Author Topic: My Attempt At Thin Crust  (Read 2551 times)

Offline TronCarter

My Attempt At Thin Crust
« on: December 25, 2007, 10:24:27 PM »
Having had recent success with American Style and Pan Pizza, I decided to try one of the recipes for thin crust pizza.  I used the Deven's "Pizza Inn" Style Thin & Crispy Pizza Recipe found in the Recipe section.  I followed the directions exactly and thought I had done something wrong since a dough ball never really formed, it was just clumps of dough even after 10 minutes of mixing.  The other thin recipe said to put the dough in the refrigerator overnight but this one said leave at room temp, so that is what I did.   After about 18 hours it had roughly doubled in size.  I rolled it out on a lightly floured surface with my rolling pin.  It takes quite a bit of effort to get it thin and large enough but about 5 minutes of working did it.  I found that as the flour was absorbed by the dough ball it eventually got a little stickier and would hold its shape after rolling instead of sliding back.  I still really had to lean into it in order to get it pushed all the way out.  I don't have a cutter pan, so I used my deep dish pan and pizza wheel to do basically the same thing.  I then docked liberally with a fork and prebaked the crust for 4 minutes (as mentioned in the other thin recipe).   I came up with my own sauce recipe that worked out very well.  Once I recollect how I did it, I will make a separate post in the sauce area.  The top was perfectly done, crust was very good, but the bottom was a little light, no real browning.  I think I will try cooking it on the bottom rack next time.  It was in at 500 for about 15-16 minutes.

I also used the discarded dough pieces for some pseudo-crazy bread.  Not much like it because it was thin and crispy, but with the additions of garlic butter and Parmesan cheese and a pinch of kosher salt, it was a nice appetizer.

Here are my pics:

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: My Attempt At Thin Crust
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 10:57:28 AM »
Tron,

As a new member, you may not be aware that a few of us have recently tackled the DKM thin crust recipe at this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg48991.html#msg48991. We actually came up with what might be considered a breakthrough in the way the dough is prepared to allow it to roll out quite easily. That breakthrough is discussed for the first time at Reply 16 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg49138.html#msg49138. I think you will also find other useful tips in posts before and after Reply 16. To round out my series of experiments, I plan at some time to take another stab at the original DKM recipe but apply what I learned from the above thread to the DKM recipe in a more direct way.

As another tip, you might want at some point to get a darker pan to use if you plan to stick with pans with the cracker style. A light or bright aluminum pan will reflect heat rather than absorb it, resulting in a lighter colored crust. In my attempts using the DKM dough recipe, I (and member BTB) used a dark, anodized nonperforated pan. However, member Jackitup (Jon) used an aluminum foil/pizza stone method, and member fazzari (John) used only the stone. The thread first referenced above also describes how the DKM dough can be made using a food processor, stand mixer and even a hand-kneaded version.

Peter

pizzapan