Author Topic: Forum style change?  (Read 9737 times)

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Forum style change?
« on: December 19, 2007, 07:58:20 PM »
With the holidays fast approaching, I'll have some time off from work and will be able to give the forum some much needed attention.

I was thinking about toning down the color scheme and nixing some of the "cutesy" graphics.

Opinions?

If you have any examples (of other sites), I'll be happy to take a look.

Also, I'm going to do away with membership levels. Either you're a member or not a member ("user")... it doesn't matter how much you choose to donate.

Steve
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
Re: Forum style change?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 08:18:44 PM »
Hey, Steve...

Just curious... what do you consider to be "cutesy graphics"?  I like the slice, upper right corner... it makes me want to go make a pizza right now!  Hope you aren't thinking of doing away with the smileys!?!?!  IMHO, they add some "body language" and "facial expressions" that help interpret what is being typed!

Also, I think it's a great idea to have just one membership level... I would love to donate more, because this site is such a wealth of information, but can't right now.  I personally think that any donation is good... no need to categorize us!

Any chance of allowing pics to be attached to PMs??  I think it would serve a useful purpose for those who choose to carry on conversations (or "disagreements") via PMs vs on the boards for everyone to read.

Just some thoughts... thanks SO much for this site!  As it stands, there's nothing like it out there for the novice pizza-maker!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline scottfsmith

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 06:59:50 PM »
Steve, I would spend your break relaxing in your hot tub - everything seems to be working fine here, and this forum software is better than most.  The one membership level idea does sound good though.

Overall, I spend most of my Internet free time reading forums, and this is the best overall, both in terms of how it runs and the quality of the posts.

Scott

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 09:14:10 AM »
Steve,  I agree with you about all the changes you have described.  The color scheme could be a little easier on the eyes. Otherwise the layout function and information are great.  I was thinking this morning that I often go back in posts and look at pictures of other peoples,  and real pizza places work,  to gauge my progress and gather ideas.  Sometimes whats lacking is the resolution.  I know that pictures do take a lot of storage space.  I guess what I am wondering is if there is a way to link a site like snapfish or something to hold a collection of our members' work.  Maybe at that point we could elect to provide a link in our posts if we do want to show a picture in our posts.  I know that we can all do this on an induvidual basis,  but the pictures would all be in different places.  There are sometimes when I think that I would like to look at all the photos posted by certain members,  and to do that would take a long time.  Just my thoughts,  I don't know what we can come up with as a group idea,  or if this makes sense to anyone but me.  While I'm here,  check the paypal,  and put me on the members list,  thanks for your effort.   -marc

Offline Villa Roma

• In search of the ever elusive leopard spots!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 09:47:11 AM »
They say pictures are worth a thousand words. It would be nice if there was an icon that showed whether a subject contained pictures. To me, talk is cheap, but pictures say it all. This would be an easy way to identify any post that contained graphics and skip the rest.

I guess it's like Penthouse magazine, when you get a new issue all you really want to do is look at the pictures first!  

Villa Roma
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 07:24:31 AM by Villa Roma »

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 03:37:45 AM »
 :-D
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline giotto

• Italy has DOC, we have NY standards.
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 11:35:58 PM »
Talk is anything but cheap on this site. It's how we re-engineer & learn & differentiate recipes from techniques.  Pics are key as well; but they are worthless without the words.  I'm extremely thankful for the many contributions as such, and I seriously think the layout of this site, which exhibits indexes, a tabular format and user id stats on a per page basis (where I can tell who's viewing a page that I'm updating, so I know if it's worth waiting around), completely blows away the weak in-line blogs out there.  Seriously great stuff!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 11:43:13 PM by giotto »

Offline TarHeelPizza

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 07:32:23 PM »
With the holidays fast approaching, I'll have some time off from work and will be able to give the forum some much needed attention.

I was thinking about toning down the color scheme and nixing some of the "cutesy" graphics.

Opinions?

If you have any examples (of other sites), I'll be happy to take a look.

Also, I'm going to do away with membership levels. Either you're a member or not a member ("user")... it doesn't matter how much you choose to donate.

Steve

As a fairly new member who visits a lot of sites and forums, I don't think there's anything wrong with the graphics.

As a side note.....   Maybe I just haven't learned how to get around the max image size restriction per post but I find that a little cumbersome.  Is there a way to link to a free hosting site that would allow me to post several photos in the same post?  When presenting a series of photos pretaining to one pizza bake, I think that would be useful.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 09:45:08 PM »
You can attach multiple images per post. Limit is 128kb per image and 8 images per post. To attach more than one photo, click on more attachments.

Bill/SFNM

Offline 12gauge

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 10:26:39 PM »
i'm new here so take this with a grain of salt.   But i think this board has way too many sub-forums, there just isnt enough traffic at this site to justify so many, in my opinion.    just to see whats up, i have to go to 20 different places, and that only covers a portion of it.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 10:31:58 PM »
12gauge,
When I want to see "what's up" I just click on "Show unread posts since last visit" at the almost-top left of any forum page... that way you don't have to surf the entire forum, you can just see what is newly posted...

