Author Topic: My First Cracker Style Attempt  (Read 2677 times)

Offline dokpm0

• Raw Fed Dogs
My First Cracker Style Attempt
« on: January 07, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »
A couple of days ago I posted an intro in the newbie forum.  I took a stab at a cracker style crust this past weekend.  As first attempts go it wasn't too bad, but there is room for improvement.

I used the the recpie at www dot pizzamaking dot com slash thincrust dot php as a starting point, with King Arthur bread flour.  It seemed to the best choice of available flours at my local H.E.B.  First, I don't think I got the dough quite thin enough.  I only had a small rolling pin, the type home cooks would use to for pie crusts, to work with.  The restaurant supply I picked up a cutter pan and dough docker at had a selection of large rolling pins at pretty reasonable prices, so I'll probably add one of those to my collection in the near future.  Anyway, after baking, the pie came out looking picture perfect, until I cut into it.  The crust was slightly crisp, but also rather chewy.  But, for a first attempt it was at least edible.  I know I definitely need to get the crust thinner.  Also, my scale/technique might have been part of the problem.  It was a spring-style scale I used, which I'm sure is inaccorate.  And, I only weighed the flour.  I measured the other ingredients by volume.  For future attempts I plan to get a digital scale and weigh everything.  I've found the "Pete-zza Does DKM Cracker Style" thread and also the thread detailing making a proofer box out of a styrofoam cooler.  I'm anxious to try some of the ideas found in those threads!!!!
Kevin

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.

pizzapan