Author Topic: 6 in 1 alternative  (Read 3099 times)

Offline aicfuel

6 in 1 alternative
« on: September 02, 2007, 02:33:31 PM »
Hey everyone. So my sister came up to visit and I wanted to make her a Lou's pizza. I started making the dough yesterday, I used loowaters recipe because It's very good, and when I  was about to put it in the warm oven to rise, she wanted to bake something. So instead of letting it rise I just put it in the fridge for 24 hours. I believe no one has tried this so I'll let you know what I think at the end.

Now today I started to make the pizza and I saw that there was mold on my 6 in 1 sauce that I saved from  the last time I made this. I didn't have any more sauce so I ran to the grocery store and bought two items that I thought would taste just like it. The two items were Full Circle Organic Crushed tomatoes and Full Circle Organic Diced tomatoes. I used about half a can of the Crushed tomatoes and I mixed it with the whole can of the diced tomatoes after draining the juice. I also saved the juice because it has some of the citric acid that needs to mix with the sweetness of the crushed sauce.

I was very pleased with the alternative sauce and I would suggest that if anyone is in a bind and ran out of 6 in 1, then they should try this. There is also an organic brand called Del Monte, and they have pretty much the same thing as Full Circle, so you can probably try that too. I thought these would be good because the organic sauces usually don't have citric acid so it is similar to Escalon and Full Red brands.

Also, the dough turned out ok. It still tasted good but you should definitely let it rise in a warm oven before putting it in the fridge.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: 6 in 1 alternative
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 02:58:57 PM »
aicfuel,

Sometime you might want to try the Wal-Mart Great Value crushed tomatoes in puree (28 oz.), which I have found to be a good substitute for the 6-in-1s. It is a bit saltier than the 6-in-1s and may not have the chunkiness you got from the blend you used, but, at a bit over a dollar a can (the last time I bought a can), it's hard to go wrong. The Wal-Mart product does contain citric acid, however, which the 6-in1s do not.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 03:01:51 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline aicfuel

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 09:33:41 PM »
I'll have to try that If I run out of 6 in 1. It's ok to have some of that Citric acid taste because it says on the box of the frozen Lou's pizza's that there is citric acid in the ingredients.

Offline garyd

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 04:42:33 AM »
Did DKM ever post a video of making this Pizza here or elsewhere?