Author Topic: Ruh-roh....Watch that basil  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Jackitup

Ruh-roh....Watch that basil
« on: December 21, 2007, 10:09:50 AM »
What's next, so much mass production and poor quality control on stuff, now it's gettin' to the basil too???
Jon

http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=80177
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline yaddayaddayadda

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Ruh-roh....Watch that basil
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 07:56:26 AM »
Yipes!  I understand buying a lot of different ingredients, but basil shouldn't be one of them ;)  c'mon people.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
As a USDA Meat Inspector, I have realized that people assume that meat is the only possible source for Salmonella or E.Coli, but you have to watch the greens too! I wash all of my fruit and vegetables in a weak hydrochloric acid soak (lemon juice, warm water, and salt) or FIT, the vegetable wash sold in stores. It does the trick. For greens, only wash before use, and use a salad spinner to get rid of excesss water.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 07:27:11 PM »
Yadda... I'm guessing that your response means that you think we should grow our own basil?  I have a lot of basil seeds of various types and I think I'm gonna go plant some.  Even this time of year, with a grow light, they should do just fine.

Sad that alfalfa sprouts, spinach... and now basil... can't be grown in cleaner conditions so that they don't make ppl sick.  Hard enough to get the American public to eat healthy foods without this kinda crap going on.  Unless I'm mistaken, the problems with the aforementioned all go back to unsanitary growing conditions, which CAN be controlled.  I seem to remember that the issue with sprouts became seed-borne, so growing your own doesn't even eliminate (so to speak!) the problem.

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 07:33:59 PM »
Hey SD,

Just be careful with the grow lights!!! Some people might think you are growing something different!!!!  :-D

I grow my own herbs and dry them out myself, I think home grown is the best way to go.

Goose
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 08:04:45 PM »
Hey SD,

Just be careful with the grow lights!!! Some people might think you are growing something different!!!!  :-D

Goose

HEH!  It's when I start lining the walls with tin foil that ppl might get REALLY suspicious!

Seriously, I grow my own herbs and dry them, too.  Our climate is mild enough that I have fresh parsley, thyme, oregano and rosemary in my garden right now.  There are just a few that I buy in the off-season because they don't dry well... fresh is the only way to go... such as cilantro.  Haven't tried growing that one indoors in the winter, but may start.  Even now, I can get a good-sized bunch of cilantro at the local Fred Meyer for 69c.  For that price, it's not worth the hassle of growing, except for that pesky old sanitation isssue...   :-\

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline vitus

• Mmmm... Pizza...
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 04:25:08 AM »
Until recently I didn't think that herbs could be a problem.
But some time ago the children in a school here became ill.
The health authorities tracked the source to some herbs (basil, in fact) in the school food.

It turned out that the basil was imported from Israel and Poland, and in those (and other) countries it is neither unusual nor illegal to water the plants with whatever water you have - in this case basically sewage water...
The school chefs followed the old "to preserve the taste, don't wash herbs and spices"-doctrine, so all the children was infected with coli-bacteria from the original watering of the basil.

pizzapan