Author Topic: Commercial Oven for Thin Crust  (Read 1974 times)

Offline negotiator50

Commercial Oven for Thin Crust
« on: November 12, 2007, 05:00:16 PM »
Hello all,

I really enjoy reading the forum and implementing a lot of the techniques in my restaurant. I am looking to start offering thin crust pizzas at my restaurant. What type of oven is best to cook the thin crust pizzas in a commercial setting? Is deck better than conveyor? Does anyone have any specific experience with a specific oven that cooks wonderful cracker style pies. I am considering an earthstone wood burning / gas combo oven (130-PAGW). The temps get to about 1000 degrees. I am hoping to cook the pizzas in two minutes or less. Any comments or ideas?

Thanks

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Commercial Oven for Thin Crust
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 10:33:54 AM »
Definitely go for a wood fired oven if you want a 2 minute pizza.  Conveyers never get the right texture unless you are looking for a Papa John's or Domino's style,  but that would be silly!  They already have the just about every market saturated for the american style.  I think you should do something different and a wood burner is the best way to go if you have the space. 

First, make sure that you really want to do a 2 minute or less pizza, which would mean a soft but floppy slice. The advantage to these fast bakes is that the toppings and sauce don't cook very much which gives you a very fresh tasting pizza, but at the expense of crispness.  I think it is worth the cost of a trip to New York to try Luzzo's and make sure you want a super fast pizza like that. Once you have tried Luzzo's (1.5-2 minute pizza) then hit John's, Patsy's (harlem) or Grimaldes (Brooklyn) to try a 3-4 minute pizza which would be perfect for the earthstone.

If you want a sturdier crust or you want to do something larger than a 14 inch pizza I suggest a slower bake 3-4 minutes, which would be a good match for the earthstone.  For a 2 minute bake I highly suggest a Neapolitan oven (made in Naples Italy) which would be much more efficient and save you money in the long run, as well as producing pizzas with more uniform bakes.   For a 2 minute pie they are just much easier to deal with especially in a commercial setting.

Offline negotiator50

Re: Commercial Oven for Thin Crust
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 02:02:51 PM »
Scott,

Thank you so much for your help. In reality, a 3 to 4 minute pizza should be acceptable for the concept we are implementing. Our experience is with conveyors and this is our first forey into wood burning or deck ovens. I was just wondering if a could even cook the thin crust in a wood burning oven properly. It definitely sounds like I could. I will probably take your advice on the New York trip to try the different styles at the restaurants. Once again, I appreciate your help.

pizzapan