Author Topic: Vito and Nick's  (Read 10377 times)

Offline BTB

Vito and Nick's
« on: January 11, 2008, 11:59:15 AM »
I love to report about my pizzamaking experiences, as I have, but don't know if I will be doing so for a while.  I have to tell you about a recent funny story that I'm still laughing about.

Being originally from Pizza Heaven (i.e., Chicago . . . I know my east coast friends have a different argument), I've been "hankering" for some good, old fashion, Chicago thin crust pizza (remember I'm down here in Florida) and recently came across Vito and Nick's website (very famous thin crust Chicago pizzeria) and saw that they sell (much like Lou Malnati's) frozen pizzas sent by special couriers.  Well I ordered a six pack of sausage pizzas from them last weekend over the internet, as I haven't had one of their great thin crust pizzas in a few years or so.  Delivery to Florida is only practical over the winter, as otherwise the weather is so warm as to thaw any delivery out too soon. 

So on Wednesday of this week, I received a DHL special delivery of 6 pizzas nicely wrapped in a special container with a dry ice-like cooler thing, and quickly put the pizzas in the freezer.  I was salivating for one, so my wife and I baked one on Wednesday night and it was terrific.  Good, tasty, wonderful, old fashion ultra thin crust Chicago pizza.  Yummy.  Oh, boy, was it good.  Their instructions were flawed, however, as they said to put it in oven on the highest rack.  My lessons at Pizzamaking.com taught me, however, that if you want it crisp, that the lowest rack is a better place. And that's exactly what I did.  And it turned out gr . . gr . . great!

Well, late yesterday morning (Thursday), my doorbell rang and it was again a DHL driver holding a bigger box in his hands, which he quickly handed to me and ran away back to his truck.  When I opened the box, I found 12 more sausage pizzas from Vito and Nick's in Chicago.  I didn't order them (ordered just 6 and received them the day before) and quickly confirmed over the internet that my credit card was not charged for them.  And I quickly emailed Vito and Nick's to inquire about the "mix up."  They later in the evening emailed me to have "a great party" not indicating a mistake, goofup, or whatever.  I believe they goofed up some how, but I just don't want to embarass them as they are a great source of great pizzas.

I have so many pizzas in my freezer now, that I don't know when I will be making some homemade pizzas for a while.  I've given a few to friends and neighbors and am awaiting my offer to my son, who lives over in Tampa, to take some from us.  Our freezer is bulging with pizzas.  What a funny situation.  The pizzas are great, however, and I don't want to start another thread on finding out the formulation on Vito and Nick's ultra thin crust pizzas, as there are so many others that are "on the burner" right now (e.g. HRI, Giordano's, etc.).  My wife and I are still laughing about the situation. 

I am just writing this up as I thought some of you would get a kick out of this situation.  Some pictures of this fabulous Chicago thin crust pizza are below.

--BTB

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Vito and Nick's
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 12:10:51 PM »
BTB,

Out of curiosity, what are the characteristics of the crusts of the pizzas? And was there any ingredients list and/or nutrition informatioin accompanying the pizzas you received?

Peter
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:13:26 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 01:49:38 AM »
Hmm...18 pizzas for the price of 6...makes it worth doing!
I wonder how the person that didn't get his dozen pizzas feels? I'm sure they made it right for them as well.

Just as a note, you did NOT get a Vito & Nick's pizza...you got a Vito & Nick's II pizza. Yep, BIG time family squabble aparently split them apart years ago...the "original" V&N website http://www.vitoandnick.com strongly distances themselves from V&N II locations and franchises. The original has 2 locations...the "home" on Pulaski on the SW side (not far from Midway Airport) and a newer one in the Lemont Lanes Bowling Alley. I've been to both and the pizza is great...I haven't been to any V&N II location but hear the pizzas are similar.

As far as the pizza goes (Pete-zza's inquiry), V&N is one of the legendary Chicago thin crust houses, and this is the ultra-thin cracker crust variety. Almost paper thing, it is done enough to support minimal toppings....a very light layer of sauce and cheese. Most notable is the traditional Chicago sausage topping. Similar, maybe a little more substantial than Zaffiro's in Milwaukee. IMHO these are two of the best examples anywhere of "bar style" cracker crust pizza.

Offline BTB

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 11:38:24 AM »
I was aware of the split in the family and have been to both to the original Vito and Nick's on Pulaski and the Vito and Nick's II restaurant in Mokena, IL on Rt. 30 where the frozen pizzas are prepared for their internet sales.  They are just about the same in their terrific taste and flavor, with the original location maybe having a slight advantage with those great, old deck ovens.  They are a Chicago pizza institution and "Southsiders" will argue with anyone that their Vito and Nick's is the King of Pizzas there.  And they also get very mad at you when you tell them that some consider "Chicago Style" to only mean deep dish pizza.

