Author Topic: The Dom Video  (Read 4550 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: The Dom Video
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2007, 05:45:24 PM »
I just called Whole Foods here in Michigan and they do have them both. The Grana Padano is $16.99 a lb and the Parmigiano Reggiano is $17.99 a lb.

MWTC,

The last time I bought Parmigiano Reggiano from Whole Foods it came in small wedges wrapped in plastic wrap, not cut from a wheel. If the rim didn't have the PM marking, I would have had a hard time telling that it was the real thing. If they have a PM wheel, ask for a wedge from that.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 05:47:37 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline MWTC

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 01:23:33 PM »
Nice.   I like it.    It is a mild tasting addition.

Are there other types of Grana Padano? Like a softer version. In the video it appears to me that he is getting a longer stringy version than I just experienced. The type that I just tried from Whole Foods is a very dry and solid brick, comes off the grater very dry. Just wondering.

I will check my Costco next time I am there, maybe cheaper.

MWTC  :chef:

Peter,

Just like you said, plastic wrapped, the rim no doubt had the markings on it. I picked out that piece on purpose because it looked cool.  8)  A stamping saying "Grana Padano"
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 01:31:19 PM by MWTC »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2007, 01:41:07 PM »
MWTC,

Did the Parmigiano Reggiano also come wrapped in plastic wrap?

Peter

Offline MWTC

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2007, 06:43:31 PM »
Yes, the Parmigiano Reggiano comes in plastic wrap. They cut up a wheel and package it in plastic wrap and label it. It was $18.49 a pound, up 50 cents from when I called to ask about the two cheeses. The guy at the counter said it was 4 years old. I sampled a couple of his recommendations and they were also excellent.

MWTC  :chef:

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2007, 02:24:42 AM »
Are there other types of Grana Padano? Like a softer version.

I don't think so.. definitely a hard cheese and I believe the name grana refers to 'grain', as in the graininess of the texture.  I think it's just that whatever grinder he has cuts into it and creates little shreds of it instead of grating it fine (like how you can buy parm like this also).

- aba
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

pizzapan