Author Topic: YouTube Video - Shaping/Topping/Baking  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
YouTube Video - Shaping/Topping/Baking
« on: November 02, 2007, 03:43:02 PM »
I baked up 6 pies for lunch today for the gang. Too little time to do much editing, but here is a video which includes a beautiful tasting, light crust just the way I like it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIsks-38n_o" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIsks-38n_o</a>

Bill/SFNM

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
Re: YouTube Video - Shaping/Topping/Baking
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 04:14:25 PM »
Bill,
Excellent videos!
Was that oil and balsamic you put on top of the arugula at the end?  That pizza looks absolutely delightful!  It was fun to watch the oven spring of the crust right before my very eyes!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 04:59:08 PM »
Yah that was pretty neat indeed.  I loved seeing that dough just bake before my eyes, it was so fast.

Where is that oven located Bill ? is that in part of your house ? or is this outside ?

When you decide to bake pizzas is it usually for a crowd ? where you might make 5 or 6 pizzas or
would you fire up your pizza stove for a couple of pizzas ?

I can really see an advantage to having a pizza oven like this in the house, say in the basement, where
you could fire it up to make a single pizza, but in reality it's providing a lot of heat to the house in the winter
months.  My wife's father has a large wood burning stove in their home in Montreal where it gets down to the -20s to -30s
for most of Jan and Feb, and that stove provides amazing amounts of heat, and is very inexpensive to run ( wood is pretty inexpensive )
so I'm now thinking that there wouldn't be anything different in terms of chimney construction if the stove also baked
pizzas, as many times we will have the wood stove open for hours to enjoy it like that, ( but yes, when it is closed, that is when it produces 10x the amount of heat )

Anyway, great stuff, thanks for posting Bill.

Mark
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 05:42:34 PM »
Bill,
Excellent videos!
Was that oil and balsamic you put on top of the arugula at the end?  That pizza looks absolutely delightful!  It was fun to watch the oven spring of the crust right before my very eyes!

~sd

Thank you, sd. Yes, that was a very high-quality olive oil and a very inexpensive balsamic vinegar. It is indeed great fun every time I bake up a pie and even more fun to eat (when it comes out this good).

Bill/SFNM

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 05:48:42 PM »

Where is that oven located Bill ? is that in part of your house ? or is this outside ?

When you decide to bake pizzas is it usually for a crowd ? where you might make 5 or 6 pizzas or
would you fire up your pizza stove for a couple of pizzas ?

Mark,

Thank you!

The oven is located outside of my house. There are usually 3-6 hungry adults at my table for lunch. Even if I fire up the oven for just my wife and myself, which is rare, I always try to make good use of the residual heat by baking breads, roasting meats, etc. And extra dough balls always get put to good use - see my "More Things to Do with Leftover Pizza Dough" posts in the Other Types Board.

The pizza oven/house heater sounds like a great idea.

Bill/SFNM

Offline 2stone

• Lifetime Member
    • 2stone blog
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 06:48:29 PM »
Bill,

Absolutely stunning!....but.... you
skipped an installment. (or did you take it straight out from overnight proofing)

Willard
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 06:50:47 PM by 2stone »
2Stone blog: www.2stoneblog.com

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 07:00:25 PM »
....but.... you
skipped an installment. (or did you take it straight out from overnight proofing)

Willard,

You are right, I skipped that step because my camera-person (my visiting granddaughter) was asleep early this morning when I scaled the dough and put the balls in the MR-138 to proof. It's in her union contract - no filming before 8AM.  :). It's hard for me to be the executive producer, writer, on-screen talent, and film editor.

Bill/SFNM

Offline josteh

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 10:27:51 PM »
Respect! Da Michele better watch out ;D Please keep posting those videos!!

j.

Offline pizza concerto

• Lifetime Member
  • ...so much pizza, so little stomach...
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 11:01:35 PM »
Hi Bill,

Again, great video...where did you find that super large, metal peel with the holes?  It seems much better than the wood peels I use...is that a 15" peel surface?

Thanks,

Dan
"Only Irish Coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar, fat." -- Alex Levine

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 04:19:17 AM »
Hi Bill,

Again, great video...where did you find that super large, metal peel with the holes?  It seems much better than the wood peels I use...is that a 15" peel surface?

Thanks,

Dan

Dan,

http://www.gimetalusa.com/index.php?name=US&act=viewdetails&ID_art=4&ID_cat=1&ID_sub=2

Bill/SFNM

Offline vitus

• Mmmm... Pizza...
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 04:32:01 AM »
Really interesting video. Says more than a thousand words. It was fun to see how you handled the very high hydrated dough, because I do it pretty much the same way.

I have a question: Your oven obviously bakes really fast and hot (1 minute pizza!). I noticed that you measured the oven floor temperature. Do you remember how hot it was on this bake (or during an average bake)?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 08:26:25 AM »
I noticed that you measured the oven floor temperature. Do you remember how hot it was on this bake (or during an average bake)?

I usually don't measure the deck temp anymore, but did so for this video so you could see it was about 925F. Unfortunately, it wasn't very visible in the video.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Amir

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 03:33:09 PM »
Thanks a lot for the video Bill.  They say a picture worth a thousand words.  I say a video is worth a million!  :D

Anyway, I know you have an Earthstone oven and I am looking at the same.  So it is great to see how it performs in real-time.  When I was down in LA, I only saw the oven in non-operational mode.

Seeing the dough expand so fast, while it sits there without doing so in our electric oven, sure makes my mind to proceed with putting a unit in our new kitchen.

Offline Arthur

• When Brooklyn Was the World
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 07:52:17 PM »
Wow!   That was great!  Thank you Bill.  It was so good to see exactly how you make your pizzas.
It's the small things that I found so interesting like the amount of flour you used to prep the pizza; the board you used to prep the pizza and then how you transfered the pizza to the peel.    This was very helpful.  Please keep the videos coming!

Arthur.

pizzapan