Author Topic: N50 vs ELux DLX 2000  (Read 7516 times)

Offline les_garten

Re: N50 vs ELux DLX 2000
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2007, 01:33:01 AM »
Les, PM me if you come across another N50, I want one.
It's a Ultra kind of. It's a RoadGlide that has every Ultra option on it and then some. The guy I bought it from spared no expense on that bike. It's got the wrap around passenger seat with rear speakers, lowers, CB intercom, King Pack, cruise, chrome everything........... it goes on and on. Yeah It's a Oldie, 99 Roadie but I got a pretty good deal 2 years ago on it for $10,500.00 I since put a Bassani 2-1 pipe on it and S&S 510 Gear drive cams, along with a Power Commader module. It puts out 90 HP with 90ftlbs torque, up 30 on both ends from the factory. It's a blast to ride.

Hi Bryan,
   I don't know why I'm still looking, but I found this one tonight.

http://denver.craigslist.org/hsh/487914708.html

I would call him and see if you could pick it up for $550-$600.  Notice it has a spiral dough hook and looks absolutely MINT. 

On another note, I have a '92 BMW R100RT that is heavily modded and am wanting to get it ready for sale and pick up an Ultra.  I missed the last SE Ultras.  I really kinda wanted one of those bad, the had the six speed tranny and 103 Engine.  I'm working on it though.  Let me know how you do on the N50.  I also found a few in FL and one in long Island, but this is the best one of the bunch.  Had I seen it, I would have pursued it.

Les
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 01:35:47 AM by les_garten »
---Les Garten--- Leave the gun, take the cannoli -- Fat Clemenza

A Pizza with radius z and thickness a has volume Pi*z*z*a

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 02:57:16 AM »
Hi Les....Congratulations on your purchase of an N50. I'd love to get one but my KA mixer keeps chugging along so until it quits on me, I'll stay with it. I'll keep my screwdriver handy as a backup. ;)

When you get your mixer would it be possible to post a video of it in action? I've read a lot about the legendary power of this machine and I think it would be great to see it in action.

Villa Roma

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 03:19:32 AM »
One more scenario, take your mixer and take my mixer and let's do an endurance test mixing concrete, who will win that test?  Can you site hundreds of references where The current KA lineup is used by Industry to Mix concrete? 

Anyhow, these things are what made me want one of these Mixers at a good price.  Another use I found along the way for this mixer is that medical Examiners use it in Pathology departments to Mix/liquefy samples.

Les

haha, why would I do that?  By your logic everyone should drive H1 Alpha's... ;-)  And I guess I should replace my perfectly good camera with a D2X... lol

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 03:22:32 AM »
Try this (doesn't look in great shape though), good luck to anyone that bids:

http://search.ebay.com/200176291000

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline les_garten

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 11:42:25 AM »
haha, why would I do that?  By your logic everyone should drive H1 Alpha's... ;-)  And I guess I should replace my perfectly good camera with a D2X... lol

- aba

Heh!  The tool has to be appropriate to the task.  An H1 is not really efficient, comfortable, or a good tool for everyday transportation.  They don't have much room inside and the Civilian models are unreliable and underpowered.  So if for transportation you are looking for well made, well appointed, reliable transportation, the H1 is a bad analogy.  By the way, it seems it is a POS as a Military Vehicle also.

On to the D2x Analogy.  This one is a little harder, but wait for the punchline my friend! 

The "average" camera owner cannot figure out how to turn on a D2X, as opposed to the N50 which a 2 year old could operate.  It is apropriate for the job of taking pictures, but not appropriate for taking snapshots.  It is durable, reliable and well appointed.  However it is heavy and costs roughly 12x what a good $500 camera would cost you after you add a Flash and a lens so that you can use. it.  Even on the Used market, it is still prohibitively expensive. 

So here'e where this anology falls short.  It is virtually unuseable for almost all "average" camera users because of complexity.  It is "WAY" over the top in terms of expense, remember, my N50 cost me the same as a DLX or Viking, et al.  Somewhere along the line the vast bulk would make it fail the basic requirements test for most who were buying a camera.

