Author Topic: Water purification/reverse osmosis system?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Water purification/reverse osmosis system?
« on: October 07, 2007, 04:01:45 PM »
I am thinking about getting a good water filtration or purification system.  I want something that will fit underneath the kitchen sink (plenty of room there) and have a daughter faucet.  We have been using the PUR 3 stage filters for a few years now and frankly it is just a huge pain!  We go through the filters monthly and the water takes forever to drain.  I imagine this could have some great effect on the pizza too of course.  Anyone have any suggestions for a high quality system?
Patrick

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Re: Water purification/reverse osmosis system?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 09:27:41 AM »
After doing some reading I decided to go for a cheap system for now.   No reverse osmosis, just filtering.  I went with a Culligan SY-2650 which is basically a glorified pitcher filter but with many advantages:

1) Water comes out quickly enough - fills a 32 oz bottle in a matter of seconds (maybe 15 seconds vs. 3 minutes with a pitcher)

2) 500 gallon filter vs. 30-100 gallon filter for pitcher

3) Filter monitor: there is a simple battery operated electronic device that turns on when water is flowing.  After approximately 500 gallons it beeps at you.  This is great because it takes out the guess work.   I am sure that it is only estimating but I probably relatively accurate based on the restriction of the filters (vs the pressure of your home water).

4) Filters out much more "stuff" than the pitcher filters.   I would be lying if I said I knew what many of these things are but assuming(?) they aren't things we want to be ingesting.

The system runs for about $160 but the local Sears has them on closeout for $50.  I believe this is because Culligan sold the system to another company (filters and parts still readily available).  The system was truly plug and play and I had it installed in a number of hours most of which was trying to close off a 60 year old shut off valve!!!!

I am excited to give the "new" water a try in the pizza making later today.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:37:34 AM by pcampbell »
Patrick