HTH,
~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline 12gauge

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 10:46:58 PM »
yeah, i guess i should have said, when i'm browsing or researching.  sometimes i dont know what i'm looking for so i don't use the search or it didn't turn up what i wanted, so i just start looking around to learn stuff & it gets cumbersome clicking on so many sub-forums.   

not that big a deal, just thought i'd post some feedback from my 1st impression.

overall, love the knowledge base this site has, even if it is overwhelming
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 10:50:18 PM by 12gauge »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 08:50:26 AM »
12gauge,

Way back when, we had far fewer subcategories. However, that made finding things too difficult, and that is when we had far fewer members and far, far fewer posts to worry about. Because of feedback we received about difficulties in navigating the forum, one of the Moderators at the time, Randy, suggested that we break down the existing categories into several. That is when we came up with NY Style, Chicago style, Neapolitan style, etc. I think that was the single best idea we have ever had from an organizational standpoint, and I still feel that way today. It took several of us (Steve and the Moderators) several days to move threads and posts around into the new subcategories but I am glad we did it. The organizational format isn't perfect, and there is sometimes unavoidable overlap, and occasionally people will post in the wrong place, but I think it is better than most forums I have visited.

By nature of the forum it will always be a bit difficult, and maybe a lot difficult on occasion, to find what one is looking for. I use the search feature, and particularly the Advance search feature, to find things, although I know that a lot of people for one reason or another do not do that. Some people think that I am some sort of whiz because I am able to find things that were posted before. Part of it is remembering keywords that members used, but most of it is from using the Advance search feature, which I use several times a day. That doesn't always work for other members, especially new members who know very little about pizza and the terminology, so I am always happy to help people find things when they couldn't after using the search feature. Of course, I would prefer that they use the search features before posting their questions.

Peter

Offline joe

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 12:18:50 PM »
can changes be made to the print feature so that you may print out just one persons reply and not the whole string of replies associated on the subject. for instance, when someone post a recipe, i like to print just that out, but end up getting every reply along with the one i want to print. maybe i'm doing something wrong and you can already do something like this. i don't have a word program or i would just copy and paste to that to get what i want.

thanks,
joe c.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 01:37:07 PM »
i don't have a word program or i would just copy and paste to that to get what i want.
Joe,

If you are running Windows XP, you can:

1. Highlight all of the text you want to print out.
2. File>Print>Page Range: Selection
3. Print

This will print out only the highlighted text. I don't have Vista, but I assume it works similarly. Haven't figured out to do this in OSX.

Hope this helps.

Bill/SFNM

Offline joe

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 01:49:07 PM »
thanks bill. it works with vista also. that's gonna save a few trees :)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 01:53:43 PM »
What I have done in a pinch, especially when confronted with either a nonfunctioning or malfunctioning printer (someone else's), is to copy and paste the desired text material into an email and send the email to myself. I can then print it out at my leisure.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 02:02:19 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 01:56:43 PM »
you can't in tiger... not sure if leopard introduced it or not.

if you use safari you can highlight and hit Safari > Services > TextEdit > New Window containing selection, and then print that.
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 02:21:44 PM »
I've always been able to copy web text and paste it into other documents in OSX.

Michael
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 08:39:45 PM »
All,

If you are wanting the functionality of displaying just one post on a page, i.e. appropriate for printing, I have a solution if you don't mind spending a few minutes setting up your browser.  I am not going to explain how to setup a custom style sheet for your particular browser since there are so many tutorials out there already, but I promise you it's very easy.  At the end of this post I will link to some resources for creating a custom style sheet for your browser.

When you create or modify your custom (user) style sheet, add the following code:

.mirrortab_back:after {
   content: url("http://www.unclesalmon.com/tools/URL/save.php") !important;
}

If setup properly you will see a blue "U" icon next to the "PRINT" option (see attached image).  When you want to display only a single post, just click on the subject of the post and navigate over to: http://www.unclesalmon.com/tools/URL/message.php  It will always display the last message you looked at.  To know if you are looking at a specific message on the forum rather than the whole topic, verify that "msgxxxxx" is somewhere in the page's current URL.  It should look something like the following: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5942.msg52035.html#msg52035

Disclaimer: This is a free service I am providing to pizzamaking.com users (guests and members).  Only the last URL you looked at and an IP address (to tie your browser to the URL) is being stored on my server.  No other information is being gathered or stored.

For Mozilla/Firefox browsers see the following (or Google search for "userContent.css"):
http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/edit#content
http://blog.buro9.com/2005/07/25/firefox-usercontentcss/

For IE6 & IE7 see the following:
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/ie6/css.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/windowsvista/webstyle.aspx

For Safari (or above browsers) see the following:
http://unraveled.com/archives/2005/03/user-styles