Author Topic: Godfather's Pizza  (Read 30300 times)

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
Godfather's Pizza
« on: August 21, 2003, 12:40:25 AM »
Anyone have an opinon on Godfather's pizza?  I worked at one for a very short time in high school (25 years ago, nearly).  I remember their crust was very different than  the other chains (It was a thick crust, somewhat chewy and good)  and their sauce was very dark, not bright red like most.  I checked the internet, and they are still around, but none within an hour of where I live
"Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke"......
  "And some white toast..."  Jake & Elwood

Darrellthecrabber

Re:Godfather's Pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2003, 10:54:31 PM »
I have been a locksmith for 28 years (Govt) but owned a business also for 12 years, Godfathers was a account when they first came into Wash D.C. They used Pillsbury flour and I think thye may have been owned by them in some way. Their pizza was ok. They were trying to take business from PH. There organization was a bit HA. They opened about a dozen stores here , then they folded  in this area.

LOSMAN

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2003, 09:49:47 PM »
GODFATHERS Spotting! I grew up in Marion Ohio and their Godfathers pizzeria is still in business.  We typically get their thin crust which is pretty good. Unfortunately there not one near where I live now.

Doughdreamer

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 02:20:28 AM »
We have a Godfather's here..
and quit going.. the quality wasn't there anymore, the restaurant was/is poorly run.
I have a hard time believing they are still open, but they do have their loyal customers.
To each his own I guess.

Randy G

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2004, 12:17:22 PM »
I worked at the Memphis store many years ago. I was told to put less than the listed amount of toppings on the chart, unless the district manager was in. After a couple of hours of doing that and realizing I didn't see any of the saving, I made the pies even better than the chart spec. My pizzas looked damn good.

The manager was a tightwad when it came to employee purchases, we were only allowed to buy one personal size pizza a day (for $2). I think once they made a pizza for all 8 of us on the crew at the time. And yet I'd see all this extra dough get thrown away every day.

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 12:07:08 AM »
I still have a few Godfather's around.
I used to like their product alot about 15 years ago but it has since gone down hill trying to compete in the Pizza Hut, Domino's, Papa Johns race.
Their problem was that they did not fit into the catagory of fast food pizza and that is what they made the turn toward and I think their quality suffered terribly.
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

Randy G

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 06:21:17 PM »
I remember liking the Godfather's pizza back then, almost better than Pizza Hut's. I bought a Pizza Hut pie the other day, and this dough was really tough, my temples hurt from eating it (I'm not joking). It seems all of the chains have gone downhill, even worse than Little Caesar's quality from 1993. The only selections from the chains I seem to like now are Domino's Cheezy Bread, their thin crust (cracker) pizza, and Papa John's pizza. I just moved back from Memphis and was a big Garibaldi's pizza fan, but of course that's a Memphis only thing.

Pretty poor non-chain establishment selection here in Brownsville, so I need to perfect my own pizza quick.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 07:07:52 AM »
I also have a Godfathers memory. :)

Way back when,,, they are long gone now here in Toledo ohio.

There used to be one must have been like 1980-82 or so,,, At the height of the video game era...  ;D

I was like 13 years old...sigh.... the days... :)
But the thing I remember the most about the pizza was the crust!!! Now I have seen what Godfathers has on the web, but this is not at all what I remember!!!

The crust I remember was like at least 3 or 4 inches high around the edge.... I am sure! And thin in the middle. It was good :) but$$$ for mom and pop's... didn't get very often :'(  

The place was always packed with people.

But that crust!!! 3 to 4 inchs high!!! :o It was VERY VERY airy and light too, not heavy. Like a NY thin style but with a mile high edge crust. (Not deep dish pan either). Drool:)::::::

I would love to learn how to make a pie like that!

Does anyone remember the crust being like that???

It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 07:24:33 AM »

There used to be one must have been like 1980-82 or so,,, At the height of the video game era...  ;D

I was like 13 years old...sigh.... the days... :)

Now I know I am the oldest one on this list.  I have a son that was that age in the early 80's.
 ::)
Down here Godfather's went out very quickly.  The last time we ate at one it was awful, so no wonder they didn't last long.

