Author Topic: Cheese on top?  (Read 1555 times)

Offline holdem

• I Love Pizza!
Cheese on top?
« on: February 14, 2008, 09:27:42 PM »
Anyone put the cheese on top? Wondering if the crust would get soggy. Or the cheese may burn.

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
Re: Cheese on top?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 07:12:47 AM »
What this becomes is more along the lines of a pan pizza although pan pizza dough doesn't have the high oil content that deep dish does.  I've tried doing this with a BBQ pizza made with my Malnati's clone crust.  Because of the high sugar content of the BBQ sauce I didn't want it on top for fear of the sauce becoming gummy.  It turned out OK because the toppings were pre-cooked (pepperoni and bacon...hey, it's a hickory smoked delight!) but I would've liked the crust to be a little darker.  I don't think if raw sausage were used it would cook through before the cheese becomes really brown and would need to come out of the oven.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 07:15:59 AM by loowaters »
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline BTB

Re: Cheese on top?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 09:43:42 AM »
In just considering two types of Chicago Style pizzas, (1) deep dish (not stuffed) and (2) Chicago's famous thin crust styles (e.g. Vito and Nick's, Home Run Inn, Aurelio's, Marie's, etc.), the general rule IMO is that the cheese is placed first on the pizza crust on deep dish pizzas before the sauce, and with thin crust pizzas, it is the opposite with the sauce put on first and then the cheese with other toppings sometimes put under or over the cheese.  This has been the "general rule" that I've found to be the case all over the U.S., not just in Chicago BTW.  But, it's OK to vary that if the result is to one's liking.  That's no problem, just experiment and see what you like.  Either way can work very well.

If you get a soggy crust, which I rarely do with either style, there are things you can do to counter that.  Like pre-baking the crust or pre-baking the crust with a little oil basted over the crust, etc., etc.  A soggy crust usually results from something else, however, like too low of an oven temperature, not placing the pizza on the proper (lowest) rack in the oven, the quality of the pizza formulation (recipe) that you're using, too watery a sauce or type of cheese (I found this to be a common source of a "soggy" problem), not using the proper pan, stone, screen, or whatnot, etc, etc.  It's usually not if the cheese or sauce comes on first, however.  If you bake your pizza on a high home oven rack, chances are your cheese will burn long before the crust is adequately baked.  Most start baking their home made pizzas on the lowest rack (or next lowest if heating elements are seen) and then put up on a higher rack at the end of the cooking cycle to brown the cheese a bit.  Only practice will determine what's best for you.

I don't know if this gets at what you were talking about.  If not, please reply and let us know.

pizzapan