Author Topic: Thin crust pizza  (Read 4993 times)

Bryan

Thin crust pizza
« on: October 18, 2004, 08:27:33 AM »
Great site!  I used your recipe for thin crust pizza dough to make the pie shown in the attached photos. I ordered perforated cutter pans, the heavy rolling pin, and a dough docker from Lloyd's pans as suggested on your site.

This is a 14" pie pictured on a 15" baking stone. I used my own pizza sauce recipe.  For the cheese, I used grated domestic provolone and mozzarella bought from a neighborhood supermarket.  The flour is La Romanella high gluten flour ($5.19 for a 25 lb. bag at Smart & Final).  This pie has pepperoni, canadian bacon, sliced mild Italian sausage, sliced mushrooms, and diced green bell pepper as toppings.  The crust had a nice snap to it, was thin, dry, and crackery.

The pie was baked in an apartment sized Hotpoint gas oven set to 500 F (though my K-Mart Martha Stewart brand oven thermometer placed the temperature in excess of 550 F).  Cooking time was about 5 minutes.   Dough was mixed in an Electrolux  Magic Mill stand mixer using the dough hook attachment.

I live in California and have had Round Table and Straw Hat pizza on many occasions.  This was every bit as good as their pizza. (I think Round Table's sauce is too spicy, though)

Bryan

Re:Thin crust pizza
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 08:28:01 AM »
Another shot

Bryan

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 08:28:26 AM »
And another

Offline Foccaciaman

• ou812
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 09:36:42 AM »
Very nice. ;D
Ahhh, Pizza The Fifth Food Group

stock

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 11:30:11 PM »
that pizza is making me want to buy a cutter pan. :)
-scott

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 09:24:44 AM »
Bryan, which recipe did you use?  Great looking pizza.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 01:03:08 PM »
Very nice.  I think it better then any of the ones I made this weekend (pictures of the 3rd one to come later)
I'm on too many of these boards

bryan

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 08:13:42 AM »
Bryan, which recipe did you use?  Great looking pizza.

Randy

I used the exact recipe on the thin crust page on this site.  The dough was dry.  Very dry.  So dry it took about  an extra two teaspoons of water and lots of kneading just to make the initial dough ball.  Even after a 2 day slow rise in the fridge, rolling the dough was a massive chore.  It may have been like that because I lightly packed the flour into the measuring cups.  I was very pleased with the results, though.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2004, 08:17:16 AM »
I used the exact recipe on the thin crust page on this site.  The dough was dry.  Very dry.  So dry it took about  an extra two teaspoons of water and lots of kneading just to make the initial dough ball.  Even after a 2 day slow rise in the fridge, rolling the dough was a massive chore.  It may have been like that because I lightly packed the flour into the measuring cups.  I was very pleased with the results, though.

How nice would it be to have a commercial dough sheeter?  ;)
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

pizzapan