Author Topic: Latest Dough Recipe, By Request :)  (Read 61032 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Latest Dough Recipe, By Request :)
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2008, 08:03:43 AM »
Because my stone and peel are on the smaller side I found that I had to roll the crust up a little bit to make it fit (which speaks to the fine stretching ability of this dough), which suited my fancy just fine.

DenaliPete,

I look forward to the photos of the next pizza.

BTW, what is the size of your stone and how many pizzas did you make with Jerry's recipe? I assume you used volume measurements.

Peter

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2008, 07:21:40 PM »
Pete-zza,

I feel I should be a little more specific in regards to my stone and peel;

My problem partially lay with my peel, which is 12 inches, whereas my stone is roughly 15 inches.  I also must chalk a large part of my need to roll the crust to pilot error.  I'm still very much a novice in the pizza world and am still very sketchy with the actual shaping of my pie.  They often end up a little more like a rounded out rectangle than  a circular pie that many people are used to.  Had I a bit more experience shaping the dough I may not have had any problem fitting the skin on my peel.

I also ran into a slight bit of trouble when transferring from the peel to the stone, so my placement on the stone wasn't perfect and I had a small portion of the  pizza hanging off the stone.  I also ended up with some toppings just spilling directly onto the stone, which is no fun.  I suspect that next time I'll have to be more liberal with my use of flour on the paddle.

I split my dough into two as per Jerry's instructions, and only made one pizza last night, leaving the other  to sit in the fridge, I have it warming up on the countertop as we speak.  I'm beginning to believe that I could split the dough into thirds next time and still come up with a decent sized pie. 

Your assumption of volumetric measurements is correct.  In all my recipes I've taken to measuring by volume rather than weight...this is more than anything due to my own inexperience.  To be honest, looking at the numbers by weight as well as measuring hydration, etc. kinda makes my head spin.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2008, 08:17:17 PM »
DenaliPete.

Jerry's dough is a high hydration dough, but your results should improve as you gain more experience handling such doughs. You also have to act fast in dressing the pizza to minimize the likelihood of the dough sticking to the peel. You might try using some semolina flour on your peel in lieu of regular flour. Or you can dress the pizza on a sheet of parchment paper before depositing the pizza onto the stone.

I asked about the use of volume measurements because it is fairly easy to downsize Jerry's recipe to make 12" pizzas if that is what you are after. I think I can help you with that if you are interested.

Peter

Offline DenaliPete

« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2008, 08:34:56 PM »
That would be great Pete-zza.  I think that'd be right up my alley.

I'm guessing that you're right about needing a little more experience handling high hydration doughs.  My usual recipe is much less moist so I had a little trouble accomodating to that.

I currently have a new poolish in the works that I changed a little bit from Jerry's, and I also have another set of his in the works.  I will be sure to keep you posted on the results.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2008, 09:08:48 PM »
DenaliPete,

Are you using barley malt syrup or honey? And what brand and type of flour and what kind of salt (e.g., table salt, Morton's or Diamond Crystal Kosher) are you using, and how many pizzas do you want to make?

Peter
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:27:55 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2008, 04:14:13 PM »
Well, I finally got around to trying JerryMac's dough recipe.  Unfortunately, I got started late in the day, so by the time the dough was ready, it was getting late, so I ended up refrigerating it. :(

Here is what my preferment looked like
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2008, 04:15:51 PM »
Here is the initial prep of my JerryMac pizza.  I used some cubed ham and Italian sausage as toppings.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2008, 04:20:32 PM »
Here are some final shots.  Tasted great!  I noticed the spring in the crust, but it did not seem as much as I have observed in previous posts.  I attribute that to either waiting 2 days to make the pizza, or possibly overworking the crust a little.  Overall, though, nice dough recipe.  Very flavorful.  I give it a B+/A-.  :chef:

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 04:22:20 PM by Mad_Ernie »
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Ian J

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #88 on: May 13, 2008, 08:05:40 AM »
Hi Jerry,

Being from the UK I struggle to find many of the ingredients on this forum.

For example:

No King Arthur Flour & strongest bread style flour I have found is 13.8%
No 6in1 tomatoes or any other brands favoured on the forum.
Very hard to find decent pepperoni.  I have ended up using a blend of 2 to get the right balance of smokiness and spiciness.

Regarding the above if anyone from the UK can recommend brands please le me know.

I have been trying out a few of the recipes on the board with varying success, none that I tried though featured a starter as I didnít feel confident enough to maintain one.

However as this recipe included a very easy to make starter I decided to give it a go.

So far I have made the poolish and mixed it in with the remainder of the ingredients.

The poolish looked exactly as shown in this thread.

It is currently having itís 1st 90 minute rise.

