Author Topic: N50 vs ELux DLX 2000  (Read 8403 times)

Offline les_garten

Re: N50 vs ELux DLX 2000
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 11:54:49 AM »
Try this (doesn't look in great shape though), good luck to anyone that bids:

http://search.ebay.com/200176291000

- aba

I didn't consider that one because of the condition.  It may work prefectly though.  They are pretty easy to rebuild.  If you wanted a great N50 you would look at the one I posted in a previous Post on this thread.  It looks to be MINT.  Hd I seen that one first, I would have pursued it.  It even has a Spiral Hook and a C hook, grain grinder, et al. 

Would you buy a Used KA 600?

Would you buy a Used KA 600 that had spent most of it's time mixing Pizza Dough?

I have no qualms about buying a Mint N50 that the Concrete industry uses to Mix Concrete.  I don't think I would buy a used N50 Concrete Mixer though!!

That brings me to another observance.  I am a member of the KitchenAid forum.  When the KA's "Blow Up and die"  from Mixing "Bread Dough"  the support team basically says it was not designed for that and you need to get a commercial mixer.  Read that forum and see where they have problems.  Most of their issues are from mixing bread dough that the documentation says they should be able to handle.

If I was entertaining Marie Antoinette, and cooking up a lot of CupCakes for her, I think KA's would be great!  They look good while doing it too!!  They're real cute, I gotta say.

Les
---Les Garten--- Leave the gun, take the cannoli -- Fat Clemenza

A Pizza with radius z and thickness a has volume Pi*z*z*a

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 12:20:18 PM »
A few random thoughts.
Let us know how that handles 4 lbs of flour.  There is a point regardless of the motor power where the bowl just isn't big enough.   The pro 600 has a larger bowl than the N50 right?

I am curious how the N50 truly compares to the current KA model "Commercial 5" as well as with Pro 5 Plus or Pro 600.

The "Commercial 5" is UL/NSF rated, not sure if there is any other real difference between the Pro 5 Plus and Pro 600.  Also so confused about how KA advertises "ALL METAL gears" etc where you always hear about the plastic meltdown.

Anyway enjoy it.
Patrick

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2007, 12:35:56 PM »
Haha, nice!  That dog is awesome.  D2X was bad because 50% of the time reading your post I wasn't sure if you were comparing to N50 the mixer or N50 the camera, lol.  :-)

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline les_garten

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2007, 04:47:35 PM »
Haha, nice!  That dog is awesome.  D2X was bad because 50% of the time reading your post I wasn't sure if you were comparing to N50 the mixer or N50 the camera, lol.  :-)

- aba

Hi Aba,
   I was basically addressing the Hummer H1, D2X, Hobart N50, KA 5/6, analogies you had made.  Sorry about the confusion.

Les

Offline les_garten

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2007, 05:04:36 PM »
A few random thoughts.
Let us know how that handles 4 lbs of flour.  There is a point regardless of the motor power where the bowl just isn't big enough.   The pro 600 has a larger bowl than the N50 right?

I am curious how the N50 truly compares to the current KA model "Commercial 5" as well as with Pro 5 Plus or Pro 600.

The "Commercial 5" is UL/NSF rated, not sure if there is any other real difference between the Pro 5 Plus and Pro 600.  Also so confused about how KA advertises "ALL METAL gears" etc where you always hear about the plastic meltdown.

Anyway enjoy it.

Hi PCampbell,
    I probably could have been clearer on how I phrased that requirement.  I meant 3-4 pounds of dough, not flour. If you look back on the first page, I mentioned dough, not flour. That falls within it's Capacity range.  They are not referring to Hi Gluten Pizza dough though.  But that's what I would like to find out.  The Cook's Illustrated review said that all the Mixers except the N50 wheezed when working with Bread type doughs.  A number of them shut down immediately, all the rest seemed strained with the exception of the N50.  The other issue with all the KA's is how they change speed.  They change motor speed as opposed to the fixed speed and Gear reductions of a commercial quality mixer.

I'll post back here with a review of a "BIG"  Dough load if anyone is really interested.  The reviews on how it processes Dough are out there on the kitchenaid forum as well as this one, and of course Cook's Illustrated.  I may get a tripod mount for my Nikon 8800, it will shoot some video.

Les

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2007, 06:41:39 PM »
Ah OK I misread.  I am sure you won't have any problems.
Patrick

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2007, 06:47:25 PM »
You guys/gals that want to do large batches should check out the bosch universal with the large stainless bowl.  I think they say it will do up to 12lbs of bread dough.  Handles the 5lbs I do at a time with ease,  in the smaller plastic bowl that comes stock no less.  I love the thing and it does a great job mixing/kneading.  my 2Cents  -marc