Randy

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 10:02:19 AM »

"But the thing I remember the most about the pizza was the crust!!! Now I have seen what Godfathers has on the web, but this is not at all what I remember!!!"

Thats what I mean... It must have been a local thing...

They did die out a few years later... lots of other pizza places right around there...

I gotta do a reveiw on toledo's oldest and best place...

http://www.originalginospizza.com/

Oh Man...

More to come!!!! :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 10:05:39 AM by Trinity »
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline PizzaGuy37

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2004, 12:46:20 AM »
GODFATHER'S WAS THE BEST!

Out of all of the pizza chains, Godfather's was the best by far!

I live in Wisconsin and there are none near me anymore either, why, I don't know.

Yes, the crust was awesome, it wasnt a thick bread-like crust it was perfect and they had A LOT of ingredients on top of it.

Wonder why they went out of business everywhere....

???

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2004, 08:55:24 AM »

Well not quite everywhere... :)

I wonder,,, Is that the crust I remember?!?....

Looks like deepdish... Trin thinks.....

http://www.godfathers.com/

Paul

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2004, 08:06:55 PM »
 We have a few here in Jacksonville florida. Their actually inside Hess gas stations. I made the mistake of getting on and it did indeed taste like pizza from a gas station. Too bad though. I loved their pizza back in the mid 80's.

Guest TMS

Re: Godfather's Pizza
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 04:52:25 PM »
Folks, just throwing up here what I can about Godfather's. I'm not yet a member, but probably will join. I see I'm not alone in this.

In the early 70s, I was living in an apartment probably 500 feet from the ovens at the original.

It was called Wild Willie's, a bar in Omaha owned by Willie Thiesen (the guy behind Famous Dave's BBQ today). Think cruddy strip center surrounded by cheap divorcee apartments, near 99th and Q.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&formtype=address&searchtype=address&cat=&address=S%2099th%20St%20%26%20Q%20Plz&city=Omaha&state=NE&zipcode=68127&searchtab=home

Right where the second "9" in 99th is.

They were making pizza in the back, and in 73-74 or so, you'd get in on cardboard/parchment paper, all wrapped in a white paper bag. You'd walk through the dark, over peanut shells, with Crododile Rock or something playing loud, and pick it up.

Crust was chewy, heavily docked, with THICK sides probably 1.5 inches high. Sweetish sauce, high-qual sticky mozz cheese, and toppings that were almost Chicago deep dish solid (as in, hamburger would be a sheet just beneath the cheese. Probably cheese a bit first, then burger, then remainder cheese.) Very heavy. Similar to some deep dish Chicago pies in weight. A bit too floppy to pick up, but you could if you wanted. The crust could hold up.

The place got its own name in about 75, BOOMED in about 76 or 77, and suddenly Godfather's were everywhere. In about 83 or so, Pillsbury bought the corp out, and it went downhill. I think they first thing they did was a crust rework, and it was horrible. Real baker powder-like.

Used to go my first year of so of high school and get a medium, hamburger/black olive/mushroom, and pitcher of Coke. $10.40

REAL similar to pizza in top right of main page image at http://www.godfathers.com/

but the taste is just NOT the same.

Offline captain-insano

• Lets eat!
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2005, 11:25:46 PM »
There was one located in Lawrence KS . This was in the mid seventies. They used to have real thick heavy pizza like I have never seen since. There commercials used to have a mob guy and talked about how thick they were. They are nowhere near anything like they were back then. I imagine a big corporation bought them and screwed them up like thay always do. Maybe they just tasted good when I was a kid but they had some serious toppings on there from what I can remember. We have some Godfathers in the Kansas City area but they are nothing like they used to be.  I remeber when I was in the Navy in California in 1984. We were riding around looking for I place to eat and I saw a Godfathers. Told my friends that this was the best pizza i ever had. Went in there and it had changed. Must have been just after conglomo bought them.It made me want to cry. Seems to me that the Minskys chain in KC was about the same type pizza back then. They have changed also.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 11:30:45 PM by captain-insano »

