Author Topic: My "Shaggy" Grilled Pizza-Pics  (Read 1685 times)

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
My "Shaggy" Grilled Pizza-Pics
« on: December 12, 2007, 10:24:02 PM »
In my neverending quest to make my wife happy  ;D I have tried to move some of my pizza making outdoors. I did this on my grill with a broken pizza stone, and unglazed quarry tiles on top of that. You see the top was much cooler-total bake time was between 5-6 minutes. It was homemade Italian sausage, gaetta olives, and fresh mozzarella.

For some reason the dough was shaggy when I was done mixing. I assumed under developed gluton- I kept kneading but to no avail. Any help? Thankfully my mess ups are still edible lately. The dough was-

KA AP 100%
Water 63%
IDY .5%
Salt 3%

6 Minute knead in the KA, then a 24 hour fridge stop.  6 hours on the counter, shape, proof 1 hour then bake.

Thanks,
Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
Re: My "Shaggy" Grilled Pizza-Pics
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 10:24:54 PM »
Here's the bottom.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 06:48:39 AM »
Jeff,

Just a few comments on your dough formulation and method. For the KA all-purpose flour, 63% hydration may be too high. That may well be why your dough was shaggy, especially if you were using a KA mixer with a C-hook. You might try reducing the hydration to around 60-61%. The salt is also higher than normally recommended. I use 1.75%, which for some is still high. Unless your kitchen is on the cool side (in the 60's), a total of seven hours bench time would normally be considered too long for a dough made with all-purpose flour. Usually a bench time of about an hour and a half after removing the dough from the refrigerator is considered normal. From that point, the dough will hold up for about another 3 hours or so. Doughs made from higher protein flours will last even longer.

Peter

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 10:20:01 AM »
Thanks for the comments Peter.

My kitchen is in the cool side, but the hydration, and salt are very interesting-I'm not even sure where I came up w/ 3%! I'm going to try a lower hydration, and see if that helps.

Thanks,
Jeff