Author Topic: Coal fired pizza in Saugus Ma?  (Read 5476 times)

Offline ebpizza

Coal fired pizza in Saugus Ma?
« on: November 26, 2007, 03:13:25 PM »
Has anyone tried this

http://angelascfp.com/

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Coal fired pizza in Saugus Ma?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 02:45:37 AM »
I jumped right in the car when I read your post EB!  Ok here's the scoop.  They have only been open since the 5th, so there are still some kinks to be worked out, but there are a lot of positives.  The biggest of which is that the oven is indeed running hot.  It always kills me to go into a coal or wood fired pizzeria to find that the oven is only at 500, but this seemed closer to 700.  I didn't time the pie, but I think it was at about four minutes which puts it right into the range of the Grimalde's/ Lombardi's/ John's/ Pizzeria Bianco style. I could tell that they are using bromated flour.  This created a very pillowy soft dough which was very tender, but at the expense of creating a crust with some characteristics similar to what you would find in a pizza at Domino's or Papa Johns.  Bromated flour in a high temp oven can produce a wonderbread vibe if you are not careful.  The pizza was thicker than a typical NY high temp place, closer to a standard Rays/Sbarros thickness.  It reminded me very much of the Patsy's chain in NYC, but not the better original Harlem Patsy's location that puts out pizza with more character and a thinner crust.

While I was waiting for my pizza a fresh mozzarella vendor was visiting trying to sell the owner on their product, so this could bode well for the future. With a better cheese (my pizza had normal dry mozzarella that seemed bland), and some tinkering with the dough recipe and/or flours there is definitely some potential to produce a world class product. The owner definitely has prior pizza making experience since the dough was properly mixed, proofed, and it was used at the right time.  This is more than I can say for many "gourmet" pizzerias, especially around Boston.  There were some odd things like a lot of black pepper on the pizza, and no way to get fresh mozzarella and tomato sauce on the same pie (fresh mozzarella pies come with sliced fresh tomatoes).  I noticed one pizzaiolo using a rolling pin, and another who didn't, so I am sure there are some consistency issues with the end product because of this.  My pizza had a bit of char on top, but was undercooked in the middle.  It lacked some of the addictive qualities that you find in the pizza at the destination NY joints, but this place is definitely a welcome addition to the Boston pizza scene and the only area pizzeria that I can say is actually high temp.

The menu is very limited, but offers a few other items than pizza.  I think this is a good thing, as pizzerias that do too much never seem to have the best pizza.  There was a salad, a dessert, a calzone, a few sandwiches, and wings.  I tried the wings and they were very creative, combining what tasted like a citrus/soy marinade, a pile of roasted onions (which were way too salty) and two pieces of garlic bread.  The wings were fall off the bone tender and I would order them again.  Overall it was a good experience and I look forward to going back in hopes that they are still working out the kinks with the pizza recipe.  With the high even heat that their ovens produce Angelas could put out one of the best pizzas on the east coast, but what I had today was just a better than average pizza.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 03:34:01 AM »
look forward to trying it next time I fly back to visit.  Looks like it is right off route 1.  What is it near / What side of the road is it on?  (I'm not going to remember the address the next time I'm driving through).
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 04:18:20 AM »
just a few stores north of Kowloon on the same side

Offline elicheez

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 11:14:56 AM »
Anybody try this place?

http://www.stonehearthpizza.com/

There are a few around the Boston 'burbs.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 12:26:59 PM »
I fell like this place is the typical attempt at neapolitan, but without the high temps.  Good toppings but a boring tough and somewhat crackery crust.  Nothing like real neapolitan.  A good alternative to CPK.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 01:32:51 PM »
scott thanks for the review. I'm gonna give it a try this week.

Offline trosenberg

• Lifetime Member
  • Burning Desire for Pizza
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 08:38:22 PM »
I lived in Saugus Mass back around 1970 while I was going to BU.  Is Frank's Hilltop Steak House still there?
Trosenberg

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 08:47:40 PM »
I lived in Saugus Mass back around 1970 while I was going to BU.  Is Frank's Hilltop Steak House still there?

Yes.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 03:18:04 AM »

haha oh yeah
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2007, 03:23:14 AM »
I remember a weekend back in the 90's when someone stole a bunch of the lifesize fake plastic cows from the Hilltop Steakhouse and put them on top of The Middle East (club/cafe) in Central square. It was it was certainly a sight to see.  I always wondered if the Hilltop guys had to come retrieve their own cows since they did eventually make their way back to their home "grazing" spot on route 1.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2007, 09:25:05 AM »

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/articles/2007/11/28/fire_it_up/

Fire it up
November 28, 2007

At Angela's Coal Fired Pizza, your straw barely hits the soda before you get your pie. That's how fast pizzas ($13.50-$18.50, above, right) come out of the coal ovens here. They're heated to 900 degrees and were custom built in the Abruzzi region of Italy, designed less for speed than for the clean, crisp quality they impart to everything that goes in them. Soft, fluffy dough is lightly blackened on the outside, which owner Eric Sideri says he worked long and hard to perfect. Angela's other house specialty is buffalo wings ($8.50-$14.95, above, left), also cooked in the ovens. Sideri loves chicken but hates greasy wings, so he dresses them up as his Italian family does, with olive oil, lemon, garlic, and rosemary, and serves them with caramelized onions. They have a thin, crisp, golden skin. Bring your appetite. Angela's Coal Fired Pizza, 880 Broadway, Route 1 North, Saugus; 781-941- 2625. - DARRY MADDEN

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 02:34:09 PM »
Ok, so I made it over to Angela's this week and basically Scott's review pretty much sums it up.

