Author Topic: Aluminum comes off onto pizza dough?  (Read 3023 times)

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
Aluminum comes off onto pizza dough?
« on: November 30, 2007, 08:19:01 AM »
I have some aluminum pans for retarding dough.   I scrub them in the sink only (no dishwasher), and I just had what I can only guess is aluminum come off onto my doughball.  It was just like silvery gray that coated a part of the outside of the ball.

I have seem the same "stuff" come off when scrubbing an aluminum serving pan which was purchased from a completely different source.  What is this exactly and how concerned should I be?
Patrick

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Aluminum comes off onto pizza dough?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 08:40:13 AM »
Probably oxidation. Aluminum is not recommended for acidic foods. Is your dough acidic? Acids are created as part of fermentation. Perhaps the water you use is a little acidic.

There was some evidence a while back connecting aluminum with Alzheimer's, but I don't think the connection was never definitively proved. Regardless, you might want to change to another kind of container.

Bill/SFNM

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 11:00:20 AM »
This is a bummer, but I think I maybe should.  I don't believe anything should be getting into my dough except what I put into it!!! 

It is odd because all of the local pizza places seem to use these types of stackable aluminum things.  Very easy to use and clean and the top just sits on top, it doesn't "seal", like tupperware generally does... I am not sure you want when fermenting dough.  I would guess it needs plenty of oxygen to do what it does(?).
Patrick

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 11:53:41 AM »
It is odd because all of the local pizza places seem to use these types of stackable aluminum things.  Very easy to use and clean and the top just sits on top, it doesn't "seal", like tupperware generally does... I am not sure you want when fermenting dough.  I would guess it needs plenty of oxygen to do what it does(?).

Patrick,

The dough proofing/retarding pans used by professionals are like the ones shown here: http://www.amnow.com/pizzasupplies/doughPans.html. They are anodized and tempered and unlikely to affect the dough as in your case. Otherwise, users would be up in arms.

Peter

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 06:39:48 PM »
The ones I've purchased do not say if they are anodized or not but these are 3 different items, the retarding pans, and two serving pans, from 3 different places, including foodservicedirect (AdCraft brand) and pizzatools.com, and a random restaurant supplier in NYC.  Could it be the quality of each of these is coincidently that bad or is it the soap I am using or (???
Patrick

Offline speedy

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
I also just got some retarding pans for dough, and when I wiped them clean there was the silver grayish coloring all over the towel! I am concerned by this and if anyone has more definitive idea what it is or a way to prevent/ remove it I would be most grateful. Is this a quality control issue or just something that happens with these pans. I might have to go with Peters suggestion above, but it just seems strange that all these companies would sell the aluminum pans if this is a consistent problem. If anybody has experience with them please state your results. Thanks

-Speedy

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 10:34:09 PM »
I have seen this sort of thing happen after dishwashing cetain aluminum things,  yet not on others.  Started googling and found stuff like this.  I'm sure november could elaborate.     http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cookware/msg0911575625865.html 

-marc

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 10:28:54 AM »
As per that thread - I know you should not put aluminum in the dishwasher - we don't and still get the gray silver stuff rubbing off.  Sounds like maybe I am just doing "too good" of a job cleaning  ???
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 10:31:00 AM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 05:44:23 PM »
This is becoming and increasing problem due to cheap cookware being sold over the internet. I have also seen this occur from metal which was previously recycled. If aluminum cookware is not coated or treated correctly, it will do this. Also it is recommended to NEVER use aluminum for high heat applications or acidic foods like tomatoes. Once the oxide layer is removed off the aluminum, all you're doing is poisoning your food.

Buy your cookware from a reputable dealer or use stainless steel, plastics, etc.

pizzapan