Author Topic: Help with Sourdo Cultures  (Read 4149 times)

Offline dikemiya

Help with Sourdo Cultures
« on: March 17, 2008, 02:18:30 AM »
Hello, i got my Italian starters from Sourdo and got to the 2nd step.  Ive read alot of the post in this section of the forums, i guess im overwhelmed reading what everyone did.  If i seem like i didn't get the answer from reading the appropriate post, I apologize. :)

I did the initial 24hour activating in a box with a lamp in 80F+ temps.  Then I fed the culture with 1 cup flour and 3/4 cup of water. does the culture look like it needs more feeding? From what i read, i dont have any hooch in the middle or bottom.  So i dont think i need any "washings"

It says it has too look foamy and expand, how did yours look?

Also i followed the instruction in the book about transfering half of the starter into another jar, because it started to get full. 

any help is appreciated, thanks

Davis

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Help with Sourdo Cultures
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 07:08:45 AM »
I would keep feeding at 12-hour intervals until you are certain the cultures are fully activated: strong expansion, no hooch under the surface, pleasant aroma. For future reference, I would not have activated more than culture simultaneously. Now is when they are most vulnerable to contamination.

Offline dikemiya

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 08:29:04 PM »
The Ischia cultures are looking right.  So i guess that will go in the refrigerators.  isn't one enough.  The instructions said to keep 2 just in case one goes bad or the original one gets too full.

The Camaldoli cultures seem to be taking longer, so i guess ill feed it again.  But it is starting to bubble up, just not the 2inches the book said i should expect...

the middle pic is the Ischia.

Thanks for the help Bill/SFNM!

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 08:34:36 PM by dikemiya »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 09:13:48 PM »
The instructions said to keep 2 just in case one goes bad or the original one gets too full.

I meant that activating both the Camadoli and Ischia at the same time introduces the possibility of one culture contaminating the other. 

Offline dikemiya

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
ooh.. i didnt know that.  Ed Wood should have mentioned that in the book....

Offline Tiramisu

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 09:35:57 PM »
Hello,

I just started activating my sourdo.com Ischia Island starter 48 hours ago.  I had quite a bit of foaming after the first 24 hours but after my first feeding at 24 hours, second at 36, and now the third at 48 hours it has done nothing.  It has a small layer of hooch similar to yours at the top but not much foam.  It smells rather sour but nothing rank enough to make me think it has contamination.  I am using my oven light for heat cracked open with a pencil.  Using my Raytek probe I have confirmed the temp to be 89 or so.  I hope nothing has gone wrong but I am getting worried.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 10:31:16 PM »
It sounds like nothing to worry about.  If you keep feeding all will be fine.  As long as that hooch is on the top you are in good shape, and even if it moves down you can still save it.  The fact that you had bubbles and now they are slowing could mean that things are getting a bit acidic, and that would make sense with the temp you have.  I would crack the door a bit more and feed a little more frequently than you have been told to by the instructions, but that's just me.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 01:49:31 AM by scott r »

Offline Tiramisu

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 12:08:03 AM »
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply.  I cracked it open a bit more and it dropped the temp down to 83 or so.  I will try to feed it every 6-8 hours.  I will let you know of progress.

Thanks

Offline Tiramisu

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 10:54:03 PM »
Hello,

Well another 24 hours has gone by with 3 more feedings.  I have no layer of hooch after 3 days.  It has foam and bubbles at the top but nothing too big.  I have to make dough tonight for the weekend pizza night.  Is this usable or should I wait?

Thanks

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 11:10:10 PM »
Tiramisu,

Did you contact Ed Wood? Send him an email. He is pretty fast responding and will be able to help you out.

I did not activate the Ischia, only the Camaldoli since I have another starter already in use. It was contaminated after the first feeding and I split the batch into 2 containers. I fed one of them and washed the other one several times. The washed batch never healed and I gave up and tossed it. The other half healed itself within 2 feedings and the smell is intoxicating. Baked a Pane Cafone from Ed Wood's instruction book and was blown away on how much it rose in the oven. Tasted great.

I would not use it yet, unless it smells like something you would want to eat or drink.

Keep at it as it is worth the struggle compared to IDY, ADY and other forms of bakers yeasts.

Offline Tiramisu

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 01:11:54 AM »
Hello,

No I have not contacted Ed but I will and see what he says.  I decided to hold off on using it so I fed them again and will continue on.

Thanks

Offline Tiramisu

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 12:01:59 PM »
Success!  I had full expansion to the top of the lid (had the starter in a quart Ball jar half full).  I quickly made up a batch of dough then fed the culture again.  Ed said to drop the temp to 70-75 degrees.  I will report my first pizzas with the starter tomorrow night.  Thanks for everybody's help.

M

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 03:57:42 PM »
My previously washed and decontaminated Camaldoli starter appears to be contaminated again. Hooch at the bottom. Starting to wash it again.

My question is - a batch of dough I made several days ago with it sits in the refrigerator. Is it safe to use or just toss it out?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 04:32:18 PM »
I don't think you should use the dough.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 04:36:15 PM »
The Deli Manager credo:

"When in doubt, throw it out."

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 04:42:23 PM »
Thanks SD & scottr: I was 99.9% sure I was going to toss it. In fact right after my post I dumped it. With my luck I was figuring someone would say it adds a second subtle flavor to your pizza and go for it. LOL

My other starter is the cheap Goldrush starter which to date has worked fine with no contamination and gives a slightly sour taste to the crust.

Back to washing.