Other than Luzzo's, I've never experienced coal-fired pizza so I didn't have much to compare it against. The pizza looks heavy, but you don't get that overstuffed feeling after eating the pizza.

The oven was still running around 750 degrees at 9:30pm. I'd also recommend the wings.

Finally, good pizza is back in Boston, well at least north of Boston. I shall return.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 12:10:06 AM »
I have a good friend who lives in Saugus and he recently tried Angela's after I told him about the place after reading ebizza's initial post. My friend tried a pepperoni and sausage pizza.  He rated the pizza an A-minus. He thought the price ($16) was a bit high for what he estimated to be a 10-12" pizza, but said that he would go back there again. It was his first experience with a pizza baked in a coal-fired oven.

Another local area pizzeria that he mentioned to me as making a good pizza is Stella's Pizzeria and Roast Beef, at 465 Essex St. (which crosses Rte. 1 in Saugus), 781-231-1611. This place is family run and has an extensive pizza list, as well as subs, roast beef sandwiches, wraps, salads, pastas and desserts. My friend considers Stella's to be a better value than Angela's for his particular tastes. Apparently Stella's does not have a website.

Peter

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 07:44:36 PM »
I went back again this weekend. Unlike last week's pizza, this pizza had lots of black pepper.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 08:29:01 PM »
crazy right?  A friend of mine went a few days ago, and I warned her about the pepper. As it turns out she did like it, but I just couldn't get used to it. 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 02:55:45 PM »
I went back yesterday but more hot and cold news.   Good news:  They have a pizza listed on the menu as having "fresh mozzarella" and it turns out the cheese is actually buffalo mozzarella, which is considerably more expensive and tastier than a standard fresh mozzarella.   The cheese was REALLY fresh and helped to bring some more character to the pizza.  The pizza was consistent with what I had the previous visit, and I think a consistent product is the hardest thing for a pizzeria to accomplish. I definitely preferred the more expensive cheese, but I still wonder why there is only one pizza on the menu that uses it.  I would prefer they just up the prices and stick with the buffalo like Luzzo's did a few years ago. On this visit I (unintentionally) got a large pizza and it was thinner than the small I had the first time I tried Angelas.  I prefer the thinner crust as this place does have a bit of a problem with a gummy layer of uncooked dough under the sauce and this helps the issue.  The thinner crusted large pizza was also more in line with what I expect from a coal fired pizzeria such as what you can find at Sally's,  Luzzos, and the original Patsy's.

Bad News: I was on my cell phone, so who knows if it was really my fault for a bad connection but the order was really screwed up.  I told the guy on the phone that I knew the pizza I wanted was not on the menu, but could they make a special pizza for me. He said "yes of course". I ordered a small pizza with sauce (not tomatoes) and the buffalo mozzarella. He told me it would not be a problem.  As stated in my first post there is no way to get tomato sauce with the cheese upgrade, only fresh sliced tomatoes and no sauce.  I get there to pick up my pizza and not only does it have no sauce and is covered with the largest thickest sliced tomatoes imaginable (yuck), but it is a large pizza and I ordered a small.  The guy was really nice so I didn't have the heart to complain, but I just have a pet peeve against quarter inch thick four inch wide slices of tomato on my pizza. 

Even though it was thinner than my first pizza there was still some raw dough on inside, and with bromated flour this really scares me.  You can actually see this gummy layer in the cover photo on their website.  http://angelascfp.com/

Just like my first encounter the pizza was definitely good enough to keep me going back in hopes that I will get that transcendent coal oven experience that I have had in New York.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 04:25:12 AM by scott r »

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 07:05:44 PM »
Why on earth would they use a bromated flour?  Man does that tick me off.  How about some pics next time you take out Scott??

On another note,  I think I am gonna head up to this  other place tonight to see if it passes the test,  I'll try and take pics,  but will be dining in and may feel like too much of a pizza geek doing it.  But we'll see.  My buddy went a couple weeks ago and said it was good.  He chatted with the owner who acctually went to Antica for training , and the bought and installed what sounds like a bread oven?!  I'll be back,  heres the link -marc

http://www.900degrees.com/

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 04:27:14 AM »
Well I am very scared that he trained at Antica since I think it is the worst neapolitan in the US, but this website does look promising.  If this place sucks I am going to try to find the owner and beg him to go to Il Pizzaiolo to see what real neapolitan pizza is supposed to be like.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 09:58:31 AM »
So as to not hijack this thread , I have posted my thoughts on 900 degrees under its own topic in rest reviews -marc

Offline EdF

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 01:06:38 PM »
So have either of you tried Ponte Vecchio on Rt 1 in Danvers - just south of the Topsfield line?

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 03:21:06 PM »
I've heard of it, but I have never been there.

Pizza looks good.

http://www.pontevecchiodanvers.com/lunch.html

pizzapan