Author Topic: Pics: First attempt Detroit, pseudo flop!  (Read 4019 times)

Offline Abouna

Pics: First attempt Detroit, pseudo flop!
« on: October 24, 2007, 10:04:05 AM »
Well after getting a start here on the forums I did two pans last night.  I used the dough & sauce recipe from goosen1 in my first post (sorry I'm not allowed to post links).  We made two pans, one pepperoni and one sausage mushroom.

The Bad:
- First off, as you can see by the pics we screwed up pretty bad at doing Detroit style.  Clearly we needed much more than 1 lb. cheese for each pie.  The cheese should have spilled over the crust and browned on the pan.
- We didn't implement the crust well.  The flavor was there but the texture was NOT.  Two things; the bottom was dry (should have used more Crisco I think) and the rest was too bready.  I was shooting for a more cookie/shortbread type crust.  Buttery and almost but not quite crumbly.
- As I've always posited, there's only one place IMO for pepperoni, on top!  If it gets covered by sauce/cheese it simply homogenizes with the other toppings.  IMO pepperoni needs direct heat to slightly crisp and pool.  The pepperoni was nearly undetectable.
- Again on the crust; as you can see we didn't bring it up the sides sufficiently, it's closer to a Pizza Hut style dish than a Chicago deep.

The Good:
- Again, the flavor of the crust was good.
- Love that sauce recipe, thanks goosen1
- The sausage mushroom flavor was really stellar.  I will do even more mushrooms next time as they pair so well with the sausage.  I'm not even that much of a mushroom fan.
- They cooked up beautifully

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: Pics: First attempt Detroit, pseudo flop!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 10:27:12 AM »
Nice pictures, Abouna.

Don't be too harsh on yourself, I think you have a knack for making pies, something tells me you are well on your way,
so keep trying and enjoy your eating your "mistakes"

Keep notes of what you do, what you liked and what you didn't, and you'll be able to get the perfect pie for your taste.

I don't know what the pizza tasted like, but it looks very very good. 

What size pans are you using there ?

Try again, and make sure you keep us posted on your next attempt, with pix too  ;D

Well after getting a start here on the forums I did two pans last night.  I used the dough & sauce recipe from goosen1 in my first post (sorry I'm not allowed to post links).  We made two pans, one pepperoni and one sausage mushroom.

The Bad:
- First off, as you can see by the pics we screwed up pretty bad at doing Detroit style.  Clearly we needed much more than 1 lb. cheese for each pie.  The cheese should have spilled over the crust and browned on the pan.
- We didn't implement the crust well.  The flavor was there but the texture was NOT.  Two things; the bottom was dry (should have used more Crisco I think) and the rest was too bready.  I was shooting for a more cookie/shortbread type crust.  Buttery and almost but not quite crumbly.
- As I've always posited, there's only one place IMO for pepperoni, on top!  If it gets covered by sauce/cheese it simply homogenizes with the other toppings.  IMO pepperoni needs direct heat to slightly crisp and pool.  The pepperoni was nearly undetectable.
- Again on the crust; as you can see we didn't bring it up the sides sufficiently, it's closer to a Pizza Hut style dish than a Chicago deep.

The Good:
- Again, the flavor of the crust was good.
- Love that sauce recipe, thanks goosen1
- The sausage mushroom flavor was really stellar.  I will do even more mushrooms next time as they pair so well with the sausage.  I'm not even that much of a mushroom fan.
- They cooked up beautifully

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Abouna

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 10:36:02 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement.

We will keep at it.  If only a person could eat what they are attempting for every meal until they get it just right!

As for the pans, they flare slightly so I measured them at the bottom 14" with the sides at 2".  These are a couple used Pizza Hut pans I bought from one of the local chians.  I figured used already seasoned pans would be better.

Nice pictures, Abouna.

Don't be too harsh on yourself, I think you have a knack for making pies, something tells me you are well on your way,
so keep trying and enjoy your eating your "mistakes"

Keep notes of what you do, what you liked and what you didn't, and you'll be able to get the perfect pie for your taste.

I don't know what the pizza tasted like, but it looks very very good. 

What size pans are you using there ?

Try again, and make sure you keep us posted on your next attempt, with pix too  ;D

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 10:46:56 AM »
Yes, I hear ya, that's a lot of pizza, for one family.  I used to experiment quite a bit, and quickly realized
that I had to reduce recipes, so that I could make fewer pizzas, but more often.  That way I found there were no
left overs ( most of the time ) and I got to make pizza more often.

I just love baking in general, love using my mixers ( insert Tim Allen's "grunt, more power" ), and it's just fun
seeing what you can come up with.

Those pans are very nice, I don't have any like that.  I wonder if what online retailer sells pans like that,, yeah a really
nice shape, and size.

Good luck with future pizza bakes !  :chef:

Thanks for the encouragement.

We will keep at it.  If only a person could eat what they are attempting for every meal until they get it just right!

As for the pans, they flare slightly so I measured them at the bottom 14" with the sides at 2".  These are a couple used Pizza Hut pans I bought from one of the local chians.  I figured used already seasoned pans would be better.

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 10:19:29 PM »
Abouna,

Those pies look to me too!!! Enjoy making and eating the pizzas that you make. It takes a while to get use to it but the fun part is eating what you created. It took a while for me but I am still learning alot from this forum. I would definitely put the pepperoni on the top so you get the oils going on the top of the pizza.. That gives pizza a totally different taste from having the pepperoni under the cheese. Man.. I'm starting to get hungry for a slice!!!

Goose
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline Abouna

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 10:22:50 PM »
Thanks Goose.

