Author Topic: I need help this weekend ::: dough recipes pleeeeeze  (Read 4067 times)

Offline snowdy

• i pledge allegiance to the pizza
    • Dataheadz Design
I need help this weekend ::: dough recipes pleeeeeze
« on: January 29, 2005, 04:07:30 AM »
I want to make a crust this weekend that is softer than the new york style recipe listed on this site.

I love the crust for that recipe....

but it seems a little too tough for my tastes.. almost too leathery.

I like it to be crispy on the outside and nice and soft on the inside. Not too chewy and not too filling either. One thing i noticed about the NYC style crust on this site is after 3 or 4 pieces i felt like going to sleep for the next few days!! It was awesome, but i was full!!

I read all the time about how pizzas like patsy's or grimaldi's can be so light.... almost to where you can eat an entire pie and not feel full.

How can i make a crust like that? should i just roll the NYC style pizzamaking.com crust out thinner?

My stone can handle a 15" pizza. So far unless anyone posts to this threads with thin recipes, im going to try pete's recipe for a 15" lehmann style.

If you have any thinner lighter crust recipes... please post in this thread. I hate the superbowl but we all watch it anyways... at least we can have some nice pies to pass the time :D

thanks guys!!!

pics to follow on this adventure.

::)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2005, 04:09:26 AM by snowdy »

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re: I need help this weekend ::: dough recipes pleeeeeze
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 07:20:33 AM »
I went back and looked at the pictures of your last effort.  Your crust was very thick, nearly as thick as a deep dish thick crust.  So shaping is half your problem.  Go here and follow the video but don't use a rolling pin as she shows in the end,  The dough should look like a dough window when streched.  Yes it is that thin.
http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/cvt033.asp
Okay use this recipe.  Use high gluten flour if you can but use bread flour if you don't have it but the flavor will not be as good.
Randy

16 oz  3 1/2 cups High Gluten Flour (Hard Red Spring Wheat) or bread flour.

9.6  oz Water by weight(warm 120deg.  F)

1 TBS   sugar

1 TBS Honey

1 Tablespoon  Crisco

2  Teaspoon Salt

1 package SAF Perfect Rise or Gourmet yeast

Mix flour and salt.  Put yeast and half the flour in the mixer.  Mix the sugar and honey into the hot water.  Pour mixture into bowl and place mixer using dough hook on stir for about 2 minutes.  Stop mixer. Add Olive oil and the rest of the flour, then set mixer to knead.  Knead for 13 minutes.  If the dough is sticking to the bottom of the bowl add a tablespoon of flour or more until the dough patch beneath the ball is say the size of a silver dollar.  You may need to add water.  Finish knead on a lightly floured surface and shape into a ball  Place in the refrigerator in a lightly sealed container coated with olive oil. for overnight up to three days.

Remove 3  hours before panning
Remove from the fridge and divide dough in half on a slightly wet marble or counter.  Work each piece of dough into balls with wet hands.   

If using screens Preheat oven to 500 deg F  Mix together an equal mixture of Semolina, flour and cornmeal.  Liberally coat the dough ball and marble with the mixture. Shape dough and place on pizza screen and add what you want. Cook for 6-8 minutes on lowest rack in oven and WITHOUT a pizza stone

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 03:38:58 PM »
thanks Randy :)

a few questions.... am i using the right kind of yeast for your recipe?
http://www.dataheadz.com/pizzamaking/ingredients.jpg

2nd, i only have a stone (no screens) but i can go get a screen easy enough. would you recommend the screen over the stone? if so, why?

thanks for your help!!

Dave

Offline snowdy

• Dataheadz Design
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 07:41:52 PM »
I just noticed that olive oil wasnt listed on the ingredients list for this dough :P

i saw it just now after in the directions below the list... my dough was already mixing so i just threw in about 1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil.

i hope thats okay

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 09:16:32 PM »
Just got back in town.
 The ingredants should have read either crisco or oil but that 1 1/2 will be fine.  What happned was i modified my recipe to be closer to what you had said in another post but in my hurry to get on the road I made a few mistakes.
A stone will be fine also.  But try a screen sometime.  it makes pizza life a litle easier.  The stone is still a great way to cook a pizza.

Let me know how it turned out.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 01:58:47 PM »
I interchange stones and screens on a whim.  I do recoomend picking up a screen next time you have a chance.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards