Author Topic: First Chicago style - success!  (Read 1842 times)

Offline yaddayaddayadda

• I Love Pizza!
First Chicago style - success!
« on: January 02, 2008, 07:06:42 AM »
Let me preface this by saying I'm either getting dang good at this pizza making stuff, or this forum is so good and so filled with knowledge that pizza making has almost become idiot proof  ;)

I got a 14" deep dish pan from Santa, so last night was my inaugural dive into the chicago style pizza pool.

I used the formulation from Pete below:
Dough Formulation for 14-inch Deep-Dish Dough
100%, Flour, 15.63 oz. (443.12 g.)
59.6%, Water, 9.32 oz. (264.10 g.)
14.36%, Oil, 2.24 oz. (63.63 g.), a bit over 4 1/2 T.
1.5%, Salt, 0.23 oz. (6.65 g.), a bit less than 1 1/4 t. (Note: salt is omitted in the original DKM recipe)
0.97%, Active dry yeast (ADY), 0.15 oz. (4.30 g.), a bit over 1 1/8 t.
Total dough weight = 27.58 oz. (781.80 g.)
Thickness factor = 0.132
Note: All measurements are standard U.S./metric

I kept the salt, and used corn oil.

I used the techniques outlined in Devin's recipe as well:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/dkm_chicago.php

Couple of issues - First, I added the oil after the dough had come together....seemed to be a disaster at first, I had a greasy slimy dough ball sliding around my KA mixer bowl.  I remedied this by taking the dough ball out of the KA and hand kneading the dough...that incorporated the oil much better.

The cheese was 1 lb of boar's head mozz.
The sausage was 1 lb. of sweet italian sausage bought from a local (real!) butcher shop.  They make it in house.
Sauce was 1 can of crushed WalMart great value tomatoes, with about a tsp of oregano, a clove of crushed garlic, and a tsp of EVOO whisked in.

The dough was hard to get to stay up the sides of the pan. I'm sure that's partially my inexperience.

I put the sausage in raw, it seemed a tad pink even after the 25 minute bake...is that normal? Obviously since I had no adverse affects, I'm not too worried about it.

No pics, but dayum was it a tasty pie.  Thanks again to all in this forum.

My biggest mistake was going for that 2nd piece! really put a hurtin on me  :-D

Offline BTB

Re: First Chicago style - success!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 09:51:19 AM »
Good to hear about your success.  Your pizzamaking experience will only get better, pizza after pizza.

A couple of thoughts FWIW:  Your water or hydration % seems high, at least to me.  For my deep dish pizzas, I like to have it around 45%, but no higher than 50%.  I think that is what Devin had done with one of his most recent formulations (i.e. 50%).  With lower hydration, I pinch the sides of the dough in the pan real hard, which makes for a nice thin, crisp crust rim that stays up well while dressing and baking the pizza.  A wet dough will often fall a lot on the sides of the pan and will be difficult to hold up.

For my deep dish pizzas only, I always put the sausage on raw and never had it turn out even a little pink.  Maybe it was your oven or baking time or other.  Am not sure.  Since the sausage is under the sauce, it often doesn't give a deeper brown appearance, unless you put it over the sauce.  (I prefer it under the sauce like most of the great Chicago deep dish pizzerias.)

Good to find and use the sausages from local butchers and deli's.  I do, too.  I avoid EVOO, like many others, as it sometimes has too strong an OO taste.  Prefer just regular OO, or even the "light" OO.  Boars Head products are great (but unfortunately a little expensive).  Suggest you try a little Penzey pizza spices (usually have to order over the internet unless a store in your city), and add a dash of honey into your sauce.  It's really good.  I think over time, you may want to experiment with increasing the amount of oil in the dough.  I think one of loowater's formulations call for around 19% corn oil and 4% regular olive oil. 

Good luck with you future pizzas and continue to enjoy that second slice.

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 09:58:26 AM »
My biggest mistake was going for that 2nd piece! really put a hurtin on me  :-D

2nd piece???  When you're eyeing up your fourth piece then we'll talk.  :)  Yeah, I'm chubby.

In regards to your sliding...what BTB said should help.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline Mazz

• 186 miles SSW from Ginos East, Downtown Chicago
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 11:10:32 PM »
I put the hydration on my crust at 49%, add the oil first to the dry ingredients, mix in KitchenAid on STIR for about 30 seconds, then add the warm water slowly and continue on STIR to the two minute mark.  Shut it off, and cover the bowl, put in the oven with the light on for about two hours, then bag and refrigerate for 24 hours.

When it comes to baking, it's the bottom shelf in a 450 degree oven for 13 minutes, then rotate 180 degrees, and go another 12 minutes.  The sausage patty lies directly beneath the tomatoes, and has always cooked completely.  Average thickness on the sausage is about 1/8".

Sounds like you are well on your way though.  Gotta love it!

pizzapan