Author Topic: Anybody else tried this method from Slice?  (Read 727 times)

Offline shuboyje

Anybody else tried this method from Slice?
« on: February 11, 2011, 09:34:34 PM »
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/09/how-to-make-great-neapolitan-pizza-at-home.html?ref=slice-bb1

I've really had a craving for pizza, and with the temperatures bellow 0 and 2 ft of snow in the yard the WFO just wasn't gonna happen.  Having a WFO in the backyard I lack a good stone so I decided to try a cast iron skillet and stumbled upon this method.  I modified it a bit from my use.  I got the broiler on in my oven and put the rack on the highest position.  I put my biggest cast iron skillet on my biggest burner and heated it up.  While it was heating I opened up the dough.  Once the skillet was heated I quickly put the skin in and topped it and loaded it into the oven under the broiler.  I loaded the first pie into the skillet at 600F and had to finish the bottom back on the stovetop for a minute after I took it out of the oven so for the second pie I got the skillet to 700F before loading the skin with much better results.  The second pie cooked in two minutes and did not require any additional time on the stove top.  Using my WFO pies as a 10 I'd give these a 8.  Certainly better then anything I can buy in Detroit.  They had move of an even browning on the crust rather then the leoparding of my WFO pies.  Between that and the way the cheese browned they looked more like a New Haven pie but had a softer wetter crust like a Neapolitan...kinda an odd combo but good.

The down side is that it created a lot of smoke in the house and the pies went so fast I didn't get any pictures for you guys. Well I actually got one cell phone shot of the second pie but it turned out so bad it isn't worth posting. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:36:20 PM by shuboyje »
-Jeff