Author Topic: brick ovens - gas/wood vs wood only  (Read 1962 times)

Offline artigiano

brick ovens - gas/wood vs wood only
« on: January 03, 2008, 02:04:40 PM »
I am just curious about opinions on what people think the pros an d cons are between gas/wood mix and wood only?  I find in Italy it seemed like it was probably 60/40 wood to gas/wood ratio.  This is just an estimate.  Howevor, in North America it seems its about 80/20 gas/wood vs wood only.  I am wondering the reasons?  I am personally more fond of the wood only.. but was wondering why the shift?  Is it much cheaper with this gas mix?

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: brick ovens - gas/wood vs wood only
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:11:50 AM »
I am not sure how you have made your estimate but I could confidently say that over the whole country in Italy the split would be more likely 90% wood only and 10% gas assisted (most likely not to burn wood/gas mixed because they may have gone gas for local restriction...).

In Naples, counting the thousands of existing pizzeria probably you are luckily to find 1 or 2 gas ovens (only ever seen one at a demonstration not in an actual pizzeria).

With Gas only you would not necessarily need a chimney, while a wood.gas mixture would suggest a scenic factor other then somehow try to help in keeping the floor balanced...

Ciao

Offline artigiano

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 03:49:26 AM »
Thanks Marco,

I was in Umbria and the pizza is not the best there.. and I took a look at some of the places my cousins took me and I jsut did a rough estimate.  I am much more confident in your estimation.  thanks.. by the way.. why is it in N.America there is this gas/wood mix?

Offline artigiano

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 03:50:52 AM »
Marco,

could you also respond to my question about why the marble is used over a harder stone like granite for the counter?