Author Topic: Just curious why Ed Wood would change...  (Read 3374 times)

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
Just curious why Ed Wood would change...
« on: December 19, 2007, 09:23:40 PM »
Ed Wood now offers two "Italian" starters but no longer mentions the names: Ischia and Camaldoli.  Here's what the Italian starter blurb from his site says now:

"We searched for Italian cultures unsuccessfully for 15 years and suddenly have two, one which has been carefully guarded and is almost impossible to obtain. They are both from the Naples area, where the first pizza was made in the 1800's, and are among the best we have ever used, consistently producing fabulous breads that are flavorful and that can be quite sour. We were told when we received them that they were different, and we confirmed that difference.  We will keep the secret, and let you determine what it is when you use them.The two cultures are packaged together with Italian recipes and instructions. Now you can bake your own traditional pizzas, ciabattas and Italian country breads using authentic Italian cultures."

Anybody have any idea why he's changed?  Is he no longer offering the two he was before and so has removed the names?  Has anybody ordered them since the name change?

TIA for any insight...

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Just curious why Ed Wood would change...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 09:35:54 PM »
To the best of my recollection, the names of the cultures have only been revealed in the literature that comes with the cultures. None of the sales brochures I have mention the names.

Bill/SFNM

Offline mbusse

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:43:01 PM »
Ed Wood now offers two "Italian" starters but no longer mentions the names: Ischia and Camaldoli.  Here's what the Italian starter blurb from his site says now:

"We searched for Italian cultures unsuccessfully for 15 years and suddenly have two, one which has been carefully guarded and is almost impossible to obtain. They are both from the Naples area, where the first pizza was made in the 1800's, and are among the best we have ever used, consistently producing fabulous breads that are flavorful and that can be quite sour. We were told when we received them that they were different, and we confirmed that difference.  We will keep the secret, and let you determine what it is when you use them.The two cultures are packaged together with Italian recipes and instructions. Now you can bake your own traditional pizzas, ciabattas and Italian country breads using authentic Italian cultures."

Anybody have any idea why he's changed?  Is he no longer offering the two he was before and so has removed the names?  Has anybody ordered them since the name change?

TIA for any insight...

~sd

SDG, they are in fact the 2 cultures you point out. I ordered about 6 weeks ago and there was no name listed for the cultures, but I did in fact receive the 2 you mention.

Mark

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 11:15:08 PM »
To the best of my recollection, the names of the cultures have only been revealed in the literature that comes with the cultures. None of the sales brochures I have mention the names.

Bill/SFNM
SD Girl, Yes to what Bill said. I ordered mine over a year ago and the names were not mentioned on the site only on the lierature that came with them.
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Jamie

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 03:16:47 AM »
I just got mine about a month ago and they are what you mentioned above.

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 08:46:14 AM »
Good Morning To All;
Does anyone have the website address available that will let us order these starters?  Thanks much... ;D
Buffalo

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 08:54:46 AM »

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 01:20:09 PM »
Thanks for all the responses... meant to respond earlier but got busy with Christmas candy/cookie making, shopping/wrapping... you know the drill!

Guess I must be mis-remembering, which happens when you keep having birthdays!  I ordered the Bahrain from Ed several years ago and "THOUGHT" the names of the two Italian cultures were listed on the site...  instead, it must be that the names have been mentioned here on this site in connection with Ed's site. 

It's hell to get old, ain't it?  But the alternative is worse!   ;)   :-D

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!