Author Topic: Latest Dough Recipe, By Request :)  (Read 63883 times)

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
Latest Dough Recipe, By Request :)
« on: November 24, 2007, 09:10:30 PM »
Hey Guys  :D

A couple people have been asking me for my latest "Recipe" for
NY Pie dough, so, here goes.

For Poolish:

1 1/2 C Bread Flour
1 1/3 C Room temp water
1 tsp IDY

Mix flour and yeast together in bowl, add water, mix well, cover with plastic and let ferment at
room temp for 4 to 5 Hrs.

For dough:
All the poolish.
1 1/2 C to 1 3/4 C bread flour.
1 Tbsp Barley malt syrup or Honey.
1 tsp IDY.
1 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt or 1 tsp table salt.

Method:

Put poolish in mixer bowl.
Add barley malt syrup or honey.
Add IDY.
Mix till blended well.

Add 1 1/2 C flour and Salt and mix well at low speed.
Gradually add flour a little at a time with mixer running at speed 2 or so.
What you are looking for is, for your dough to clear the sides of the
bowl, but not the bottom. When this happens, no more flour.

Knead at medium speed for about 5 minutes. Dough should freely drop off
dough hook. (almost run)

This is a very loose (high hydration) dough. Bill, SNFM has posted a video on
YouTube on dough handling, my dough appears almost identical to his.
You can find a link to it under "Neapolitan" section.

Put dough into an oiled bowl, cover with plastic and let rise 1 1/2 Hrs.
at room temp.

Turn dough out onto lightly oiled surface, divide into 2 balls.

Transfer balls to lightly floured surface, dust lightly with flour,
cover with plastic and let rise 1 1/2 Hrs.

Make skins from balls. This dough makes 2  13 - 14 inch pies.

Do not use a rolling pin when forming your skins it will degas the dough
far too much. I use a slap and then stretch over the backs of my hands.

I bake pies made with this dough in an electric oven at 550 on a stone
and it gives me fantastic oven spring, with a slightly crispy outside and
a soft and chewy inside.

Please bear in mind that the final amount of flour in this dough is approximate
and that, for me it varies with the humidity, season, temp and just about
whatever variable you can think of.

Once you get it right once based on look and feel you will not be too concerned with
the exact amount of flour, but will readily be able to duplicate it every time just
by varying that amount. Remember start wet, and add flour slowly. You can
always add more if needed, but can't remove any. Adding more water at that
point can almost always be disastrous.

One more thing, for nice browning I always spray the edges of the crust on
my pies with EVOO right before they hit the stone. I don't like adding the oil
to the dough as it changes the texture of the crust to, too much of a bready texture
for my taste.

If you want to see a couple pies made with this method, see my last few
posts under this section.

If you give this a try, please let me know what the results were.  ???

Mangia Bene,  :chef:
Artsey, Feeley,  >:D
Jerry

Offline Bryan S

Re: Latest Dough Recipe, By Request :)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 12:14:22 AM »
Jerry, Thanks for posting this I want to try it out. One question for you. Have you ever tried a overnighter on the poolish?  Say mix it up before going to bed and have at in in the AM for lunch, Just curious, Thanks.
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 12:29:28 AM »
Bryan,

Learned through experience, the most you can realy "Push" this "Poolish" to is about 5 hrs, otherwise the yeast runs out of stuff to eat at it will "Drop" (or Die) on ya  >:(

If done as stated it produces a very slightly "Sour" taste to your Dough  ;D ;D

Jerry

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 12:37:23 AM »
Bryan,

Learned through experience, the most you can realy "Push" this "Poolish" to is about 5 hrs, otherwise the yeast runs out of stuff to eat at it will "Drop" (or Die) on ya  >:(

If done as stated it produces a very slightly "Sour" taste to your Dough  ;D ;D

Jerry

Ok Jerry, Thanks much. Sounds mighty good, can't wait to try my first poolish.  :pizza:
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Bistro

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 01:13:51 PM »
Fantastic Jerry I bugged you enough to post. I'm so greatful. I will give it a try and let you know what I get. I'm going to mix up the poolish in a few mins. After seeing your pictures I hope I can get close.
Mystie

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 09:40:42 PM »
Huys,

Thanks  ;) to all who let me know how my "method" works out for them  ;D ;D

Jerry

Offline johnbbb

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 01:27:23 PM »
great pizza is a strugle between taste and texture  i only use 0.2% idy the taste is greate the texture is poor it could be my oven  but i can not get my self to add more yeast to the dough the yeast eats up all the natural suger render a dough with flavorless taste , you are using almost 1.5% with your polish and 1.5% with your dough so over all yeast is 1.5% of your total formula  ,you are not fermenting your finished dough for a long time but you are fermenting your polish for a long time considering the amount of yeast at1.5% , what i realy like to know are you getting a good bread taste out of  your pizza using this formula cause it seems you are using too much yeast  thanks

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 11:36:36 PM »
johnbbb,

My crust tastes absolutely fantastic, Bready and suculent  ;D ;D ;D

Remember, I don't do "#'s"  ;)

Too Much Yeast  ???  Not if you make it "My" way  ;D

Mangia Bene  :chef:

Jerry

Offline mo-jord

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2007, 09:05:41 AM »
I can't wait to try this!!!

