Author Topic: Papa John's Pizza  (Read 28138 times)

Offline torontonian

Re: Papa John's Pizza
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2009, 07:18:35 PM »
Having enjoyed the result with Pete-zza's PJ clone, I decided to give Randy's original formulation a go.

Using the dough tool, I created a formula for 3x 14" dough balls. The tool indicated 4.98t of IDY.

I made the dough and this morning I woke up to see that they had exploded out of their containers in the fridge into masses the size of basketballs  :o

I'm guessing I made a mistake with the yeast amount.

Re-reading the original recipe if specifies SAF Perfect Rise yeast. (not a product I've seen around here) I used IDY, as some of Peter's follow-on formulations say IDY. I wonder if the original quantity was supposed to be ADY.

Can someone confirm if its ADY or IDY (or some other yeast variety) in the quantity? Did I make a mistake elsewhere?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2009, 08:11:10 PM »

I am away from my home base at the moment and don't have access to my latest baker's percent version of Randy's recipe but the use of IDY is correct and your amount of IDY looks to be OK. With almost 5 teaspoons of IDY and 120 degrees F water, you will get substantial and rapid dough expansion. It's just the nature of the dough chemistry. If your storage containers are not big enough to contain the dough under the circumstances, it is quite likely that you will see the lids blown off. Even if your containers have lids with small holes in them to allow release of built up gasses, the force of the gas production can be so powerful as to still blow the lids off.

Offline torontonian

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2009, 08:58:19 PM »
Thanks Peter for confirming 5tsp of IDY is accurate for 3 fourteen inch dough balls.

Perhaps my water was >120 degrees, and that is the culprit then. I use a standard oven temperature gauge (the kind you stick in a turkey) to measure running water from the tap. I saw it go 117-118-119 and stopped there. If I had kept the thermometer in place, the resting temperature may have indeed been higher.

I will try this again, since I enjoyed Peter's PJ dough so much. The alcohol smell when I pulled these "basketballs" out of the containers was very strong. I didn't risk using these. Plus they had dried out on top.

Going to try again and watch the water temp more closely.

-- Josh
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:26:46 PM by torontonian »