My only regret, as I alluded too, is that you'd get sick if you ate pizza as often as I'd like to make it. ::)

I'm going to get the crust just the way I like it.  I might have to do some NY style first though, it's my preference for pepperoni.

Offline goosen1

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 10:43:53 PM »
This is the thin crust recipe that I posted the other day. I can eat a piece every morning for breakfast and not get sick of it!!

Goose
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2007, 06:55:50 AM »
Keep good notes during your testing and you will get to your goal much quicker.  I like to save every tried recipe so if I get way off track I can back up and start again.

Randy

Offline Abouna

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2007, 08:04:22 AM »
This is the thin crust recipe that I posted the other day. I can eat a piece every morning for breakfast and not get sick of it!!

Goose

Beauteous!  Where's the thread for that recipe?

Offline goosen1

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2007, 07:48:52 PM »
Here is my South Side Thin Crust

Flour (100%):                                     459.87 g  |  16.22 oz | 1.01 lbs
Water (56%):                                     257.53 g  |  9.08 oz | 0.57 lbs
ADY (.85%):                           3.91 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.03 tsp | 0.34 tbsp
Salt (.60%):                            2.76 g | 0.1 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.57 tsp | 0.19 tbsp
Olive Oil (9%):                    41.39 g | 1.46 oz | 0.09 lbs | 9.2 tsp | 3.07 tbsp
Sugar (.9%):                           4.14 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.04 tsp | 0.35 tbsp
Dry Non-Fat Milk (.95%):           4.37 g | 0.15 oz | 0.01 lbs | 3.04 tsp | 1.01 tbsp
Total (168.3%):                            773.96 g | 27.3 oz | 1.71 lbs | TF = N/A

Mix water, yeast and sugar, let work for 5 minutes. Add powder milk, oil then flour. Mix for approx. 5 minutes. Place in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise for at least 1 hours. Punch down and divide the dough into 3 separate balls at 257.98 grams each. Then roll out to a 14" Diameter.

Add sauce and toppings then bake at 475-500 for 8-10 minutes

Goose

Offline goosen1

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 07:56:28 PM »
Keep good notes during your testing and you will get to your goal much quicker.  I like to save every tried recipe so if I get way off track I can back up and start again.

Randy
Your not kidding Randy.. If I could tell you how many times that I have saved my recipes over and over, I'd be lying!!!

Goose

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 08:09:07 PM »
Add sauce and toppings then bake at 475-500 for 8-10 minutes

Goose,

Maybe you've said before, but what do you bake the pizza on? Is it a pan of some sort and, if so, it is oiled first? And what is the crust like--soft, chewy, crackery?

Peter

Offline goosen1

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 08:14:20 PM »
Goose,

Maybe you've said before, but what do you bake the pizza on? Is it a pan of some sort and, if so, it is oiled first? And what is the crust like--soft, chewy, crackery?

Peter
I cook my thin crust on a piece of black granite. I would say that type of crust is a type of cracker crust. It's crisp at the edges and more flimsy toward the center.

Goose

Offline Musky

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
Goose.  I made a batch of dough tonight using your thin crust recipe.  It really comes together nicely.  After mixing, I let it sit on the counter for 20 minutes, and it is now in the frig until tomorrow night.

I'm really looking forward to baking it up.  I think you said you could get three skins out of that recipe.  I'm going to try the first one directly on a stone.  I also have screens and a cutter pan.

Kevin

Offline goosen1

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 09:44:26 PM »
Just keep us updated and take a few pics!!!!

Goose

Offline BDoggPizza

• Go Hawks!
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 10:00:55 PM »
Here's the Detroit Style Recipe I use and its comes out just about perfect for me.  We have a local joint here in town that makes Detroit style and I think this is just as good or better.  Try this and see what you think....this is for a 13 inch pan.

Detroit Style Pizza

Dough Recipe               
Flour    9 oz               
Water    5.68 oz                   
IDY    1/3 tsp               
Salt    1 tsp               
Oil    1 tsp               
Sugar    1 1/3 tsp

Toppings
70% Shredded Mozzarella cheese
30% Mild white cheddar cheese
Pizza sauce
meat & veggies

Add the yeast to the flour in a bowl and stir.  Put the water into the bowl of the stand mixer, add the salt and sugar. Stir for about a minute to dissolve the salt & sugar in the water. Using the stir speed of the mixer, gradually add the flour mixture to the water mixture. Once the flour has been taken up by the water and has formed a rough dough ball, add the oil and knead that in, at the stir speed until it has been fully incorporated into the dough. Once the dough has incorporated the oil, continue kneading the dough, at 1 or 2 speed, until the dough takes on a smooth texture and consistency and is elastic, about 5 minutes. It should be a bit tacky--not wet or dry.  It may be necessary to add a bit more flour or a bit more water to achieve the desired finished condition. Once the dough looks right, remove it from the mixer bowl and knead it by hand for about 30 seconds to a minute. If the dough feels a little bit sticky at this point, the final hand kneading will usually cause the stickiness to disappear, so don't be tempted to overcome it by adding more flour. Refrigerate for 24 hrs or up to 48 hrs in a lightly oiled container.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow to rest for one hour. Shape and stretch it out to 13 inches and fit into the pan coated with 1 or 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Push the dough out to the edge of the pan, without forming a rim. Cover the panned dough and proof for an additional 2 hours.

After the dough has proofed and just about doubled in volume, dollop some sauce on top, add the cheese being sure to push the cheese out to the edge to get that burnt cheese crust, then top it. Bake on a pizza stone that has been placed on the lowest oven rack position and preheated for about an hour at 500 degrees F. Bake for about 10-11 minutes.

Enjoy!

pizzapan