Author Topic: JT's WFO pies  (Read 39326 times)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
Re: JT's WFO pies
« Reply #400 on: August 29, 2013, 09:57:31 AM »
Just happened upon this thread and I don't want to forget it!

Already copied/pasted the recipes for PT and Hybrid doughs!

Chau the master! ;D

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #401 on: August 29, 2013, 11:48:11 AM »
Chau,

I was wondering if you still have the video that you posted on Reply 392?  I received an error message that the video does not exist.  I watched your other video about opening your NY style dough.  How long do you let it rest out of the fridge before stretching?  I have not mastered stretching yet.  I find that I have to do it very carefully or risk making a hole in the skin  :'(. And I don't like re-balling the dough. Is it something I'm doing wrong in the dough prep process?  Currently, I refrigerate the dough for 24 hours and then let it sit on my granite counter for about 2 hours pre-bake on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper.  I periodically stretch it by gently pushing outward with floured fingers and letting it rest for 10 or 15 minutes in between stretches.  Then before I put it on the peel, I flour the backs of my hands, lay the dough on top of my hands and arms and gently stretch with my thumbs.  Perhaps I'm not really not passing the windowpane test?  Any advice is most appreciated.  I made my NY dough yesterday and will bake tomorrow.  So, it will be about a 52 hour ferment this time...

Thanks,
Mary Ann

MarryAnn,  it was not an important or informative video so I deleted it.  It just showed a NY pizza being baked in a wfo.  Pretty uneventful.  I showed it to show the pile of coals and small fire if any.  The same can be seen in my other videos.   I will try to answer your questions but opening technique is really dictated by style and the specific dough itself.   Without feeling your dough or knowing how it's made, it's hard to say specifically how you should handle it.  But I can give you some general rules to apply, so that might help.

I watched your other video about opening your NY style dough.  How long do you let it rest out of the fridge before stretching? 

typically 2-4 hours depending on the amount of yeast in the dough, how risen it is prior to coming out, how fast it is rising based room temps or outside temps.   So it depends...but typically I am looking for the dough balls to double or so.  This isn't always the case, but is a good general rule to go by. 

I have not mastered stretching yet.  I find that I have to do it very carefully or risk making a hole in the skin  . And I don't like re-balling the dough. Is it something I'm doing wrong in the dough prep process? 

It just takes practice.  Watch a bunch of youtube videos and practice.  You will get better over time and if you are paying attention to what you are doing, you will learn faster.  If you are asking questions like you are and getting good advice, you will learn even faster. 

Why do you not like to reball dough?  Is it b/c some member told you that you shouldn't be doing it?  I hope not.  Reballing builds strength into the dough.  You should only do it if the dough requires it so it is more a necessity to do rather than a fondness for doing it.   :-D  Sorry Im feeling a bit punch this morning.  Scott123, use to not believe in reballing as it was not a traditional practice but I believe he now employs the technique. 

If you are making holes in your dough while stretching, it could be your stretching technique, but more than likely it is your dough.  If there is sufficient gluten strength in the dough, it is less likely to develop uneveness when opening.   Ideally, you should be able to open the dough fully without any weak spots like here...
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,26839.msg274047.html#msg274047

Weak spots can be from not developing the gluten enough or from balling too late or reballing.   Ideally, you want to develop the gluten early on and ball it once and be done with it. 

I hope that helps somewhat.

Chau

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #402 on: August 29, 2013, 11:48:55 AM »
Just happened upon this thread and I don't want to forget it!

Already copied/pasted the recipes for PT and Hybrid doughs!

Chau the master! ;D

John K

thank you, but I am just on the journey like the rest of us.  Still always learning and trying to improve though. 

Chau

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #403 on: August 30, 2013, 09:47:24 AM »
Chau,

Thank you for the advice.  i don't like to re-ball because if I tear the dough in the stretching process, I re-ball it and then I have to wait for the dough to relax before I attempt to stretch it again to get it ready for the peel.  By this time I'm starving for pizza  :drool: and want to eat.  I don't want to wait any longer  :-D

Mary Ann
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:15:10 AM by mbrulato »
Mary Ann

Offline gotdough

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #404 on: December 08, 2013, 08:36:25 PM »
Awesome dough recipe….finally getting the shaping etc right still working on not making it so thin in the middle..best recipe on here.

Also quick question on the dough generator in on part of it it says 60%hg 40% OO then right after it says 60%00 40%HG…I've tried both both are good...

Thanks JT awesome pizza

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #405 on: December 09, 2013, 05:41:05 AM »
Nice job Gotdough.  Both ratios work just fine.  Technique is more important than getting the numbers just right...generally speaking of course.

Offline gotdough

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #406 on: February 07, 2014, 11:16:05 PM »
So…..Last weekend i bought a nice 6 pack of beer that tasted terribly to me….so instead of tossing it out i made pizza with it…Same recipe just half water half beer..which was a dark London porter bout 7.5%. The pizza was not to dark, next time i might do more beer less water. Regardless great recipe as usual makes great pizza. This one was Pepperoni, green peppers, and pepperdews.  Also made a small little calzone with 100g ball that was left over...

Offline Teddy Ballgame

« Reply #407 on: February 15, 2014, 09:47:35 AM »
This recipe is in the fridge for a 2 day cold rise. I will post pics of the final pie tomorrow night.

Flour (100%):238.53 g  |  8.41 oz | 0.53 lbs (King Arthur Bread Flour - organic)
Water (60%):143.12 g  |  5.05 oz | 0.32 lbs
ADY (.5%):1.19 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.32 tsp | 0.11 tbsp
Salt (2.5%):5.96 g | 0.21 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.24 tsp | 0.41 tbsp
Sugar (.5%):1.19 g | 0.04 oz | 0 lbs | 0.3 tsp | 0.1 tbsp
Total (163.5%):390 g | 13.76 oz | 0.86 lbs |