Author Topic: Bottled Sauce - Not bad  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Bottled Sauce - Not bad
« on: October 19, 2007, 05:29:51 PM »
I prefer to make my own tomato sauce (although it is still the weakest part of my pies), but am always on the lookout for a bottled sauce I can doctor up if pressed for time. I tried one today that was pretty good without any tweaking - much better than any bottled sauce I've ever tried. I bought it from a local store, but they have a web site if you are willing to get a case.

https://www.rosellisfood.com/html/mail.html

Something worth trying. I don't use much sauce - maybe 1/3 - 1/2 cup per pie, so a bottle goes a long way.

Bill/SFNM

Offline oparea

Re: Bottled Sauce - Not bad
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 12:43:25 AM »
I prefer to make my own tomato sauce (although it is still the weakest part of my pies), but am always on the lookout for a bottled sauce I can doctor up if pressed for time. I tried one today that was pretty good without any tweaking - much better than any bottled sauce I've ever tried. I bought it from a local store, but they have a web site if you are willing to get a case.

Something worth trying. I don't use much sauce - maybe 1/3 - 1/2 cup per pie, so a bottle goes a long way.

Bill/SFNM

I second that, good sauce.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 09:41:53 AM »
From New Jersey to New Mexico very cool. Note price includes shipping $4 a pop right?Not too bad, and you can mix and match a case too!
The other I like in a pinch is Casa Visco Jarred and only available at select stores but becoming more available recently
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 06:40:50 AM »
I know a few people that often use Hunts canned spaghetti sauce as their pizza sauce.  I myself haven't tried it.

I've got a can of Muir Glenn organic pizza sauce, but ever since I got a magic bullet and began experimenting with making my own sauce I really haven't had the urge to try a premade sauce, still I need to try it out sometime and see how it fares.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 01:24:27 PM »
The muir Glen pizza sauce is also *** of ***** for me
Now their Diced organic tomatoes *****
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 03:06:46 PM »
Lately I have been baking great quantities of pizzas at every opportunity to improve my crusts. Since the focus has been on the crust, I have often just been throwing together a simple sauce from canned tomatoes. But today I went to the cupboard to fetch a can and the cupboard was bare! There was this bottled pasta sauce from Trader Joe's that turned out to be surprisingly good. Better than good. Not great, but very, very good if you are looking for a zesty sauce. I think I'll keep some of these in the pantry. Let me know if you have tried this on pizza and what you think.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
I have used DelGrosso New York Style and I think it's pretty good. I use it when I'm too lazy to make my own. Their Tomato Basil Pasta Sauce is excellent too (for pasta that is, not pizza). It's not sweet like too many jar sauces are. It's cheap and they sell it at most supermarkets in my area.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 03:38:54 PM by Colonel_Klink »
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 06:00:49 PM »
Just open a can of good quality crushed tomatoes and add the herbs of your choice. Nothing is easier, cheaper or better.

Offline slybarman

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 08:14:10 PM »
I've got a can of Muir Glenn organic pizza sauce, but ever since I got a magic bullet and began experimenting with making my own sauce I really haven't had the urge to try a premade sauce, still I need to try it out sometime and see how it fares.

I like the Muir Glenn canned sauce.

Offline petef

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 01:49:22 AM »
The muir Glen pizza sauce is also *** of ***** for me
Now their Diced organic tomatoes *****
John

Can you please rephrase that?  I can't tell whether love them or hate them. LOL