The reason I point out the analogy shortfalls of the D2X here is that my N50 met all my requirements and most everybody else here on the forum for a mixer, except for maybe one.  It is a little larger.  It cost me almost the same amount had I bought a DLX, Viking or any number of others.  It is basically a KitchenAid Model G with a Gray Paint job.  It is perfect for the task at hand, and it basically don't break.  It fails miserably in one regard for most people though.  It is a little on the ugly side to most.

So your H1 analogy falls short because it's kinda like saying everyone should buy a Hobart 80 Qt mixer.  The 80 Qt is not good for the job of mixing 3-4 pounds of dough and will not sit on the counter.  (See my original requirements for a mixer earlier in the thread)

The D2X analogy falls short because the cost is WAY over the top of even a $500 camera and most people could never figure out how to use it.  It's the Hobart 140 Qt of cameras.

One thing that was not a concern of mine that probably is of a lot of people.  The KA mixers are "snazzy' looking.  The N50 is not "snazzy", it is "Anti-Snazzy".  Feel free to borrow that term under strict license to me of course ;-)    I'll have to think of a good car analogy that may fit the scenario.  However, my wife doesn't know anything about this yet.  She doesn't bake and there will most likely be a "discussion"  about this "brute" being in her kitchen.  Occasionally, I have to exercise Veto power and this will most likely be one of those occasions.  Kinda like letting here have some space in my Garage, ehh!

For a car analogy, I'm thinkin' circa 1964 and my Dad's purchase at that time of a Volvo 122s 4 Door sedan.  I'll get back to you on that one...

If you think back to the world at that time, and that was how I was raised, it will probably tell you a lot about me.  But I digress, back to the questions at hand!

And now to the Punchline....

When I first read this post, I had a smile you would have had to be here to appreciate.  Especially considering the Cracked central incisor that I sport.  I was grinning ear to ear!!  You see aba I have had a lot of cameras in my 50 years.  Discounting the Film Cameras, and only considering the digital cameras, we'll go over them here.

1) Some older Sony Digital, 2.1 MP, when that was the biggest you could get, and a Glass Zeiss Lens.  1999 $1000
2) Fuji S2 Pro 6 Mp 2002 $1800 street price, Could Use all the Lenses/Flashes from My Nikon F4
3) Fuji S3 Pro 6 MP 2005  $2000 street Price Still using all my Older lenses
4) Nikon CoolPix 8800 Snapshotter for the wife to use $1000  2005

and Taaaa!!!   Daaaaa!!!!
5) Nikon D2X $4995 for the Body, Pony'd up for a Macro Lens, some other Lenses, a Macro Flash, and a Sb-800 Flash.2005, Large Microdrives, Arca swiss B1 Monoball sitting on a Gitzo 2227 Carbon Fiber Tripod.

So you can see why I had a little chuckle when I first read the post and the D2X analogy.  However, I would not recommend the D2X to anyone I know.  I don't know any particularly adept amateur photographers.   Additionally it doesn't meet almost anybodies requirements for a personal camera.

Anyhow, the reason I opted for the N50 was the cost was an extra $125 or so over the KA 6 Qt, almost the same price as a Viking or DLX and was in my opinion the hands down winner for what I wanted to do with it, which is to mix up Bread Dough and Pizza Dough.  It had to be a last purchase Mixer.  I'm not into collecting Mixers yet.

Of course having a good mixer does not make a great Pizza, as pointed out by all the members out there in the screw driver mixing cult(I have heard that there is a break out cult who only use Snap-On screwdrivers, so there is debate everywhere).  A good Camera does not make a great Photographer either.  That brings me to another observance, it's a hobby, and like all hobbies, there is passion involved.  There are different opinions and how one chooses to pursue the hobby is different for everyone.

Now here's a little snap of My Dachshund that I'll submit you to for mentioning a D2X on a Mixer Forum!!

It was taken with the 2.1 MP Sony

http://www.lesgarten.com/pix/misc/max.jpg

Les

Offline les_garten

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 11:54:49 AM »
Try this (doesn't look in great shape though), good luck to anyone that bids:

http://search.ebay.com/200176291000

- aba

I didn't consider that one because of the condition.  It may work prefectly though.  They are pretty easy to rebuild.  If you wanted a great N50 you would look at the one I posted in a previous Post on this thread.  It looks to be MINT.  Hd I seen that one first, I would have pursued it.  It even has a Spiral Hook and a C hook, grain grinder, et al. 

