Author Topic: How do I prep potatoes for topping?  (Read 4714 times)

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
How do I prep potatoes for topping?
« on: January 02, 2008, 11:52:38 AM »
I'm doing a couple pies tonight and would like to try the potato thing. They're redskins and I bake at 550 for about 7 minutes. Suggestions/advice??  :-\ :-\ :-\  art
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: How do I prep potatoes for topping?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 01:00:51 PM »
Art,

Are you thinking about using the potatoes in the form of slices on the pizza or in the form of mashed potatoes?  When I last used potatoes on a pizza, I used the small red "new" potatoes. I sliced them into 1/8"-thick slices, and combined them with olive oil, Kosher salt, minced fresh garlic, chopped fresh oregano leaves, chopped fresh rosemary, and ground white pepper. The potato slices were then baked for about 45 minutes in a 325-degree F oven, occasionally turning them to get proper browning. The pizza itself was a "Rosemary Chicken and Potato Pizza" using a recipe from the California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook. It is quite a good pizza.

Peter

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 01:26:36 PM »
Thanks, Peter. That sounds like what I had in mind. The redskin taters are pretty much the same as the "new" type. Did the pie you made use tomato sauce?  art

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 02:30:09 PM »
Art,

No, I did not use a tomato-based sauce. I did a search for the recipe I used and it is the one described here: http://www.recipesource.com/main-dishes/pizza/rosemary-chicken-potato1.html. As you can see, it would take a really motivated person to go through all the effort--and expense--to make the CPKI pizza.

Peter

Offline pkasten

• Pizzas of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 06:17:08 PM »
A few potato ideas:

Grilled potato slices work great simply brushed with some olive oil and seasoned. 

Sliced potatoes poached in heavily seasoned water or stock work well too. 

Potato or sweet potato purees make fun "sauces."

I've also enjoyed crumbled potatoes caramelized in butter or oil. 

paul

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 01:44:13 AM »
On a breakfast pie (bechamel sauce, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs with chives, american cheese and hash browns). I shreded the taters on a cheese grater, seasoned with salt and pepper, then fried them in olive oil and butter combo 50/50 till brown and crispy. I took this pie to work and my crew loved it. Fresh potatoes must be pre cooked before going on a pie for shuch a short time, IMO.
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline loch

• I love pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 11:47:52 AM »
Check this link to The Fresh Loaf, it describes w pics Sullivan Street Potato Pizza from Maggie Glezer's "Artisan Baking".  Pretty interesting very wet dough.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/5285/sullivan-street-potato-pizza

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but saw Mark Decarlo visit them on "Taste of America", looked really good.
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 02:14:59 AM »
Check this link to The Fresh Loaf, it describes w pics Sullivan Street Potato Pizza from Maggie Glezer's "Artisan Baking".  Pretty interesting very wet dough.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/5285/sullivan-street-potato-pizza

I haven't had a chance to try it yet but saw Mark Decarlo visit them on "Taste of America", looked really good.

That pizza looks fantastic. I don't have that book from her, I have "A Blessing of Bread" which is a really good book. I'll have to pick up "Artisan Baking" thanks for posting.
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 08:30:51 AM »
Bryan,

Marco (pizzanapoletana) posted some beautiful photos of a pizza in teglia (Sicilian) at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1690.msg15205.html#msg15205. If you look at the photo tags for the last two photos, you will see that the topping is "patate"--potatoes. The second photo is zucchini. You may have to track down the recipe or use another one in the same thread if you are interested in that style.

Peter

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 10:22:45 AM »
Thanks for all the input. I decided to hold off until my next pizzas to do the tater thing. Rather than use them as an "afterthought", I think more careful prep is needed to give all my critics a "gourmet" version of potatoes as a topping. So far, the idea has been met with skepticism. I hope to prove them wrong. Once again, thanks; you guys are the best.   art

Offline Art

• la pizza la mia vita!!
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 08:21:15 AM »
Last night I finally tried the potato thing on one of four 12" pizzas I made for family. It was a big hit and, for sure, will be served again. I used Red Bliss potatoes sliced very thin on a mandolin and blanched for about 2 minutes. I drained them and dried well between paper towels. The sauceless pie was simply mozz, the potatoes with some garlic salt, and generous amounts of grated parm and pecorino romano. For anyone who makes white pizzas, I highly recommend taters as a topping. Again, thanks for the suggestions. Art

Offline zalicious

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 12:13:30 PM »
One of our local pizza places does a potato pizza with bacon, & uses cheddar in he cheese mix. It's quite yummy. Here's my take on it. I didn't have any bacon, (& I was in a rush to try the potato thing ) so I used pepperoni instead, & added olives.

pizzapan