Author Topic: Pizza by the slice in New York & Brooklyn  (Read 1921 times)

Offline IlliniPizza

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza by the slice in New York & Brooklyn
« on: October 18, 2007, 04:53:29 PM »
Pizza by the slice in New York & Brooklyn

I am visiting New York for 4 days at the end of October.  I have a list of pizzerias I would like to visit.  I am interested in knowing which places sell by the slice, and if its only during lunch hours or all day.  I have been to Grimaldi's before.  Here's my list.  Feel free to list any I have forgotten.  I am no necessarily interested in quality as in history.  i.e. Ray's pizza.

DiFarra's
Lombardi's - Spring
Demarco's
Luzzos
Totonno's - Neptune ave.
John's on Bleeker
Rays on Prince
Spumoni's
Patsy's - Harlem
Nick's

Please feel free to list any by the slice places I have forgotten

Thanks

Jarett

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Pizza by the slice in New York & Brooklyn
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 07:43:26 PM »
Totonno's will not sell you slices.

You can get slices at Difara's, but if there aren't any made at the time you arrive you might have to wait a good deal of time to get some.  I recommend the square slices at Difara's.

Mike

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 12:00:38 AM »
from your list the only by the slice places are

Difara's
Demarco's
Rays
L&B soumoni gardens
Patsy's

I would add Joe's in the village to the list of slice places to try.

Also, make sure you go the patsy's in Harlem, the others don't offer slices and the pizza is different.  They use a very sweet sauce, thicker crust, slower oven, but better cheese and toppings....especially the pepperoni.  For me it's all about the crust and sauce so I stick to the Harlem location.

If you are willing to get a small individual sized pizza I would head over to Franny's, Luzzo's, or Una Pizza Napoletana.  The small pizzas are individual servings and very thin, about the size of two regular sized slices and the pizza should be better than all the above slice joints. Isabellas oven may be the best of the bunch, but unfortunately they have not proven to be consistent enough for me to fully recommend yet.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 12:02:46 AM by scott r »

Offline The Pontificator

• Angry Samoan
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2007, 05:57:15 AM »
Go to Totonno's anyway. You'll love it.
"I hope you choke on a biscotti!"

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2007, 09:06:16 AM »
from your list the only by the slice places are

Difara's
Demarco's
Rays
L&B soumoni gardens
Patsy's

I would add Joe's in the village to the list of slice places to try.

Just to be clear, DeMarcos is closed.  I was there in September and walked by, and the place was gutted.  Confirmed it on sliceny.com.

Also, to be honest, and speaking as someone who lived a block away from Joe's and grew up hanging out there with my buddies, I can tell you that Joe's in its location on the 6th Avenue corner is nothing at all like what it used to be.  When Giuseppe was making the pizzas, back in the old days, in the now-closed Bleecker St. location, it was heavenly stuff, and that's when Joe's "made its reputation."

Now, however, Guiseppe is long gone, and the pizza there is what I'd call average, maybe slightly above average on a good day.  Absolutely nothing special.  I've been home enough to know (I do wind up having at least one slice at Joe's when I go home, if for no other reason than their proximity to my old place, and the fact that they're open early and late in the day).  Its continued relatively high Zagat ratings and continued recommendations from people are largely based on its inherited reputation from years ago.

If you do decide to go try them out, do yourself a favour and walk a block or two northeast and go try Ben's Pizza on MacDougal and W. 3rd Street, past the McDonalds.  Once Joe's went downhill years ago, Ben's became my personal local favourite pizza, and it's still really great-tasting in my opinion.  Lightyears better than Joe's IMHO.

You could also try Pizza Box, just about three blocks eastward on Bleecker St., and not just because I'm friendly with the owner there, Julio.  My wife practically forced me to live there on our last trip...I've always liked their slices, but she loved them.

The only other really well-known pizzeria in the area is Bleecker St. Pizza, on 7th Avenue in the other direction...I tried it recently on one of my trips home, and didn't think all that much of it, but you might as well try it too if you're on a Greenwich Village Pizza tour ;)

EDIT: I didn't see the bit in the OP's post about being more interested in history than quality.  If that's the case, Joe's should probably be on your list, although the Joe's that closed would've been a much more historical place to visit than the current location, which has only been open about ten years.  Ironically enough, the new location inhabits what used to be "Golden Pizza" pizzeria, which was my *other* favourite pizza growing up!  I used to split my days and nights between Golden Pizza and Joe's on Bleecker....never could make up my mind which was better.

And even though you're interested in slices, if you really want pizza history, you owe it to yourself to go to Lombardi's, and check out the coal oven if you can.  Regardless of the pizza, which cannot be ordered by the slice and also seems to have slipped a tad in the last few years, a historical tour shouldn't miss the first pizzeria in the USA! :)

--Dave
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 09:18:14 AM by canadave »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 06:49:17 PM »
Joes was closed  (not sure for how long? ) as of last week for renovations.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

pizzapan