;D

Offline honey

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2007, 06:09:19 AM »
Jerry, I have to add my thanks. I've been making a-pizza-a-week for about 10 years. A few times I tried assorted recipes for dough and sort of settled on an OK one. Thought I couldn't really get a good one here because of the water so didn't bother any more. As blah as my pizza was, anything was better than any other pizza I've ever tried in Southern California. They have to hold the record for the absolute WORST pizza anywhere. When I was still in my try-every-recipe stage I was told it was because there was something in the water here that made it different.

I have no idea how or why I found this board Friday and read your post. I read very little in any of the forums but I did go looking for a pic of one of your pies and was impressed so I tried my variation of your recipe yesterday.

It was FANTASTIC. The absolute best I've ever made - or had is what I'm thinking now, even better than my old favorite back east.

I couldn't follow your recipe exactly as I just have an old bread machine I use on dough making settings but it didn't matter. I also didn't raise it quite as much as you and that didn't matter either. I ended up with a crispy brown outside, soft and chewy inside, raised beautifully in the regular oven set to 550, no stone (my oven can brown pizza fine at that temp without a stone and I use a pizza pan with lots of little holes in it).

It was absolutely fabulous and looked beautiful! I thought of taking pictures to show you but the pizza looked too good to waste time hunting up the camera.  ;D

Offline Bistro

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 06:41:30 PM »
Hey Jerry
Sounds like your recipe is a hit so far. I'm going to have to get it together and try again with the right ingredients. LOL

Mystie

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 12:14:01 PM »
Hi Jerry,

I made your recipe this week and I was very happy with the results. The crust was crisp yet tender, and the flavor was really very good. This is a slightly wetter dough than my normal pizza dough. Very good texture, with lots of irregular holes on the edges of the crust. 

This morning I mixed up another batch, but this time I substituted 1/4 cup of sourdough starter (Camadoldi from Italy) for 1/2 of the yeast in the poolish. I'm hoping it gives the crust even more character.  I will post the results later and maybe even a picture if it comes out alright. 

Thanks much for the recipe.  I really enjoy experimenting with pizza crusts. It's amazing the differences that small variations in ingredients and techniques can make. 

TinRoofRusted

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 12:53:54 PM »
Is it just me or does this thread have an unusual number of first or low time posters raving about the recipe?   :D

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 04:16:42 PM »
aba,
It makes sense...  the newbies probably don't have scales, aren't into baker's percents (yet) and might even be put off by the mathematics of making pizza dough, SO they find comfort in a recipe like JerryMac's!

I also recently tried this recipe (as noted in another thread about DelGrosso sauces) and will say that it turned out very well!  I have some photos to post.

I did make one error... I was planning on two pizzas and, after I had the dough balled up, noticed that the size pizzas this recipe makes are too large for my peel!  Next time, I will make 3 dough balls instead of two.  This error, of course, meant that the crust was a little too thick.  I actually was able to make the skins somewhat larger than the peel by putting them on parchment paper, so they ended up about 11" across instead of the 12-13" recommended.

The crust was VERY GOOD!!  It was light, flavorful and crispy, which is, IMHO, impressive for same-day dough.  To get the look and feel described by Jerry, I had to add the entire amount of flour, plus a couple of tablespoons.  The dough was very wet, but not a problem since I am used to making very-high hydration focaccia.

One pizza was topped with DelGrosso NY syle sauce (lightly sauced... about 1/3 of the jar), a 50-25-25 cheese mix of low moisture part skim Precious mozz, imported Fontina and smoked Provolone, respectively, and pepperoni, black olives and chopped onion.  The second was topped with the same amount of DelGrosso Supreme sauce, the same cheese mix and thinly sliced fresh tomatoes with a sprinkling of dried basil and some coarsely chopped proscuitto. 

They were baked for 8 minutes at 550o F on stones preheated for over an hour.

DH declared them the best pizzas I have made so far!  I asked him if he liked them better than the Brooklyn Brothers pizza we had in Everett, WA last month... and got a resounding "YES!"  So, as I said in the other thread, this means that, one more time, I have just messed up my chances for being taken out to dinner!   ;)   ::)   :chef:   :-D 

My next iteration will be using my own sourdough starter in place of the yeast in the poolish.  Should be interesting!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 12:21:16 AM »
SD Girl,

"the newbies probably don't have scales, aren't into baker's percents (yet) and might even be put off by the mathematics of making pizza dough, SO they find comfort in a recipe like JerryMac's!"

"Yet, Mathematics, Comfort"  ??? ??? ???

