Author Topic: What is wrong with this pizza #2  (Read 1776 times)

Offline northway

What is wrong with this pizza #2
« on: January 06, 2008, 06:31:09 PM »
Simple crust made with starter, flour and water
Ĺ cup starter
2 cups flour
1 tsp wheat malt
Add water to tacky, knead to gluten stage
Refrigerate over night pull from the fridge set in proofing bowls at dinner.
Drop, shape, apply toppings, and cook at high temp for supper
the bottom pie got away from me for a sec or 2 its a bit over cooked, but, the burn is the 1st slice I go for ;D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 06:33:59 PM by northway »

Offline Jackitup

Re: What is wrong with this pizza #2
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 06:56:36 PM »
Nothing.....is wrong with either pies, all look great. Do YOU think they're lacking anything? Even the last one looks great, I like a pie being a bit done in parts, uneven so to speak, get some toasty on some and stretchy/gooey on other parts.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
for me, it would be the rim is too small for my liking and the pie looks slightly overcooked.  and no salt ;-)

what is your ideal pie.. what are you shooting for?
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 01:11:55 PM »
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6043.0.html
This was my last one 'Philly Cheese Pork" pizza, which was a chewy NY style crust that turned out awesome. Otherwise I like the cracker style crusts alot. Read thru Pete's DKM threads where he and others really got the process working nice. I kind rode along in their wake adding a few things. Lot's of info and pics in these threads. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.0.html
As far as a bigger rim, when stretching and/or rolling out your dough take care not to compress the rim and keep your toppings at least 3/4"-1" from the edge. as for over cooked, well, watch the pie obviously and getting the right temp for different styles of pies. More toppings I've found a little lower heat, longer bake, light toppings more hot and fast.
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline northway

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 07:04:20 PM »
for me, it would be the rim is too small for my liking and the pie looks slightly overcooked.  and no salt ;-)

what is your ideal pie.. what are you shooting for?

My ideal pie is one that is never like the pie before it, :chef:  other then that there all good  ;D

This cracker style pie was eaten too fast never got a side shot 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 07:06:09 PM by northway »

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 07:23:16 PM »
Apart from cooking it for a lot less time on the second pie, I thought that you did a better covering the pizza with sauce and cheese.  In your first pie, there were a lot of burnt cheese at the edge - they burned quickly because they had no sauce under them.  You also had some uncovered tomato sauce on some parts of the edge, and without cheese, the pizza sauce boiled from the heat of the oven and dried out.  Was the oven slightly cooler for the second pie?

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 11:38:22 PM »
In your first pie, there were a lot of burnt cheese at the edge
Best part in my book, just like baked mac and cheese. Pies look great, but taste is where it's at. You could have the best looking pizza and if it tastes like dog doo, doo, what good is it?   :o
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline northway

mmmmmmm baked mac and cheese oYa and the after game pizza
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 12:22:24 AM »
Yes baked mac and cheese just what I need  ;D I tell you what, thats one I forgot all about after the cook walked out.
This is the after game pizza.
Basketball game tonight and a pizza after, this is the sourdough crust my kids love, and ask for all the time, Nice crunch on the outside soft but not chewy on the inside. Firm bottom no sag.

I donít try to copy any pizza in particular just what we like to eat, I think thatís where the regional flavor comes into play,

Use local produce and goods, make what everybody likes and thatís what we eat   
:chef: :chef: :chef:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 01:56:11 AM by northway »