Author Topic: Forum style change?  (Read 9615 times)

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
Re: Forum style change?
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 12:34:31 AM »
I think it's a bit easier/safer to use client side solutions
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 01:00:18 AM »
I think it's a bit easier/safer to use client side solutions

I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean.  This forum you're on right now is not a client-side application.  Could you please describe what is unsafe about going to unclesalmon.com?  I have had many trust the site enough to use the food tools located there.  No more information is being collected than what any web server on the Internet collects.  As far as easier goes, once it's setup you just click on a link.  If you can make it any easier with a fully client-side solution (part of this solution is already client-side), I'd like to know about it.

I am willing to provide code that will enable printing a single post on this forum, within this domain, but it will be up to Steve to give the green light.  I really just expected this to be an interim solution and would rather single-post printing be a native feature of the forum.

- red.november

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 02:49:06 AM »
every solution already mentioned was purely client side... with no modification to the user's browser and no 3rd party hits.

besides, your solution wouldn't really be ideal if it were hosted on this site anyway... if someone wanted to put code on this site, they can simply modify the current print view to accept a 'postid' param and fetch it from the db instead of the full thread.. no biggie.

- aba
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 02:51:34 AM by abatardi »
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 02:58:32 AM »
every solution already mentioned was purely client side... with no modification to the user's browser and no 3rd party hits.

You mentioned easier.  I'm still waiting for the easier client-side solution.  I'm also still waiting to find out what's unsafe about going to unclesalmon.com.

besides, your solution wouldn't really be ideal if it were hosted on this site anyway... if someone wanted to put code on this site, they can simply modify the current print view to accept a 'postid' param and fetch it from the db instead of the full thread.. no biggie.

What in the world are you talking about?  That is my solution for this domain.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 03:12:34 AM »
clicking "print selection"
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 03:15:27 AM »
clicking "print selection"

Only after you take the time to select the post, and only on certain platforms.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 03:16:20 AM »
you're right, much harder than modifying your browser's stylesheet, clicking a link, going to an external site, then printing that page.
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 03:27:19 AM »
Modifying your style sheet is a one time deal, so you can cut out the artificial procedural complexity right there.  Clicking on a link to an external site is pretty easy, and doesn't require any specific browser or operating system.

I honestly don't care if anyone decides to use it.  After all, bandwidth isn't free for me.  I just don't understand why you think it's such a big deal.  I saw that people wanted a convenient feature for printing a single post, and I provided the best that I thought was possible short of modifying the forum code.  Ideally the forum code should be modified, and we will have to wait to see if that's approved.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 03:29:37 AM »
or we could live here on earth and realize this whole argument and exercise in "extreme cross platform cross browser single post printing" is useless and pointless.
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

pizzapan