Author Topic: Pizza in a pinch  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Garlic head

• I need Garlic to survive
    • WKevin.com
Pizza in a pinch
« on: November 23, 2007, 02:28:14 PM »
Today, because I didn't have any dough on hand, I decided to "hack" together a really quick "emergency" dough just to see what happens. I've made emergency dough before, but not one that I wanted to use within 6 hours.
Quite simply, here it is (for 2-10" thin crusts)

280G KASL
168G warm water
Just slightly less than 1/2 TSP IDY (.37 TSP to be exact)
1.5 TSP Diamond Crystal kosher salt

No oil was used.

I whisk the yeast into a bowl of sifted flour and add that to the water and salt in the mixer bowl. I used the paddle to incorporate, then switched to the C hook for only a minute or so. Then I just hand kneaded to form a ball, then split it in two, and lightly oiled them and put them in a couple of lightly oiled glass bowls. I left them on my counter, covered with plastic wrap for 5 hours and baked them like I normally do @550 on my tiles. (6-7 minutes)
I'm really sorry I didn't take any pictures, but I will tell you I was very happy with the color, texture and taste of this dough. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Kevin

Offline humpty99

Re: Pizza in a pinch
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 11:56:48 AM »
I do this sort of thing all the time.  My recipe is a little different, and I usually do a bulk rise, punch down, ball up, rise again method but the majority of the time I'm extremely happy with my results.  The dough doesn't have near as much flavor as a longer ferment produces, but I can usually achieve a great color and texture for such a short period of time.

pizzapan