Author Topic: Pizza screen brand  (Read 3313 times)

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Pizza screen brand
« on: October 07, 2007, 01:29:57 AM »
I have an Adcraft pizza screen that is pretty warped.  It is 18" which is too large, as I am now settling on 16" pies.  Can anyone recommend a brand that might hold up a little bit better?
Patrick

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Re: Pizza screen brand
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 01:44:42 AM »
You know what I have been doing some reading and thinking about the Quik-Disks from pizzatools... :pizza:
Patrick

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 08:47:50 PM »
Patrick,

In my opinion, one of the better sources of pizza screens is pizzatools.com (http://www.pizzatools.com/productdisplay.aspx?catid=57&c=Screens). To the best of my knowledge, the pizzatools screens are made in the U.S., or at least they were when I researched pizza screens from different manufacturers a few years ago. Just about all of the pizza screens produced at that time came from India. I have a pizzatools screen and it is very solidly made. It is the only screen I have that is assembled using rivets. If you look at about 5 o'clock on the photo of the screen shown at the abovereferenced web page, I think you can see the rivets (three of them)

I love the pizzatools PSTK products, and especially the pans. I have not had as good results using the perforated disks, although some members have. I hope in due course to do more experimenting with the PSTK disks, especially the new Lloyds hearth style disks, to see if I can get better performance out of them (better oven spring and better bottom crust coloration). One of our members has been testing the pizzatools hearth style disks in his impingement conveyor oven in his pizza business in China and he tells me that he has been getting good results--apparently better than what he was getting with screens. I believe he is able to get better top and bottom heat with his conveyor oven than I can get in my home oven.

Peter

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 12:18:29 AM »
I have an Adcraft pizza screen that is pretty warped.  It is 18" which is too large, as I am now settling on 16" pies.  Can anyone recommend a brand that might hold up a little bit better?
Well I have no idea what brand my screens are but they are still in perfect shape. I use them pretty hard and they still lay perfectly flat. I got mine at Fantes for a few bucks several years ago. I never wash them and when not in use they are left laying flat, not standing upright.  ??? And there's no rivets in them.  ;) IMO pizza tools is way overpriced for their products.  :o JMO
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 12:21:05 AM by Bryan S »
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 01:13:02 PM »
Thanks for the info.

What do you think the difference is between between the Hearth disk and the regular quik-disks.  Appears to be fewer larger holes?
Patrick

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 01:54:38 PM »
As I have noted many times before, the pizzatools products are not inexpensive. However, pizzatools manufactures all of its products in its own U.S. facilities (I confirmed this this morning from a telephone call to the company). So, pizzatools wonít be able to compete with labor rates that exist in places like India and China. Also, their disk products, and particularly the Quik-Disk products (http://www.pizzatools.com/productdisplay.aspx?catid=56&c=Quik-Disks), donít really have exact or nearly comparable counterparts. For example, American Metalcraft sells SuperPerf-Hardcoat (SPHC) disks (http://www.amnow.com/pizzatrays/perforatedDisks.html) but they are not the same as the corresponding Quik-Disks sold by pizzatools (for one, the hole counts are different). pizzatoolís prices for the Quik-Disk products are nominally less than the AMís disks of the same size, but most people will be able to better the prices noted at the AM website by going to one of the online sellers of AM products. I donít own any AM Hardcote disks, so I canít compare them with the counterpart pizzatools Quik-Disks.

Chicago Metallic makes some anodized products, but I was not able to find any CM anodized disks online, only their deep-dish products with the Bakelon anodized finish. No doubt, there are many sources of nonstick coated disks, but they are not of the dark, anodized type as are sold by pizzatools and AM. The pizzatools anodized coatings donít chip or flake or scratch and they donít emit potentially noxious gases at high temperatures. The pizzatools Quik-Disks (and the other pizzatools dark anodized products) should last for years in a typical home setting.

With limited competition, pizzatools is in the position of being able to charge top dollar for their products. You would have to be in the pizza business with large volume requirements to get discounts on their quoted prices. As individuals, we are not going to get anywhere near those volumes. I'm grateful that pizzatools will even sell to us as individuals.

The Hearth-style disks sold by Lloyd Industries are different from the Quik-Disks in that the number of holes and their sizes are different (although all of the holes in the Hearth-style disks are the same size) and the pattern of holes is non-symmetrical. The Hearth-style disks were specifically designed for use in conveyor ovens to make NY style pizzas that have finished crust characteristics that replicate those of NY style pizzas baked in deck ovens. No doubt, the new disks can be used for other pizza styles if the correct finger settings are used.

Peter

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 02:15:02 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I decided to give it a shot and get one PSTK disk and one screen from them.    We'll see how it goes.  BTW I used E4CJRFJ for a 5% discount. 
Patrick

Offline SemperFi

• Getting there, slowly but surely
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 02:14:31 PM »
Just bought two 18" pizza screens from a local Restaurant supply store for $4.90 a piece.  Much better than paying for Amazons outrageous shipping charges, or other distributor.  I do have a question, I have played with hydration rates, my last one was 65%..bakers formula follows:

Bread Flour 100%
H2O            65%
ADY           .75%
Salt              3%
Oil                1%
Honey           2%
VWG             4%
Total         175.75%

I was having problems with my shell sticking to my peel, no matter how quickly I worked, and I dumped my last creation on my tiles and watched it bubble away.  Do I need to lower my hydration rate now that I am using a screen to prevent sticking?  I was considering changing the above recipe to a hydration level of 60% and dropping the VWG by 1% to 3%.  I am also planning on transferring the pie midway to the stone to finish off the crust.  Any thought would be appreciated!  Adam
Adam

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 06:10:35 PM »
I have used 58 - 65% hydration doughs on my screens with no sticking issues, except for the first time I used them, but it was minimal. Give them a good spray of PAM and cook the screens at 325 for a hr and turn off the oven and let them cool inside. Give them a spray again before putting the dough on them for the first time and you should be fine. I use nothing on mine anymore. Just remember to not push down on the dough while it's on the screen and all will be swell.  ;) I think that was most of my problem on the trial run with the screens.  :-[ HTH
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

pizzapan