Author Topic: Deep Dish Success  (Read 5034 times)

Offline TronCarter

Deep Dish Success
« on: December 23, 2007, 02:35:07 PM »
I was fairly successful at my attempts at American Style pizza, so I thought I would try my hand at a PH pan style.  I used the recipe on the main page, although it does lack a few details.

I followed the recipe as listed and let it run in my KA for 10 minutes.  Even my Pro 600 was working up some heat since this dough is pretty thick.  I then rolled it out on a lightly floured counter top until it was about 14".  I put a little more than 1/2 cup of vegetable oil in the pan since it is 16" vs. the 14" pan talked about in the recipe.  My ADY is past it's date so I was a little skeptical as to whether this would work or not.  Because of this I used some Pillsbury bread flour, instead of the more expensive King Arthur, that way if it failed I would be out slightly less money and maybe not feel as bad about it.  The recipe didn't specify a water temp and I used cold, filtered water.  This was a mistake, I should have used 90-100F water.  It sat in the pan for about two hours and didn't do any rising and I was again skeptical, so I warmed the oven for 2-3 minutes and shut it off.  There was just enough heat inside to be warm, so I put the pan in there for the next hour or two.  I checked it and it had risen to almost 1.5" tall.  At this point I was a little more confident and put it in the fridge overnight.  I took it out this morning about two hours before its planned use and found that it had shrunk quite a bit and developed a bit of skin on the top.  I was back to being skeptical again.  After an hour it hadn't really risen again or anything, so I did the warm oven trick again.  It again filled the pan and I was back to being confident.   I added some more spice to the remainder of SD Girl's recipe (yesterday) and took it out of the fridge with the dough this morning.   This time I used Kraft part skim mozzarella, Hormel pepperoni, green olives and hot banana peppers.  I baked it at 550 for about 18 minutes, checking the bottom after about 13-14 mintues.  The top ended up done just the way I like it, but the bottom was just a touch too light, but still great.  I didn't use a stone like recommended in the recipe, just put it on the middle rack.  Maybe a lower rack or the stone would have helped.  It was cooked all the way through and delicious.  I think it would have fooled anyone that didn't know it wasn't PH.  My best pizza to date.

Tron

Offline jordanzimmerman

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Deep Dish Success
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 04:07:38 PM »
Any pics of a slice? I'd love to see the bread structure.
Jordan Zimmerman
http://www.shop.com

Offline Bryan S

Re: Deep Dish Success
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 01:11:16 AM »
Tron, Nice looking Pizza. I would have liked to see a pic of a slice also, it's nice to see what the crumb looks like.
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.