Or they will never get scales and be forever doomed to the "Scaleless Hell of Artrsey Feely" as I am  >:D >:( >:D >:(

Or could it be that the "Newbies" are on the road to "True" dough "Nirvana" as I Am  ??? ;D ;D ;D ;D

"I had to add the entire amount of flour, plus a couple of tablespoons"  :-D :-D

Remember what I said, "Once you get the FEEL of this dough, it will serve you for a Lifetime"  ;D ;D

This "Formula" ( >:) really was meant to make 2 14"/15" Pies in "My Oven" on "My Stone" so you can divide it up to fit your "Oven / Stone"  :D :D :D 

Thank you for the compliments on the Crust  :-[ :-[ I am SO glad it came out good for You  :-[ :-[

Please let me know how it turns out with your starter  :o :o :o

Always remember, the best "Tools" I have, in my Kitchen are, My Eyes, My Fingers and, My Tongue  ;D ;D

Thanks Kid  :-[ :-[

Jerry

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 12:48:28 AM »
abatardi,

OK lets see, Oh yea,  >:D >:D there are a lot of "first or low time posters raving about this recipe"   >:D >:D

So, What does this tell us  ??? ??? ???

"first or low time posters" are ignorant and will buy into anything  ??? ??? ???

Or Perhaps, has "Someone" come up with "Something" for "first or low time posters" to try that will give them a "Really Good Pizza Crust" to Try  ??? ??? ???

You Tell Me  ??? ???

Or Could It Be That "Someone" has a "Superiority Complex"  ??? ??? ??? ???

You Tell Me  "abatardi"

Jerry

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 01:10:02 AM »
abatardi,

From "sourdough girl"

"DH declared them the best pizzas I have made so far!  I asked him if he liked them better than the Brooklyn Brothers pizza we had in Everett, WA last month... and got a resounding "YES!"

"first or low time poster",  ??? Don't think so  :o :o :o

Jerry

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 03:10:55 AM »
JerryMac,
In posting that I had to up the flour amount... I probably SHOULD have made it clear for the "newbies" who want to try your recipe that, when you go by feel you sometimes have to add MORE flour... so DON'T be afraid to if you think you should!!  ;D  That's what this kind of recipe is all about... "artsey-feely" as you put it!  Getting to "know" the dough!   :chef:

The only reason that I use a scale (and I already had a postal scale as a seller on eBay) is that I was trying to replicate a recipe from my childhood... so, I needed to use more precise measurements and take notes so that I would be able to make changes that made sense.  If I am just "making pizza", I like to go by feel more often than not.... cause I like to play with my food!  Always got in trouble for that when I was a kid (and got my bratty little brother in trouble for making Mt Fuji out of his mashed potatoes and gravy when father wasn't looking !!  >:D ) so I'm making up for it now!   :-D   :-D

As for aba?  <shrug>  not sure WHAT he meant by his post!   :-\  Maybe he'll tell us.....   ???

I'll try to get to the pics tomorrow....

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 09:23:04 AM »
Jerry,

Although I am an advocate of using a scale, as between using your "touchy feely" methods and not making pizzas at all, I would certainly advocate that people use your methods--at least until they find a method that works better for them. Until then, they should enjoy pizzas like everyone else. However, recently, I discovered that there are subtle aspects to using the "by feel" method. For example, as part of my many experiments over the past few months making the crispy/cracker and thin Chicago style pizzas, I used hydrations of 36% (DKM cracker style), 52% (Home Run Inn clone), 48.7% and 52% (Round Table clones), 53% (Monical's clones), and 57% (DeLorenzo clones). In all cases, the flour and water were weighed out using a scale (I used volume measurements for all of the other ingredients). The finished crust characteristics of all the styles, including crust thicknesses in several cases, were quite different from each other.

If I were to ask myself whether it is possible to make all of the above different styles by "feel", the answer would be yes. But I would have to make large numbers of each style in order to determine what that "feel" is in each case. Moreover, I have discovered that the feel will be different for doughs made by different machines (e.g., mixer versus food processor), and also by hand, as I learned recently with DKM's dough formulation. Accomplishing all of these feats would be fine for me personally, but I don't think that I could communicate the procedures to others so that they would have a reasonable chance at success in replicating what I did. The only way I know how to do that is provide good instructions and lay out the weights of flour and water (and specify the rest of the ingredients by volume) and hope that others will buy and use a scale to weigh out the flour and water.

The other thing that I noticed is that because I make so many different types and styles of pizzas, it is easy for me to forget the "feel" for any one style. Also, I have discovered that two different doughs with the same hydration can feel differently in my hands because of the presence of other ingredients, like large amounts of oil. Fortunately, I have not had any problems with these kind of issues since I keep good notes of all of the pizzas I make and I print out the formulations I use (and post the best ones on the forum). That way, I can go back to a particular formulation that I may not have used for months or even years and be able to recreate it with good results without having to rely on feel.

Peter
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 09:44:19 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 08:05:26 AM »
Pete,

Thanks for the input  :D

I understand Very well the reasons for people using scales and mathematics in their prep of dough and I hope people can understand the reasons why myself and many others have been preparing dough "Our" way for hundreds of years even before scales were affordable to the common man and that somehow, at least I feel that maybee we are part of the ancient methods of making dough  ;D ;D

As You have said numerous times in the past it is really just a matter of "personal preference" and there is no "right of wrong"  ;D

Jerry