Author Topic: Bill, Pete, Wet dough questions ???  (Read 1998 times)

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
Bill, Pete, Wet dough questions ???
« on: November 27, 2007, 12:45:07 AM »
Sorry Guys,

As a result of my "Latest Dough Recipe, By Request" post I am getting hit by a lot of PM questions that I feel have to do with people not quite understanding what I am trying to describe to them as a "Wet, Slack, or High Hydration" dough (65 percent or higher) :(

Can you guys give it a shot, trying to describe it to them, and the dough handling techniques involved, cause, apparently I have not been successful 

Sorry, I know I'm a pain in the butt, but I Do Try  :(

Any help will be appreciated   :D

Mangia Bene,  :chef:
Jerry

Offline Bryan S

Re: Bill, Pete, Wet dough questions ???
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 01:01:39 AM »
Jerry, I use a lot of high hydration doughs, and find that there's several different ways to deal with it. You can combat the wet doughs in several different ways. One is with flour which drys out the dough and lowers the hydration level, the other way is with oil or water, which can raise the hydration in the dough, but I never use the latter. My question to you is how do you handle the very wet dough. It's your dough so I feel I'm not qualified to answer that question. Don't take that the wrong way Jerry. All I'm trying to say is I myself want to make your dough, and use it like you do, so how do you deal with the high hydration wet sticky, clings to everything it touches dough? Hope this helps, Bryan  :-\
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 03:42:52 AM »
short answer: practice..  maybe a little water if necessary.. 
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 09:18:33 AM »
Jerry,

That’s a tough one. Unless you are planning visitations with members to show them in person how you make a successful version of your dough, you will have to either show them photos or a video or explain precisely how you make the dough, including the exact way that you measure out the flour, the type/brand of flour you are using, the machine you are using to mix and knead the dough, and the exact steps and sequences you are using to prepare the dough. By varying any one of the above factors, you can materially alter the hydration of the flour and create a different “feel”.

If you weighed the flour and water that resulted in a successful result, that would at least allow one to precisely determine the hydration of the dough, but it would also mean that you and the members would both have to have scales. Even with a scale, you would still have to provide most of the above information. I do this as a matter of routine in my posts even when I have posted precise dough formulations based on weights and even when I have posted photos. To the extent that you can successfully explain your processes, the exact hydration percent doesn’t have to be known in order for another member to be able to replicate your results. But, without a high level of detail, there is no frame of reference. It might help if other members posted photos of their doughs made following your instructions so that "Dr. Jerry" can attempt a diagnosis. However, that might take a few visits with Dr. Jerry.

There is only one place that I am aware of online that has attempted to show different degrees of hydration of flour. It is at http://www.sourdoughhome.com/hydration2.html. I don’t know if that will help anyone, but it at least tries to deal with the issue of hydration when volume measurements are used with different types and brands of flours.

Peter

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 03:22:25 PM »
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the input  :D

I only wish I could have people standing next to me when I make dough  >:(

Pete, you're right, it is almost impossible to describe in words  >:(

Maybe I'll try to get a still sequence of the events together ( don't have video capabilities )  :D

Jerry

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 03:25:20 PM »
Brian,

Mainly I just oil my hands and countertop when balling the dough and flour on the worksurface when doing second rise and making skins  :)

Jerry

Offline johnbbb

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 01:01:59 PM »
you are using  a home oven 550 degree why the high hydration dough!!? unless it is a thin crust very thin high  hydration dough is more succesfull in high temp oven 650 and above are you using high glutin? if so i would not go past 70% hydration and  do a thin crust  as far as how to handle it do the following after you are done mixing the dough (for high hydration you have to do autolyse for at least one hour before continue mixing) after mixing put the dough on the counter put a little flour as little as possible on under the dough on the counter and above the dough and let the dough rest for 30 minutes then come back and make your dough balls it is much easier to handle i hope this is helpfull let us know

ty

Offline JerryMac

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
johnbbb,

My crust is very thin and I, through much experimentation have found that this level of hydration at 550 gives me a crust that has fantastic oven spring, is light as air, and has just the slightest crispyness on the outside  ;D

Mangia Bene  :chef:
Jerry