Author Topic: Tom Lehmann's NY Style Pizza  (Read 458255 times)

Offline wilsonc91

Re: Tom Lehmann's NY Style Pizza
« Reply #940 on: December 16, 2011, 05:18:11 PM »
wilsonc91,

Since you posted in this thread, I assume that you have been using a Lehmann NY style dough. It might help to know which specific Lehmann dough recipe you used but the problem you mentioned in the context of a standard Lehmann NY style dough can have many potential causes, including overkneading or underkneading the dough, insufficient fermentation time, overhandling the dough just prior to using (such as re-kneading, re-balling or re-working the dough just before opening it up), working with the dough while it is cold (e.g., directly out of the refrigerator or without sufficient tempering/warmup at room temperature), or difficulties in opening up the dough so that the thickness at the center of the skin is not materially less than the rest of the skin. A dough that is overfermented can also develop tears and holes but usually such a dough will not spring back when forming and stretching into a skin. If you used a preferment or starter version of a Lehmann dough, under certain conditions that could also result in a dough that is too strong and prone to overelasticity. Do any of these possibilities strike a familiar chord?

Peter

Thanks for the reply!

I'm using the recipe in the original post, I flattened out the dough on my countertop, and let it rise again for about an hour before working with it. Prior to that, it rested in my refridgerator for 24 hours. Admittedly, my technique is probably not great. Are there any videos that are recommended to watch?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 05:23:00 PM by wilsonc91 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #941 on: December 16, 2011, 05:30:13 PM »
wilsonc91,

There are all kinds of videos that have been cited on the forum, for many different pizza styles, but you might want to take a look at those cited in Reply 789 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg107363/topicseen.html#msg107363. Ultimately, practice will be the best teacher.

Peter

Offline wilsonc91

« Reply #942 on: December 22, 2011, 11:32:48 AM »
What do you guys do to avoid an overly puffy rim?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #943 on: March 07, 2012, 08:26:42 AM »
Since I was planning on going on the pizza tour this Friday with the other members of this forum, (if I can go now since my refrigerator broke down completely last evening and my mom started having bad back problems yesterday) I knew I wouldnít be able to make the preferment part of the Lehmann dough.  I decided after I tasted Steveís Lehmann dough pizzas at his home at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17934.0.html  I was going to try his formulation for market for the week I canít make the preferment.  Steve had started using that formulation after I had tried the different attempts on the pizzas at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17417.0.html   but Steve modified that formulation to use less oil and some of the other ingredients and upped the salt in the formulation.  

I just made one dough ball to try out to see how it would bake in the deck oven.  I didnít have time to mix Steveís formulation until Monday evening, so I had upped the IDY and had left the dough ball sit out at room temperature for 1 Ĺ hrs. before cold fermenting for almost one day.  I had planned to make the pizza in the late afternoon to see how it would bake and taste.  When it came time to start to open the dough ball the dough ball started opening nicely, but all of a sudden we became very busy.  The skin was only partly opened and I had to start making regular pizzas for my customers.  The partly open skin was then covered with two cut plastic bags.  It sat on the marble slab for over an hour.  I should have taken a picture of what the partly opened skin looked like, but Steve and I didnít have much hope for it because it was sticking to the marble slab, and sure was not the easiest to pick up (became deformed).  I lightly dusted the skin with bench flour again and continued.  The resulting pie sure was good even with all the problems.  It had to be baked on the top deck because we were too busy to try to put it on the bottom deck.  I do bake on the top deck but not as often as the bottom deck.  Surprisingly, even after the problem of the skin being deformed the final Lehmann dough pizza was very good.  I think it could have been better looking in appearance, but Steve, my taste testers and I thought it tasted about the same as my preferment Lehmann dough pizzas.

This is a video of Steve cutting the pie with a pizza cutter.  

