Author Topic: disaster!!!!  (Read 4269 times)

Offline Arthur

• When Brooklyn Was the World
disaster!!!!
« on: September 27, 2004, 09:42:57 AM »
We had friends over last night...I was making my "best" pizza - 3 pies!  They came especially for the pizza - they heard so much about it  :P

I had the dough out 2 hours, I started the oven on time 1 hour before....then......

the bottom electric element went bad!!!!  what a nightmare  :o

It was read hot for 15 minutes then I noticed some sparks coming from a part of it that looked like it had some old burnt cheese on top of it (that I hadn't noticed before starting the oven).  I shut the oven off for a minute then back on and the element never got red hot again  :(

The pizza was horrible.  I was so ashamed.

Luckily, I found this site to help me change it.  Hopefully I can find the right element for my 1980 oven.

http://www.ehow.com/how_112247_fix-electric-oven.html

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re:disaster!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 10:40:30 AM »
Go to sears.com ... they have a parts database for virtually all appliances. I ordered a replacement element for my Whirlpool oven from them (the same thing happened to me). The element was VERY easy to replace.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 11:53:52 AM »
Arthur,

I can sympathize with your plight.

Each New Year's Eve for the past several years I have been asked to make individual-size pizzas for from 10 to 15 people, at a home of one of my best friends.  Unfortunately, my friend does not have the best of equipment, and I am usually forced to improvise with the less than stellar stand mixer and food processor she has.  That usually means making multiple batches of dough and sometimes having to switch from one machine to the other depending on their reliability and temperament on that given day.  Also, one of the two ovens I use to bake the pizzas is prone--without warning--to stop baking altogether, forcing me to move partially baked pizzas from one oven to the other.   And, when I want to start making the pizzas, the guests are more preoccupied with drinking and gabbing.  So I have to take steps to keep the dough balls from deflating, which I do by periodically putting and removing the dough balls from a spare refrigerator in the basement.   I also make use of a proofing box as has been decribed elsewhere at this site and which I put together for my friend and resides at her house just for this occasion (the rest of the time it goes into a closet).  

Needless to say, by the time I actually get to make the pizzas, I am as nervous as an actor ready to go onto the stage.  And I am in the spotlight the whole time as everyone watches me make their customized pizzas (I even wear a chef's style jacket with my name imprinted on it), and I don't want to disappoint anyone by not giving the effort my very best.  I perhaps don't make matters any easier for myself by insisting on trying out different kinds of doughs and styles from year to year.  And each year, I try something quite different from what I have done in the past.  Fortunately, an evening-ending disaster has eluded me thus far, and my friends keep coming back each year, but I always worry that the pizzaiolo devil will catch up with me the next time.

Peter

Offline Arthur

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 12:59:22 PM »
Thanks guys....I'll try sears - looks like an easy fix if they have the part.

I'm still depressed about the whole situation, but I'm so glad we have this board to complain to others who understand  :'(

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2004, 01:15:07 PM »
Just do it again when you get it fixed (and that is easy as even I have done it).  You'll knock their socks off.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Arthur

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 04:21:22 PM »
actually bought the part from here:

http://www.repairclinic.com/0070.asp

since the Sears parts store is a drive for me and the price is the same.

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 07:38:51 AM »
actually bought the part from here:

http://www.repairclinic.com/0070.asp

since the Sears parts store is a drive for me and the price is the same.

Actually, Sears has online parts ordering (i.e., mailorder)... I never go to the local Sears parts store... too much of a hassle. I've ordered parts for lawnmowers, weedwackers, washers, ovens, you name it... they carry parts for virtually everything. And the parts are guarenteed OEM. Very convenient.

http://www3.sears.com/
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 07:39:43 AM by Steve »
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Arthur

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 07:11:13 PM »
Got the part and replaced the heating element.  As you said, VERY easy to do.  

Online Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 08:24:52 AM »
Got the part and replaced the heating element.  As you said, VERY easy to do.  
:D

Now call up your friends and make more pizza for them!!  8)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 08:25:26 AM by Steve »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 02:10:05 PM »
Right.

What time should we be over  ;)
I'm on too many of these boards

pizzapan