Would you buy a Used KA 600?

Would you buy a Used KA 600 that had spent most of it's time mixing Pizza Dough?

I have no qualms about buying a Mint N50 that the Concrete industry uses to Mix Concrete.  I don't think I would buy a used N50 Concrete Mixer though!!

That brings me to another observance.  I am a member of the KitchenAid forum.  When the KA's "Blow Up and die"  from Mixing "Bread Dough"  the support team basically says it was not designed for that and you need to get a commercial mixer.  Read that forum and see where they have problems.  Most of their issues are from mixing bread dough that the documentation says they should be able to handle.

If I was entertaining Marie Antoinette, and cooking up a lot of CupCakes for her, I think KA's would be great!  They look good while doing it too!!  They're real cute, I gotta say.

Les

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 12:20:18 PM »
A few random thoughts.
Let us know how that handles 4 lbs of flour.  There is a point regardless of the motor power where the bowl just isn't big enough.   The pro 600 has a larger bowl than the N50 right?

I am curious how the N50 truly compares to the current KA model "Commercial 5" as well as with Pro 5 Plus or Pro 600.

The "Commercial 5" is UL/NSF rated, not sure if there is any other real difference between the Pro 5 Plus and Pro 600.  Also so confused about how KA advertises "ALL METAL gears" etc where you always hear about the plastic meltdown.

Anyway enjoy it.
Patrick

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2007, 12:35:56 PM »
Haha, nice!  That dog is awesome.  D2X was bad because 50% of the time reading your post I wasn't sure if you were comparing to N50 the mixer or N50 the camera, lol.  :-)

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline les_garten

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2007, 04:47:35 PM »
Haha, nice!  That dog is awesome.  D2X was bad because 50% of the time reading your post I wasn't sure if you were comparing to N50 the mixer or N50 the camera, lol.  :-)

- aba

Hi Aba,
   I was basically addressing the Hummer H1, D2X, Hobart N50, KA 5/6, analogies you had made.  Sorry about the confusion.

Les

Offline les_garten

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2007, 05:04:36 PM »
A few random thoughts.
Let us know how that handles 4 lbs of flour.  There is a point regardless of the motor power where the bowl just isn't big enough.   The pro 600 has a larger bowl than the N50 right?

I am curious how the N50 truly compares to the current KA model "Commercial 5" as well as with Pro 5 Plus or Pro 600.

The "Commercial 5" is UL/NSF rated, not sure if there is any other real difference between the Pro 5 Plus and Pro 600.  Also so confused about how KA advertises "ALL METAL gears" etc where you always hear about the plastic meltdown.

Anyway enjoy it.

Hi PCampbell,
    I probably could have been clearer on how I phrased that requirement.  I meant 3-4 pounds of dough, not flour. If you look back on the first page, I mentioned dough, not flour. That falls within it's Capacity range.  They are not referring to Hi Gluten Pizza dough though.  But that's what I would like to find out.  The Cook's Illustrated review said that all the Mixers except the N50 wheezed when working with Bread type doughs.  A number of them shut down immediately, all the rest seemed strained with the exception of the N50.  The other issue with all the KA's is how they change speed.  They change motor speed as opposed to the fixed speed and Gear reductions of a commercial quality mixer.

I'll post back here with a review of a "BIG"  Dough load if anyone is really interested.  The reviews on how it processes Dough are out there on the kitchenaid forum as well as this one, and of course Cook's Illustrated.  I may get a tripod mount for my Nikon 8800, it will shoot some video.

Les

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2007, 06:41:39 PM »
Ah OK I misread.  I am sure you won't have any problems.
Patrick

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2007, 06:47:25 PM »
You guys/gals that want to do large batches should check out the bosch universal with the large stainless bowl.  I think they say it will do up to 12lbs of bread dough.  Handles the 5lbs I do at a time with ease,  in the smaller plastic bowl that comes stock no less.  I love the thing and it does a great job mixing/kneading.  my 2Cents  -marc

pizzapan