On New Year's Eve, while I was visiting friends in Massachusetts, I was called upon to make a variety of pizzas (a total of eight) to celebrate the approach of the new year. I had decided in advance that three of these should be 16-inch NY style pizzas based on Tom L.'s NY style dough recipe. Since I did not have any high-gluten flour on hand, I decided to use bread flour (King Arthur brand) and supplement it with some Arrowhead vital wheat gluten (VWG) to approximate the protein content of KA's Sir Lancelot high-gluten flour. The recipe I chose to use, and many of the techniques employed, were similar to what I had reported on in an earlier posting at this thread (Reply #65, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg5635.html#msg5635
The ingredients for the recipe I used were as follows:
KA bread flour (100%), 12.45 oz. (about 2 3/4 c.)
Arrowhead VWG (2.5%), 0.31 oz. (just shy of 1 T.)
Water (62%), 7.70 oz. (just shy of 1 c.), plus 1 T. (to compensate for the VWG)
Salt (1.75%), 0.22 oz. (about 1.10 t.)
Oil (1%), 0.12 oz. (about 3/4 t.)
IDY (0.25%), 0.31 oz. (between 1/4 and 1/3 t.)
Sugar, 0.07 oz. (about 1/2 t.)
To prepare the dough, I used my friends' variable-speed Braun food processor. I combined all the dry ingredients for each dough ball in the bowl of the processor, gradually added the water (which I had temperature-adjusted to achieve a finished dough temperature of about 80 degrees F), and then pulsed the dough until it came together into a rough ball between the blade and the sides of the bowl, about 2 to 3 minutes. I then added the oil and kneaded for about another minute or two. The dough was a bit sticky at this point, so I removed it from the bowl and kneaded it a bit more by hand on a work surface using a small amount of bench flour--just until the dough was a bit tacky but elastic and smooth. I oiled the dough with a little bit of olive oil, placed it into a plastic storage bag, and then into the refrigerator, where it stayed for the next 24 hours or so. The weight of each dough ball was about 21 ounces.
About 2 hours before I planned to shape the three dough balls into pizza rounds, I removed them from the refrigerator and let them sit at room temperature (which was around 64 degrees F). I then shaped the dough balls, one by one, into 16-inch rounds. The dough was extemely easy to shape and stretch into pizza rounds. Each was dressed, baked on a 16-inch pizza screen on an upper oven rack for several minutes and then for a final few minutes on a 15-inch round pizza stone that had been preheated for about an hour at around 500-550 degrees F. Because each pizza was topped differently, as noted below, I used the color of the crusts to determine when to shift from the screen to the stone. In my case, when the dough for a pizza started to turn light brown at the rim (which was puffy at this point) and the cheeses were just starting to turn color, I shifted the pizza to the stone for the final few minutes of baking, or until I got the desired top and bottom crust color and cheese browning. All three pizzas turned out very well and were well received by the guests, notwithstanding their less than sober condition.
What came as a surprise was how well the crust made from the above recipe could hold up to a lot of toppings, without getting soggy or collapsing from the weight of the toppings. The first pizza had the fewest toppings. It was a simple yet classic pepperoni pizza with a roughly 50/50 blend of whole milk mozzarella and provolone cheeses, a simple 6-in-1 tomato sauce (tomatoes right out of the can), a few dried herbs and fresh basil, a drizzling of olive oil, and freshly-grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (after baking). The second pizza was a sausage pizza with all of the other toppings mentioned above (other than the pepperoni) and also a decent scattering of diced green peppers and onions, and some grated Asiago cheese. The final pizza, which I dubbed the "Kitchen Sink" pizza, had all of the toppings and cheeses mentioned above for the other two pizzas (including both pepperoni and sausage) plus a fair amount of sauteed mushrooms and several dollops of fresh mozzarella cheese in addition to the other cheeses. I was afraid that I was about to enter the failure zone with a real mess on my hands, and even some of the guests were starting to fret as I loaded on the toppings. But, remarkably, the crust rose to the challenge and the final pizza turned out to be the most popular of the three pizzas.