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTyazmid8Ko" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTyazmid8Ko</a>

Thanks Steve for giving me a formulation to use for next Monday.  It produced a very good pizza.  ;D

This is a print out of Steveís formulation (with changed IDY I used) for the Lehmann dough and the pictures of the final pizza.

Norma
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:28:20 AM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #944 on: March 07, 2012, 08:29:42 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #945 on: March 07, 2012, 08:30:53 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #946 on: March 07, 2012, 08:31:49 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #947 on: March 07, 2012, 08:34:42 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #948 on: March 07, 2012, 08:35:39 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #949 on: March 07, 2012, 08:36:20 AM »

I did use KASL as the flour in Steve's formulation, just like Steve does.

Norma
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:38:06 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #950 on: March 12, 2012, 07:28:52 PM »
Since I was on the Pizza Tour on Friday I couldnít start the preferment part of the Lehmann dough so today I used Steve formulation and made all my dough balls with Steveís formulation.  This is just one picture of some of the dough balls made today.  I sure hope everything works out okay tomorrow with the pizzas made with Steve's formulation because it is supposed to be nice weather in our area and market probably will be crowded.

Norma

Offline franko9752

« Reply #951 on: March 12, 2012, 07:52:12 PM »
Since I was on the Pizza Tour on Friday I couldnít start the preferment part of the Lehmann dough so today I used Steve formulation and made all my dough balls with Steveís formulation.  This is just one picture of some of the dough balls made today.  I sure hope everything works out okay tomorrow with the pizzas made with Steve's formulation because it is supposed to be nice weather in our area and market probably will be crowded.

Norma
Thats about how many dough balls i made today for my pizza thing tue.wed. and thurs.  Whan kind of bags do you use? I put mine in shallow trays with covers.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #952 on: March 12, 2012, 08:30:43 PM »
Thats about how many dough balls i made today for my pizza thing tue.wed. and thurs.  Whan kind of bags do you use? I put mine in shallow trays with covers.

Frank,

That is interesting that is exactly how many dough balls you made for your pizza you are making at another place.  I made more, but didnít take pictures of all of them. The plastic bags are food safe bags I get here.  http://www.webstaurantstore.com/plastic-food-bag-6x3x12-1000-bx/1306312%20%20%20%20%201M.html  I use those plastic food safe bags because they donít take up much room and keep the dough balls moist.  Tom Lehmann gave me the advise to use them.

These are more food safe bags if you are interested.  http://www.webstaurantstore.com/335/plastic-food-bags.html

Norma

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #953 on: March 12, 2012, 10:49:46 PM »
This thread looks interesting...I just want to be part of it...Thanks, RJelli :chef:
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #954 on: March 14, 2012, 08:26:29 AM »
Steveís Lehmann dough formulation worked out very well yesterday for making the pizzas for market.  I had changed the yeast amount on Monday to 0.50% for a one day cold ferment.  The resulting pizzas tasted and almost looked the same as when using the preferment Lehmann dough.  I made Greek Style pizzas and pizza pinwheels and other products with Steveís Lehmann dough formulation.  They all worked out well.  Some of the dough balls had to be opened cold right from the pizza prep fridge.  The cold dough balls did open well, but there was a couple of small bubbles from opening the dough balls without any temper time.

Video of Steve cutting one of the pizzas. 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44-cRSXBl3Y" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44-cRSXBl3Y</a>
   This pizza had Alfredo sauce, two kinds of mozzarella, spinach, Romano cheese and oven roasted apple wood smoked bacon as the dressings.  My distributor had given me a case of the wrong Stanislaus product last week.  They gave me Full Red.  With my regular added ingredients the pizza sauce was very tasty.

Pictures of some of the pizzas from yesterday.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #955 on: March 14, 2012, 08:27:38 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #956 on: March 14, 2012, 08:28:50 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #957 on: March 14, 2012, 08:31:00 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #958 on: March 14, 2012, 08:32:18 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #959 on: March 14, 2012, 08:34:01 AM »
Norma