Author Topic: Kitchen-Aid Professional 600  (Read 2255 times)

Offline dan f.

Kitchen-Aid Professional 600
« on: December 27, 2007, 06:28:02 PM »
I got the top-of-the-line Kitchen-Aid Professional 600 as a holiday gift.  ;DThis promises to be a huge upheaval in my pizza-making world since hitherto I was using Pete-zza's hand-mixer method & felt like I was getting good results. The advent of Kitchen-Aid is kind of like going from a horse and buggy to a Lexus overnight.

The mixer comes with a spiral hook; no C hook in sight. I've read the instructions & plan to do a lot of testing before I actually make dough. I've looked over the postings on the spiral hook and all things Kitchen-Aid. Does anyone have any advice on not-so-obvious things to do, or things to avoid, in using a mixer of this caliber? It's a little daunting, to say the least,  :-[but I feel confident I can take my pizza to a new level. (I typically make N.Y. style pizza w/ modest amount of yeast, say 1/4 teaspoon per 2 1/2-2 3/4 cups flour -- usual Gold Medal Harvest King or King Arthur bread.)

Thanks in advance for your help and reassurance.

Offline Bryan S

Re: Kitchen-Aid Professional 600
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 08:30:08 PM »
Dan, Congrats on the mixer, I've had my Pro 600 for 2.5 years now and love it. It can handle 40-44 oz of pizza dough no problem. I always make 2 20 oz dough balls for my NY style, and 2 22 oz for my pan pizzas no sweat. Happy mixing.  :pizza:
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 11:52:50 PM »
I would not recommend 5# of dough.  I tried this tonight on my Pro 5 Plus and it shut down.  Thankfully it worked again after a few minutes.  I am trying to figure out what the maximum safe number is.  Maybe 3#.  That is total (all ingredients).
Patrick

Offline dan f.

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 07:34:02 PM »
This mixer is incredible.  ;D More accurately, any stand mixer beats the heck out using a hand mixer (as I'd been doing). Great to see the spiral whipping the dough around, side to side. Dough had that supple coherence, the kind I'd seen in NY pizza places where the pizzaiolas slap it around, twirl it in the air and lay it on the paddle perfectly round. (Mine weren't THAT good, but I felt as though I'd made a quantum leap in production technique.)

My only thought was that the autolyse period (10-15 minutes rest after mixing just flour, water) didn't seem to make as big a difference as with the hand mixer. In fact, I think I got a better result from dough mixed all together & prepared later the same day (i.e. without overnight refrigeration, as with first batch where I did autolyse & stored overnight for cold fermentation.)

Will keep experimenting but so far, so good.

Offline dms

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
I would not recommend 5# of dough.  I tried this tonight on my Pro 5 Plus and it shut down.  Thankfully it worked again after a few minutes.  I am trying to figure out what the maximum safe number is.  Maybe 3#.  That is total (all ingredients).

Don't tell my K45 that!  I do five pounds of dough in it all the time.  I guess they have gotten much cheaper over the years. 

pizzapan