Author Topic: 100% Whole wheat  (Read 2534 times)

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
100% Whole wheat
« on: December 13, 2007, 12:28:44 PM »
This was my first attempt at a 100% whole wheat pizza.

I used 100% KA Whole wheat flour. 
75% filtered water
2.5% kosher salt
0.30% IDY

I mixed everything together and let it sit for 30 minutes, then 6 minutes on #2 spiral hook.

It sat for 16 hours at around 62-65F.  This might have been too much - I am not sure.  The dough actually pushed the top off of the tupperware!  At that point I stuck it in the fridge for another 8 hours. 

For some reason rather than heating my oven at 600+(?)F like I normally do I thought this pizza might benefit from a longer slower bake.  I am not sure why I thought that.. I guess I am just trying different things to get the bottom and top to cook more evenly (usually I get bottom done before top). It baked at about 550 but heat sunk down to 475 by the end of 9 minutes.

It came out edible but nothing spectacular at all.  The crust was a bit dry and bland and dense.  Not really sure what I should be trying to change next time.  Maybe cooking at the hotter temps I am used to and maybe more water.  The dough did indeed not seem to have any problems sucking up 75% water and was not difficult to form into a ball or form into a pie.

Overall, for being 100% whole wheat it was an OK first try (there weren't any leftovers ).
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 12:30:41 PM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Offline charbo

• Supporting Member
  • Wheat
Re: 100% Whole wheat
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 02:08:25 PM »
Patrick,

I would recommend a little higher hydration for more lift.  With more water, folds may be necessary.  I would shorten the fermentation to narrow the enzyme window.  I would add some acidity from a preferment to strengthen the gluten.  With high hydration, I would stay with a longer, cooler bake.   

cb

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
Re: 100% Whole wheat
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 10:49:04 AM »
I've been working the whole wheat percentage up slowly.  I am currently using 50% in my sicilian and about 35% in my NY style.  I've found that suble changes have let me keep the end result similar, as the whole wheat % increases.  While not all of the pies have been great, there have been very few surprises.

Jack

pizzapan