Author Topic: No Need To Knead  (Read 1308 times)

Offline GMoody

No Need To Knead
« on: January 05, 2008, 08:55:42 PM »
Here is my quick way to make pizza dough.

In a bowl combine 2 3/4 cups of lukewarm water, 1 1/2 Tbs granulated yeast, 1 1/2 Tbs Salt, 1 Tbs of Sugar, 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil and 6 1/2 cups of Caputo Flour

Mix in flour without kneading using a spoon and make sure there are no flour patches and the sides of the bowl are clean.

Cover and it doesn't have to be an airtight cover let the dough rest at room temp until dough rises and collapses or flattens on top approximately 2 hours.

This dough can be used right after the initial rise but it's easier to handle when refrigerated.

Refrigerate in a lidded container the dough can be used over the next 12 days.

The pizza my daughter is holding in the photo was created using the above method with a Maytag gas convection oven with a temp of 550F and pizza stone placed on the lowest rack it was done in 10 min.
It was fantastic I surprised myself I couldn't believe that i actually made it.
I think i'm the only African American guy in the Bronx or NYC who is making pizza like this.

The Ingredients:
Cento Crushed Tomatoes
Fresh Mozzarella from Joe's Italian Deli on Arthur Ave in the Bronx
Hormel Sliced Pepperoni
Fresh Oregano
Fresh Basil
Coarse Sea Salt

Has anyone made pizza dough using this method? It was great!!!!

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: No Need To Knead
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 09:11:04 PM »
wow, this is a really interesting topic.  I hope it gets lots of "reads" , the pizza speaks for itself,
do you have any images of the pizza ( closer up ) ?

The pizza looks very amazing, like something coming from a pizza parlour, - I'm really impressed !

thanks for sharing.
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 09:42:09 PM »
GMoody,

What you did seems to be quite close to the dough making method discussed in this recent thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5978.msg51214.html#msg51214. You used a different flour (Caputo Extra Blu) and added sugar and oil, which are common additions for Caputo doughs for home oven use, but the overall methods are quite similar to what is discussed in the above thread. Your hydration (I estimate that it is around 73%) is less than what is described in the above thread, but that would not be considered unusual since you are using 00 flour rather than all-purpose flour that has higher absorption characteristics than the 00 flour. As can be seen in the YouTube video linked in the above thread, the dough discussed by the book's authors in that video can be used to make pizza. I suspect that the book on this no-knead method describes many variations on the theme.

What kind of yeast are you using (e.g., ADY or IDY), and what kind of salt (table salt or Kosher) are you using?

Your daughter is adorable, and no doubt is a big fan of your pizza.

Peter

Offline GMoody

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 10:38:23 PM »
I used Fleischmans packet yeast and coarse sea salt

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 11:22:53 PM »
I must say that the pizza looks horrible.......next to that beautiful little girl of yours. If you want an objective opinion of the pizza you'll have to try not to put it in the same picture with someone so cute, very distracting. Really though, great looking pie and daughter.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 01:37:17 AM »
Yeah GMoody, your girl steals the show. Pizza looks good but.........  ;D
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.