Author Topic: Pete-zza Does DKM Cracker Style  (Read 76418 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Pete-zza Does DKM Cracker Style
« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2012, 10:15:29 AM »
Craig,

You probably would be a natural if you ever tried out a cracker style since you made a lot of different kinds of crackers before.  ;D  I often thought about making crackers to sell at market, but never really learned how to do that.  Maybe someday you could start a thread about making crackers.  

Norma

There was a time I has hooked on making cheese crackers of all sorts. I'll tell you what, they will make you fat faster than pizza ever thought about doing. I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms again.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2012, 10:36:03 AM »
There was a time I has hooked on making cheese crackers of all sorts. I'll tell you what, they will make you fat faster than pizza ever thought about doing. I'm not sure I want to open that can of worms again.

CL

Craig,

Thanks for telling me at the time you were hooked on making cheese crackers of all sorts.  You donít have to open that cans of worms again.  :-D I saw different places that were selling what are supposed to be artisan crackers (with interesting ingredients) that are homemade with attractive packaging that sell for pretty prices.  I might look into making them in my deck oven or convection oven at market.  Sorry to get this thread off-topic.  I could even try my convection oven at market for a cracker style pizza instead of my deck oven.

I also played around with a matzo dough on another thread and that dough did turn out something like crackers or a cracker-style pie, but it didnít have any yeast in the dough.  That was just a couple of experiments.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »
Norma,

Did you miss nick57 "Dough Doctor's cracker...no fail!" thread ? Looks like everything you need is right there...

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #203 on: April 27, 2012, 01:37:35 PM »
Norma,

Did you miss nick57 "Dough Doctor's cracker...no fail!" thread ? Looks like everything you need is right there...

Bob

Bob,

No, I didnít miss Nickís thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18731.0.html  Since I had tried Peterís formulation in the dough enhancer thread I wanted to see if I could master that first.  Nickís cracker style pie looks amazing!  ;D I might go on to try Nickís formulation in the future.  I think Nick first got his idea partly from the matzo thread at Reply 60 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10703.msg180271.html#msg180271 and Reply 62 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10703.msg182992.html#msg182992 Nick can correct me if I am wrong.

Norma

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #204 on: April 27, 2012, 04:34:16 PM »
Norma's right, I got a great tip from the Matzo thread and the video. It helped make my last two pies very crackery, thin and crispy. Lawman tried it and did not have quite the success that I had. He did mention that he was not using a pizza stone. He did not get any bubbles or lamination, but the crust was crispy. I think you need a stone so the contact with the skin and high heat will cause moisture to turn to steam and create bubbles.
I told Lawman that I will have another go at a pie next week. I will use the same procedure as the last two pies. Hopefully I will make a 3rd great pie. But, failure is an option. This is a difficult learning curve, but the results are worth the time and trouble. I'll post my results on the No Fail thread whether it turns out good or bad. This is the place to learn, and the best way to learn is from our mistakes. I've made two years worth of "almost" pies, but finally think I am on the road to success. I've learned so much from others failures and success. Without their help, I would still be eating lousy chain store pies.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 05:26:15 PM by nick57 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #205 on: April 27, 2012, 05:43:12 PM »
Nick,

You did a great job with your cracker style pie.  :chef: I agree that everything we try with pizzas is a learning curve, but when you get tasty results it is worth the time.  I have also learned from many mistakes I made and keep making.  Hope to get to try your formulation in the future for a cracker style.  I also learn from all the members on the forum.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #206 on: April 29, 2012, 02:45:31 PM »
Well, so far this is how my cracker style attempt is going.  I changed the flour to Better for Bread flour upped the hydration a little and changed the vegetable oil to Crisco, instead of the cheap vegetable oil I was using in my last attempt.  I did sift the flour this time.  I also followed MEís advise as to gathering the food processed ingredients into a kind of ball with plastic wrap.  The dough ball was then left in my home proofing box at a little over 100 degrees F for a little over 2 hrs.  I decided to try and roll the dough out between two sheets of wax paper (because that is how I make some of my regular pie doughs) but after rolling for a little decided to roll on the table.  Unlike my last attempt this dough rolled out really well and in no time it was 11Ē.  I didnít cut the dough skin, but will cold ferment it until Tuesday and then cut it at market.  So far this attempt is going better.  Now the ďproof will be in the puddingĒ how it turns out on Tuesday.  If anyone knows of anything I did wrong let me know.

I also fed my Ischia starter last evening and it was already at room temperature, but I changed containers.  Somehow the Ischia starter must not have liked the new container and didnít ferment a lot until this morning, so I fed it again.  It looks more active now and I will use it to make another attempt with a preferment for a cracker style pizza later today.  I will post about that on Peterís thread where he tried out the preferments for a cracker style pizza.

This is the formulation I used and the pictures of how the dough was made. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: April 29, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #208 on: April 29, 2012, 02:48:57 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: April 29, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #210 on: April 29, 2012, 02:50:14 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #211 on: May 02, 2012, 07:42:33 AM »
This was the second attempt at a cracker style pie yesterday.  I rolled out the skin a little bit more (or to take a few wrinkles out of the skin), then cut the excess off so it would fit into the cutter pan.  The dough skin was docked.  Olive oil was brushed on the dough skin before the par-bake.  The skin was par-baked until it looked a little golden brown in the cutter pan.  The dressings applied were sauce, a blend of two mozzarellas, cheddar cheese and Italian hard salami and then baked again until it looked finished.  I am still not sure if this attempt was a true cracker style pizza, but this attempt was sure better than the ones I tried on the dough enhancer thread.

If anyone is interested the results of the other cracker style pizza that was made yesterday with the Ischia preferment are at Reply 51
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5173.msg185390.html#msg185390

Thanks to everyone that has helped me get this far in trying to make a cracker style pizza!  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #212 on: May 02, 2012, 07:43:17 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #213 on: May 02, 2012, 07:44:46 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #214 on: May 02, 2012, 07:45:33 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #215 on: May 02, 2012, 07:46:23 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #216 on: May 02, 2012, 07:48:58 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #217 on: May 02, 2012, 07:49:58 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #218 on: May 02, 2012, 07:51:10 AM »
Norma

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #219 on: May 02, 2012, 11:40:45 AM »
Looking good, Norma.  Congratulations. :D

How did it taste?  Were you able to achieve the crispy/crunchy texture?

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

pizzapan