Author Topic: Anyone ever been to Spacca Napoli in Chicago?  (Read 2096 times)

Offline humpty99

Anyone ever been to Spacca Napoli in Chicago?
« on: October 27, 2007, 05:01:54 PM »
I'm going to Chicago next weekend, and was going to try this place.  Anyone have any thoughts?  I'd also really like to know if its somewhere that you have to wait hours to get in, moderate waits, or if you can typically walk-in.  If you have to wait forever, I may try it for lunch instead of dinner.  Thanks for any info.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Anyone ever been to Spacca Napoli in Chicago?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 05:14:16 PM »
humpty99,

See http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3522.msg29736.html#msg29736. If you do a forum search under "Spacca Napoli", without the quotes, you will find a few other posts on the pizzeria.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 05:16:26 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline humpty99

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 08:35:54 PM »
Hey thanks.  Not quite sure why it skipped my mind to do a search, but found out what I was looking for.  Little disappointed to hear that that crust is more bready than airy, but I will try it nevertheless.

Offline DaveK

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 11:27:25 AM »
humpty --

We ate at Spacca Napoli this summer and really enjoyed it. Let the owner, Jonathan, know that you're a pizza freak and he'll show you around if it's not too busy. On a weekend, get there as soon as they open for dinner and you shouldn't have to wait. Be careful -- it's about a $50 cab ride (round trip) from downtown. Unless you're on an expense account, take the train.

About the pizza itself, it's undoubtedly authentic Neapolitan (Jonathan studied there extensively), but is much wetter than most Americans are used to, especially with the mozzarella di bufala. They're also very generous with the olive oil. The pies are actually kind of soupy, but with a great soft crust. They bake at about 950 F, so it only takes about 45-50 seconds. It's a lot of fun to watch the pizzaioli at work.

Enjoy yourself and please give us a report when you get back.

Dave

Offline humpty99

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 08:41:22 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I am pretty familiar with the Chicago area, so I will probably just hop in my car and drive.  I think its far enough out of downtown to be able to find parking.  I'll let you know what I think when we get back.  This will be my first time at a real authentic Neapolitan pizzaria.

Offline humpty99

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 10:56:15 PM »
Well, I'm back.  I really enjoyed Spaca Napoli, although I think I may have built it up in my mind a little more than I should have.  It was my first real Neapolitan experience, and my expectations were big, but I did come away with more respect for my own pizza.  Not to say that mine is better, or even as good, but I think I'm in the ballpark and my guests agreed.  I really thought that I would go there, and not even want to eat my pizza anymore; however, aside from their far superior soft textured crust I think mine tastes very similar.  I can only cook at 550 in my convection oven so I can't get that super light softness that they can achieve with a wetter dough and hotter temps.  I would like to try some other places to see if they are vastly different, or pretty similar.  The pictures attached are from my oven, and aside from the crust texture, the taste is actually right on par with the pizzas I had from Spaca Napoli.

Offline DaveK

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 11:23:35 AM »
I'm glad you had a chance to try Spacca Napoli. Which pie did you have, and how did you find it in terms of soupiness?

Dave

Offline humpty99

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 08:46:25 PM »
I was with a group of 4 so we split three pies.  We had the Margherita, Mushroom, and Proscuitto and Arugula.  I didn't have any with the Buffalo Mozz. on it, so I didn't get the super soupy pie.  They were definately wetter than anything I've had at a restaurant, but not that much different than what I make at home.  There were no pools of liquid in the middle like some people have talked about.  Its strange because we have a wood-fired oven place in Fort Wayne where I live called Casa's, and I thought Spacca would blow it out of the water but I came aways thinking Casa's was pretty close to Spacca.  Probably less authentic (Casa's crust is a little thicker), but just as good really.

pizzapan