Author Topic: Rising cost of mozzerella  (Read 7451 times)

Offline crowpruitt

Rising cost of mozzerella
« on: October 23, 2007, 10:20:33 AM »
Hi guys,with the rising price of cheese I  am thinking about mixing provolone with mozzarella.I was thinking about a 2 to1 type ratio of mozz to prov.Provolone is slightly cheaper so it would save me a little.Any thoughts on this? ???Thanks to all replies :)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Rising cost of mozzerella
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 10:34:59 AM »
Crow,

What form (e.g., shredded or diced, whole milk or part-skim) and brand of mozzarella cheese are you using, and are you portioning it (in cups or by weighing) or free throwing it? Have you increased your pizza prices?

If Grande is available to you, they have a very nice mozzarella/Provolone 50/50 blend, in both shredded and diced form (http://www.grandecheese.com/products/Pages/ProductGroup.aspx?Level=1&ProductGroupID=1&ProductCategoryID=3&ProductSubCategoryID=1). Grande is not cheap but most operators who use the Grande cheeses say they need less of it for coverage than other brands and the Grande cheeses have high customer acceptance. Also, if you buy exclusively from Grande they will offer special incentives (see http://www.grandecheese.com/businessbuilding/Pages/100Percenter.aspx).

Peter
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:58:56 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline crowpruitt

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 11:48:57 PM »
We get our mozz in cases of 8 6lb loafs and shred it ourselves.The brand is called "B&T".Its the same  name as the food company who delivers it,but it has the "Real" logo on it.Our Provolone is made by Sorretto(sp.?)We raised the price of our pies a quarter,but we can't go too high because we are in a town that is fairly small.I just thought it could save a little bit of cash mixing it.It seems as though produce is going up also.Man,times are getting a little hard on the small business owners.Thanks  a bunch for your reply Pete-zza.It was greatly appreciated.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 08:59:52 AM »
Crow,

What I wrote was a distillation of what I have read at the PMQTT forum, at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewforum.php?f=6, where professional pizza operators hang out. They are all having the same problems with the rising prices of mozzarella cheese, as you will see if you do a search on cheese. And the problem is not limited to the U.S. It is all over the place.

Peter

Offline thatguy

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 06:49:33 AM »
has anyone heard of Scotland exporting more buffalo mozz than italy? would than be due to some countries bands of importing buffalo mozz from italy- naples or an overall cheaper cost to import from Scotland?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 06:53:51 AM by thatguy »
one man, no more, no less, on no particular quest...

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 08:50:28 AM »
has anyone heard of Scotland exporting more buffalo mozz than italy? would than be due to some countries bands of importing buffalo mozz from italy- naples or an overall cheaper cost to import from Scotland?

During this video I believe Gordon Ramsay states that the UK produces more cows milk mozzarella than Italy.
http://www.asterpix.com/console/?avi=10213991
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
David,
Thanks for posting that link! The video was incredible, highlighted by Ramsey mounting a water buffalo and taking him for a little spin!
I seriously wanted to reach in a grab a piece of that caprese... and was fascinated by the addition of fresh lemon juice at the end!

I hope that Scotland can give Italy some competition because when I want a special treat or have a few extra dollars, I love to buy imported fresh buffalo mozz.

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline thatguy

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 08:18:54 PM »
so does anybody know any water buffalo ranchers/dairy producers/farms in the US? i heard VT and FL might have some from some old internet postings but can't find any real recent info

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 08:39:23 PM »
thatguy,

There are a couple of domestic producers that I am aware of: Buffala Di Vermont (formerly Star Hill Dairy, http://www.starhilldairy.com/), and Bubalus Bubalis (http://www.realmozzarella.com/?from=FarmersMarketOnline). There may well be others that are more recent.

Peter

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 09:57:37 PM »
I believe that Buffala Di Vermont (formerly Star Hill Dairy, http://www.starhilldairy.com/) is still reorganizing. They sold out in Feb 08 to a new owner as they were bleeding buffalo milk, so to speak.

PNW

Offline thatguy

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 02:48:06 AM »
I believe that Buffala Di Vermont (formerly Star Hill Dairy, http://www.starhilldairy.com/) is still reorganizing. They sold out in Feb 08 to a new owner as they were bleeding buffalo milk, so to speak.

PNW

gents, you have been a great wealth of information!! thanx!!!

Offline Arj

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 10:10:31 AM »
Hi guys,with the rising price of cheese I  am thinking about mixing provolone with mozzarella.I was thinking about a 2 to1 type ratio of mozz to prov.Provolone is slightly cheaper so it would save me a little.Any thoughts on this? ???Thanks to all replies :)

Here in Italy we do not escape...pizza is ONLY with mozzarella, no other cheese is tolerated....you could change the cheese,but you have to call "Speciale" that pizza,because the normal pizza is just make with pomodoro and mozzarella (it's called "margherita") and is the better and the must-have.

The only solution I suggest you  is to rise up the price.....or increase the quality.If you increae the quality,affairs will rise up ....

Offline thatguy

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 01:52:59 AM »
anyone have the chance to try the VT  mozzerella cheese or work with? any opinions/feedback?  ???

Offline kmancpbh

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2009, 10:10:20 PM »
I am not sure of the total time involved to produce enough mozzarella for a commercial setting, but a smaller pizzeria in town is now making their own handmade mozzarella each day.  I would imagine it is cheaper, in item costs, to make your own motz, but the time involved and payroll needed to pay people to make it may erase any savings. I'm not sure. Anyone have experience with this?

The pizzeria in question I would estimate sells in the neighborhood of 200 pizza's on a busy day, give or take 25 pizzas.

We have a few local farms with non-homogenized unpasteurized milk produced in relatively small batches from organically raised cows solely on a grass diet without any antibiotics or hormones. The flavor of the mozzarella imade from this milk is quite delicious. It does not have the level of creaminess as true mozzarella di bufala from someplace like Battipaglia or other locals in Campagnia, but it is quite good, quite excellent in fact.

If I am not mistaken, most cows, without artificial assistance, will yield approximately 7-10 gallons of milk per day. Many cows in commercial large scale dairy farms are given enough hormones, steroids, etc and are milked nearly 24 hours per day to obtain a yield that can be as high as 70-90 gallons per day. Wonder if that assisted yield dilutes the "strength" of the milk and makes it less useful for good cheese making?  ???
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 07:32:43 AM by kmancpbh »

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 06:03:20 PM »
where do you live that you have a place doing that?

i guess they could charge extra for being local and organic :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 06:11:49 PM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Offline Grog

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 07:13:42 PM »
I'm interested to know too.  In Colorado, I can find un-homogenized organic milk at some of the more expensive groceries, but unpasteurized milk is still tough to come by (unless you buy shares in a cow or some other nonsense).

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 12:10:41 PM »
i use the grande 50/ 50 blend and the current price is 2.18 per pound shredded .it has a lot of provolone flavor to strong for some areas . the cleveland are is a provolone topped pizza market

pizzapan