I will split this to make 3 pizzas as I only have a pizza oven with a 12 inch stone (similar to the G3 Ferrari ovens)

Ian

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2008, 08:48:49 AM »
Mad_Ernie,

Great lookin Pie  ;) ;) ;)

Thanks for the comps and the cup  ;D ;D

Mangia Bene  :chef:
Jerry

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #90 on: May 13, 2008, 08:50:22 AM »
Ian,

Glad to see your tryin the dough  :D

Let us know how it turns out  :)

Jerry

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2008, 09:41:51 AM »
Mad_Ernie,

Great lookin Pie  ;) ;) ;)

Thanks for the comps and the cup  ;D ;D

Jerry

You're quite welcome.  Thank you for the recipe! :D
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Ian J

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2008, 10:16:13 AM »
Must be the warm weather here but the dough rose enough to use well before the 2nd 90 minutes rest.

The balls were very nice to work with, easy to stretch and had great window paining (much better than I have ever had before)

Each made one 12 inch pie no problem, the oven spring was the best ever.  The rim on each skin was approximately 1/4 inch before baking, but rose to an inch and more.  The crush browned very nicely and had a superb crunch with a creamy soft interior.

Far and away the best same day pizza I have ever made, I would even go so far as to say probably the best compared to overnight.

I now need to find some better quality sauce and toppings as this dough has really upped the stakes.

I have in the past used a bread machine on dough setting for pizzas and found that it was never as good as hand kneading.  I mixed this in the bread maker and it easily beat anything Iíve hand mixed.

I would recommend this dough to anyone with a bread maker.

Many thanks for this recipe Jerry

Ian

Offline briterian

• and some think pizza's easy!
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2008, 10:23:38 AM »
Based on the success of the jerry's starter/sponge/poolish, I was motivated to goto sourdo.com last night and order the Italian starter. It should arrive early next week.

Thanks Jerry for making me take it up another notch. I'll document how it goes.   

My wife comments that the dough was my most 'flavorful' yet and I'm sure that was the main reason.  I'm also intrigued by the use of 2 tsp of yeast. For so many years, I've been told to go super light on the yeast - and with the additional yeast, I've found it to not impart any negative qualities.

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2008, 09:20:54 AM »
Ian,

Glad it worked out so well  ;D ;D

Jerry

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2008, 09:24:15 AM »
briterian,

On the yeast thingey, Whatever, it works and I am definitely not the one to knock anything that Works  :-D :-D :-D

Mangia Bene :chef:
Jerry

Offline Ian J

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2008, 09:02:43 AM »
Well I couldn't wait any longer, my pizza oven died a while ago and I've not had the cash required to purchase a replacement.

I bit the bullet and bough a pizza stone to try in my home oven, this is my 1st attempt using the Jerrymac dough method. (JM's is my favourite recipe/technique, this is the 1st time I have made it in my standard oven

The top was done to perfection with a lovely snap to the crust, but the bottom was very underdone, soft and I would have to say doughy.

I've tried to get a fibrament stone but the company never replied to my emails regarding shipping to the UK.

There are some stones being tested on the forum where the bottom of the pizza's cooked have been overdone compared to the top (on a modified Little Black Egg) I'm wondering if one of those would work better for my current circumstances.

FYI. The stone was at the top of the oven with the broiler turned on full, any lower down and the pizza cooked way too slow and was like a cracker.

Ian
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 09:08:12 AM by Ian J »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2008, 11:10:11 AM »
Ian,

What is the maximum temperature that you are able to get out of your oven, and how long do you preheat the stone at the top of the oven under broiler heat?

And what size pizzas did you make using the stone?

Peter
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 11:13:28 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Ian J

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2008, 11:41:34 AM »
My oven max temp according to the manual is around 260 centigrade (but I don't have a thermometer to confirm this)

I heated the oven for over an hour,  the thermostat had clicked on/off a few times.

The stones are 15" and the pizzas were 12", I bought 2 stones as they were on offer and placed them together for larger thermal mass as each is only 1cm deep.

I tried separating the stones one each above/below but that just made things worse, the pizza took much longer to cook on top and was dry as biscuit.

Although the base shown was undercooked it tasted very nice.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2008, 12:23:13 PM »
Ian,

Your oven temperature (260 degrees C, or 500 degrees F) should be sufficient for baking a JerryMac pizza. 

Not too long ago, member pwaldman suggested a new method for baking his pizzas, which he discussed at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6585.msg56478.html#msg56478 in relation to other methods he has used. Is the method you used like the new method he describes at the above thread?

Another possibility that occurs to me is to use a pizza screen, if you have one, together with a pizza stone. The stone would be placed at the lowest oven position and preheated for an hour at 260 degrees C. The pizza is initially baked on the pizza screen at the topmost oven position. When the rim of the pizza starts to expand and turn a light brown (the cheeses should be starting to bubble), the pizza is shifted off of the screen (which can then be removed from the oven) to the preheated stone to get the desired degree of bottom crust browning and crispiness.

A further alternative is to bake the pizza directly on the preheated pizza stone and shift it to the topmost oven position when the bottom of the crust is as you like it so that the top of the pizza can finish baking if such is needed (with or without using the broiler).

JerryMac's recipe produces a very high hydration dough (between about 65-70% by my estimation) so you may need to do some experimenting with bake times, temperatures, stone/screen options, and positioning within the oven to achieve the desired results.

Please keep us posted if you find a workable solution.

Peter