Author Topic: Wal-Mart Great Value Concentrated Crushed Tomatoes  (Read 7272 times)

Offline cooper

• I Love Pizza!
Wal-Mart Great Value Concentrated Crushed Tomatoes
« on: November 01, 2007, 09:48:22 PM »
I found and used these last weekend.  The concentrated version is nice and thick.  Shake the regular can and you hear tomatoes sloshing around.  Not so with the concentrated stuff.  Ingredients: crushed tomatoes.  There was nothing about added acid or other garbage.

I don't have much experience with different tomato brands, but these tasted good to me.  I've seen Great Value mentioned here before, but not the concentrated variety.  Good deal for a little under a buck. 

I prefer a relatively dry sauce.  Usually I resort to wicking away excess water with paper towels.  These thick tomatoes are perfect right out of the can.

Offline cooper

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Wal-Mart Great Value Concentrated Crushed Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 04:16:19 AM »
Has no one else seen or tried these? 

Some Great Value products are surprisingly good quality; other stuff is mediocre at best.  I'm thinking these must be from one of the better makers due to the lack of citric acid or other junk.

$.92 a can here.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 04:33:05 AM by cooper »

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 08:44:24 AM »
Cooper,

Thanks for the heads up.
Thats a great price too...
Hope they have it at our Walmart

regards,
willard
2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Offline Link

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 12:58:58 PM »
Thanks, I'm going to give them a try.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 07:37:14 PM »
These are all I ever use.  A good second to 6in1.

Offline cooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 11:13:17 PM »
These are all I ever use.  A good second to 6in1.

Ah, that's good news.  My taste buds must be decently functional. :)

I hadn't heard about this "concentrated" version.  I haven't tried the regular, but concentrated seems the way to go.  If necessary it could be easily thinned down.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 10:59:05 AM »
I went looking at my local Canadian WalMart and the only thing they had was the regular Great Value crushed tomatoes.  Are these greatly inferior to the concentrated version?

Offline yaddayaddayadda

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 10:33:28 PM »
I went looking at my local Canadian WalMart and the only thing they had was the regular Great Value crushed tomatoes.  Are these greatly inferior to the concentrated version?

Personally, I don't think they're bad at all.  I bought some of the regular crushed variety, and the sauce was phenomenal.  I used a can of the tomatoes, a tsp of EVOO, maybe a tsp of dried oregano and a clove of crushed garlic.  One of my best pies - of course I say that every week  :-D

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2007, 09:21:52 AM »
Hmmmm....I went and bought a can recently, opened it up, and just threw it out.  It looked and smelled pretty unappetizing.  I wound up going with Unico sauce, plus a little bit of Atlantic Superstore original pasta sauce, watered down slightly to make it runnier, and it was heavenly.

I'm actually going to go pick up Aurora crushed tomatoes from Halifax today....those are a great crushed tomatoes base to use for a good sauce.

Offline The Pontificator

• Angry Samoan
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 11:15:12 AM »
I don't know if I've seen the concentrated crushed tomatoes or not. When in a Wal-Mart I'm usually looking for the GV whole plum tomatoes which haven't been stocked lately. They've been replaced with "plum tomato strips in puree". Some of the smaller WM Supercenters don't even carry those.

"I hope you choke on a biscotti!"

Offline The Pontificator

• Angry Samoan
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 11:18:30 AM »
Personally, I don't think they're bad at all.  I bought some of the regular crushed variety, and the sauce was phenomenal.  I used a can of the tomatoes, a tsp of EVOO, maybe a tsp of dried oregano and a clove of crushed garlic.  One of my best pies - of course I say that every week  :-D

Christmas day I made a pot of "Sunday Gravy" using 2 cans of GV plum tomato strips and one can of GV crushed tomatoes (regular variety). It turned out great. My experience with GV tomato products has been generally favorable.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 04:24:22 PM »
My local Wal-Mart doesn't carry the concentrated crushed tomatoes, but has the "crushed tomatoes in puree".  Is this about the same?

Offline The Pontificator

• Angry Samoan
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 09:21:17 PM »
In my travels today I stopped in a Walmart in Walterboro, SC that had the GV Concentrated Crushed Tomatoes.  ;D

Purchased 4 cans along with 2 cans of GV pear tomato strips with basil in puree.

The Concentrated Crushed Tomatoes are VERY LOW in sodium as in a serving (1/4 cup) has only 20mg (1% of RDA). For me, that's a good thing. The regular crushed tomatoes are also low in sodium. The pear tomato strips in puree are higher.

Offline The Pontificator

• Angry Samoan
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 02:18:45 PM »
My local Wal-Mart carries both the GV Concentrated Crushed and Crushed tomatoes.

Unfortunately, not a can to be found Sunday morning.  :o Nor any anchovies...nor any GV brand rigatoni...and hardly any ricotta of any kind. Must be a lot of italian-food eatin' folks here or something....

Offline Fullback66

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 06:51:55 PM »
Randy,
6 in 1 are good tomatos? Good!!I just saw a can of 6in1 at a small farmers market. Maybe I will give them a try if I cannot find San Marzano tomatos.
fb66
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 10:54:02 AM by Fullback66 »

Offline Fullback66

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 06:39:53 AM »
COuld not find the GV concentrated crushed tomatos in the Detroit area. I only went to one Wal-mart.

I did Find 6in1 at the local Farms Market. It is packed with its own puree.

I think I will give it a try.

I am still on the hunt for San Marzano tomatos.

fb66

fb66

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 01:27:18 PM »
If I could get 6 in1 locally I would sure go for them.

Randy

Offline Fullback66

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 06:24:29 AM »
I bought a couple of 1 pound 12oz. cans of 6in1 for $1.69. There are more on the shelf.
I need to pick up beef stock and I am ready to make pizza sauce.
fb66

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 08:08:29 AM »
Last night I made four 12" pizzas for my family and, on the three that used sauce, I used my regular recipe substituting the Wal-Mart GV Concentrated for my usual 6in1's. According to all, there was no difference. My personal opinion is that, straight out of the can, the 6in1s have a slightly better tomato taste but, when mixed with olive oil, garlic, and herbs, the difference is not worth the extra $1.83 per can. With shipping, my 6in1 costs are $2.75 per 28 oz. can; the Wal-Mart Concentrated were $0.92 per 29 oz. can.  Thank you much for the heads up, Cooper. It is appreciated.   Art
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 08:07:54 AM »
I finally had a chance to try out these Concetrated Crushed GV tomatoes yesterday.  I saw them on the shelf and purchased a can as well as the regular crushed GV tomatoes which I already knew were good.  For $.92 how do you not?  Opened the concentrated first and tried them straight and didn't care for them.  They tasted, to me anyway, too cooked down and bitter like tomato paste.  I opened the regular crushed tomatoes and sampled them, straight from the can as well, and found them to be much sweeter, brighter, and fresher tasting.  They both had the same "use by" date of 03/01/10.  I ended up tossing out the concentrated but, again, for $.92, they were worth a try.  I'll again endorse the regular GV Crushed Tomatoes as being better than OK, and a downright good alternative to 6 in 1's but I'll pass on the concentrated.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

pizzapan