Author Topic: Modified Deni 2100 clone pizza  (Read 4127 times)

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
Modified Deni 2100 clone pizza
« on: October 19, 2007, 08:50:32 PM »
I modified a Deni 2100 pizza oven clone to run flat out. I split the top and bottom heating elements to run independently, removing thermostat and other extraneous stuff. For legal reasons i advise against doing any of this. It is a TERRIBLE idea.

I threw together a random 67% hydration dough with KA bread flour with instant yeast. Overnight in fridge.

So anyhow.
About 30 minutes of preheating yields this. I didn't cook it at this temp. I cooked it at 800-850

Pizza top after 3 minute cook. Still need to figure out a good balance of top coil heat vs. bottom coil heat.

Very nice crust. For a 1st try with a random dough  i'm very pleased.

Offline hopgeek

Re: Modified Deni 2100 clone pizza
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 09:16:12 PM »
Very nice looking pie!

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 11:51:09 PM »
Thanks. It was a little thick, but not bad for a weeknight dough!

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 12:30:40 AM »
Nice, glad to see that pizza chef is working out for ya.  I am gonna try to find one also.

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 09:42:55 AM »
Yup, so far happy with it. Thanks again for the help finding one

Offline toddster63

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 02:44:50 PM »
Looking real good! Great oven spring. How much IDY did you use for this batch?

I have been very happy with my Pizza Bella--making all sorts of pies--NY White, New Haven clam, and lots of good ol' Margheritas too. It's nice to be able to get a stone that hot, that fast, isn't it? I really recommend getting your hands on some Caputo Pizzeria flour--it really is as good and tasty as everyone mentions at these high temps. Caputo bakes up softer with a more delicate crunch than the KA flours, and has more flavor...

With my Bella at 800F, I too have found 3 minutes to be the ideal bake time. If you want your cheese less cooked, ala Neapolitan, I use big chunks and keep them icy cold right until baking. It does help. I have used East Coast fresh mozzarella, Polly-O, as well as fresh California Mozzarella (which is firmer and more mellow than East Coast style fresh mozzarella), and the California cheese has held up the best for me in the little Bella unit (Mozzarella Fresca brand).

Keep us posted as your experiments continue...!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 02:47:26 PM by toddster63 »

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 05:54:02 PM »
That pizza looks right on.  Proof positive what the right temp can do.  Do try some at 900 and 1000 and post pics.

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 06:40:06 PM »
I cooked one at 1000, and the bottom got too charred...need to figure out what temp is the best.

Offline pizzanyc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 06:27:36 PM »
i would really like to know how you modified with a step by step photo guide if possible?

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 06:34:28 PM »
As i said in another post, i didn't take pictures, plus it is so simple that if you can't figure it out, you honestly should not be putzing with it because it requires about as simple wiring skills as you can immagine. It really is super simply wired.

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 05:03:27 AM »
Jason,

I did the mod (on an early-model Pizza Bella; is that the one you mean?) and had no trouble defeating the thermostat, but I did not see any way to split the top and bottom elements and be able to adjust the temperature on both.  Would I not need a second dial to do that?  On the other hand, you talk about experimenting to find the right temperature.  Does that mean that you are going to try adjusting temperatures on both elements to get the right combination, or is the dial able to control (as it seems to me, since you talk about the bottom of the pie getting burned) only the bottom element?  Can I then assume that there is no problem with burning the top of the pie with the top element, that there is no need to be able to adjust the temperature on the top element and that I should re-do the mod to separate the top element from both the bottom element and from the temperature control, leaving it only to control the bottom element?

Thanks,

Gene

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 06:58:39 AM »
Gene, i removed the thermostat entirely, so there is no knob either. I brought both top and bottom element wires to an outside project box where i have 2 switches, one for the top element and one for the bottom.

I've concluded that the bottom of the pie comes out great, but hte top still is slightly undercooked because all the hot air is lost when you open it to put the pie in, even with the top element running full blast.

So far, i've been using about 850 deg. stone temp, having both top and bottom elements at full blast, putting the pizza in and closing it. Cooks for about 3 minutes. Comes out very well, but the top isn't as browned as i'd like. I need to try modifying my recipe.

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 12:41:17 PM »
Thanks, Jason,

Now I get it.  You didn't mention the addition of outside switches in your earlier post.  If I do the re-mod, I probably would substitute rheostats for simple switches, so that I can adjust the temps on both elements:

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=1000288&isRedirect=true&_requestid=40186

Any suggestions on which size I should get?

Gene

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 12:47:39 PM »
Gene, i was initially going to put dimmers/rheostats, but then tried it with the switches, and realized it is on full blast basically the whole time, so spending $15 for each dimmer was a waste.

I think the ones they sell at home depot for dimming lights wuold be fine, but a higher wattage one would work too. But try it with switches first, you might not be interested in the dimmers.

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 01:32:50 PM »
Jason,

That makes sense.  Okay, thanks.

Gene