Sirlopealot

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2005, 03:42:48 PM »
I see all of these people that worked at Godfather's Pizza and I have to wonder - Did anyone look at their check stubbs?  My wife used to work there in the late 80's, early 90's.  When she got paid one time, I noticed that on the top-left of  the stub read the conglomo name "Aifam Enterprises."  Read aifam backwards and you'll see what I mean.  Pretty wild, huh?  Anyway, does anyone have a recipe for their dough?  I used to have one years ago but is now lost somewhere in the wild blue yonder.  They did have the best pie around - especially the crust.  Any help would be appreciated.

"You can lead a man to knowledge, but you can't make him think."  --  Sirlopealot

Godfather

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2005, 04:53:46 AM »
hheehe!!
Aifam was Godfathers' biggest franchisee back in the 70's-80's. It was ran by Fred and Pat Shaw out of Wichita Kansas. They not only owned alot of stores, they also had a wholesale business called Aifam Wholesale.
The name of the company was a runnin joke but their success was nothing of a sort.
The Shaws divorced in the early 90's and their stores were sold to Godfathers Inc.
For some reason, GPI did not support those stores, and in the Oklahoma market alone, 14 stores were targeted, and later closed.
I have a passion for this company because I used to work there when I was much younger. It was my first job (Aifam) and I worked there for 9 years. They gave me a start in the business and allowed me to support my wife, now of 18 years, and my family.........though we are divorced now, I still thank that company for giving me my start in management.

Steve Cheeser

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 11:40:40 AM »
I worked for Godfather's for 4 years back in the early 80's and they had really good pizza. The large combo weighed over 5 lbs. and had a pound of sausage a pound of beef a pound of pepperoni and a pound of cheese. Having some spare time lately I went back as a cook part time and let me tell you they have cut the ingredients back a lot. Now a large pizza gets only 11 ounces of cheese and not nearly as much meat and sometimes the managers tell me to cut 1 ounce of cheese off of the expected amount and this really pisses me off as I know the customers are paying top dollar for the product so I just blow them off anyway. We are suppost to get performance reviews within the first 60 days and I have yet to get one and have worked there over 6 months. This company is cheap!!!!!!  They used to have a deep pan pizza that was a flakey buttery crust but they no longer have it. I'm probably going to quit there soon as they expect you to do 2 persons work for 1 persons pay! (CHEAP) >:(

Offline pizza2471

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2005, 03:43:22 PM »
In Canada --More like Godawfull's Pizza- right from the quality, quantity, variety etc. to the treament of employees. Thier success is in marketing, location (small towns with populations of 4,000 to 12,000) with little or no competition, the fool proof use of track ovens, constant food cost monitering and that shiny pizza chain look and feel. They view working for them as a total commitment rather then just employment. This seems to motivate some people-----alot of people actually..........
I know their recipe from memory but well ....as much as.....well...thats just not fair AND there's that aifam thing.
Thier recipe is nothing special. It only involved pizza flour (I'm sure hard flour is all that was in bag) equal amounts of salt and sugar, Instant yeast, good old tap water and vegetable oil ( No- name seems to do). Oh and another key to thier pizza may be the use of "plain" (totally unspiced) tomatoe sauce, FROZEN green peppers and CANNED (yes not fresh) mushrooms.
Here is a word for you Godfathers pizza lovers:
Employees are FORCED to tell you your pizza will be ready in ten minutes (Even if there are 30 two pie orders ahead of you). It's company undaunting phylosify!

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2005, 09:55:57 PM »
We have a Godfather's in my town.  I'm not sure why it's still here.  About ten years a go, I used to go there at least once a year.  This was to make sure I still hated it.  Around here, folks believe that they are getting their money's worth when the pizza kid makes them a nasty six pound belly-acher for ten bucks.  Whoa...

pizzapan