The crust is very thin.  I would guess around 1/16".  While often classified as a cracker crust style, I have always found them not to be as crispy as many other cracker crust pizzas.  Their crust is soft and tender when going towards the center after a crispier outside rim of an inch or more.  But still outstanding.  Seems like a medium hydration crust.  The frozen pizzas are not docked, but it appears that the dough had been pre-baked as the crusts are fairly browned underneath and the cheese seems slightly melted onto the pizza, but am not certain if the pizza with toppings was pre-baked or not.  Indeed, one of Chicago's best!

Offline BTB

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 10:40:15 AM »
Am still baking and using up my large supply of these great ultra thin crust V & N's pizzas.  Baked two yesterday during the playoff football games.  The were excellent and crisped up nicely when baked on the bottom oven rack.  I've baked several so far and given away a number of them.  Eleven down and seven to go!   Have to get through most of them before I can return to my original pizzamaking.  Sometime I have to figure out how to make this crust at home.      :-D       
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 10:52:52 AM by BTB »

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 03:54:34 PM »
Vito & Nick's II is outstanding pizza They started Franchising a couple of years ago and they are slowly...on purpose, growing the concept. Website is www.vitoandnicksii.com

Offline BTB

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 03:03:39 PM »
I caught the Food Network show, Diner's, Drive-ins and Dives, on television the other day with Guy Fieri and they had a feature on Vito and Nick's Pizzeria in Chicago.  The episode was called "Something from Everywhere" and is scheduled for re-broadcast on February 6th, 7th and 8th (2009) at varying times.  It was great seeing the sights from their old pizzeria on 84th and South Pulaski in Chicago again.  I had been there many times in the past and enjoyed their great thin crust pizzas.  The restaurant remains unchanged and their pizza as shown on the program, an ultra thin crust style, looks as good as ever. 

In one part of the segment they showed them making the dough.  They put 1 and 1/2 large bags of flour (think it was Ceresota) in a large mixing bowl, added a large amount of salt (unknown quantity), added approx. 1/2 to 1 cup of yeast (est. from viewing the clear container on the show), added 1/2 gallon of milk, and then added an undetermined amount of water.  They mixed it for 5 or 6 minutes, added some more water, mixed again and then covered the large mixing bowl with cloth.  The cook's comments were that they then would put it aside and punch the dough down every 20 or 30 minutes thereafter.  Fieri asked either how long they would keep the dough or when would they use it for pizza and the cook answered "tomorrow."  Check out the show if interested in seeing a great old fashion Chicago pizzeria.

Vito and Nick's (http://www.vitoandnick.com/)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 03:28:36 PM »
BTB
Some people have all the luck! And at this time I would wager to say there are none left in your freezer right? It appears you were siting on some pile of loot there $325+ dollars worth! So  they are  not shipping now according  to the website but looks like I will have to go for a 3 pak at $90 bucks. So times you just gotta say what the @#$
My next winfall I plan to try Malnatis delivery as well. I think there like $40 a piece too. :o My bad just checked 4 for 79 includes shipping thats more like it. If they were the exact same price which would you order??
Thanks for the chuckle!
John
oh side note: Guy Fieri was just here at the local BJ's Whole Sale signing copies of his book!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:40:21 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline BTB

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 03:51:59 PM »
Oh, no.  We've long consumed those terrific Vito & Nick's pizzas.  Now I just have memories of them . . .

You mentioned Lou Malnati's.  Not to tempt you or others, but I got an email from Lou Malnati's where I used to order some deep dish pizzas shipped to me when I first got down here to Florida.  They're great and I still miss their pizzas although I'm getting close.  Anyway, they have a special this month (Jan '09):

"Order any Lou Malnati's 4-pizza-pack during the month of January and receive $5 off your order. Stock up on the great taste of Lou Malnati's authentic deep-dish pizza. That way, when you crave that flakey buttery crust, gooey mozzarella cheese, and sweet tangy tomatoes, you will have them at your fingertips. Enter discount code JAN9 at checkout to receive your pizza savings. And remember, all prices include standard shipping so there are no shipping surprises at checkout!"  See http://www.tastesofchicago.com/category/1?r=Jan9p=JAN9

It's a little pricey, but sometimes worth the splurge.  For me 4 sausage pizzas would be $79.95 less the $5, so $74.95 (and that includes quick delivery with dry ice) or $18.73 per pizza.  The discount code is good for anyone.  They come in a tin that you can cook them in, but I found it best to take it out of their tin pan and use your own pan(their crusts are par baked so they're easy to take out, usually).  They stay fresh in the freezer usually for a good period of time, although they don't last too long in my house.  Tempting, eh?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 03:58:33 PM »
VERY! I pay $21 bucks for my favorite grandmas around the corner at Espisitos great pie! 16" square very thin crust, very popular!  and they are the ones who will sell me the #10,  6 in 1s for $3.79 very cool guy! I can imagine the marigins on Grandma as it probably weighs  much less than one of Lous too!

Jan09 it is! are those 12" they ship forgot to look
John 09
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline zspec1

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 05:55:12 PM »
Excellent  BTB, thanks for the link.  Now I know what to get the wife and I for Valentines day 8)

tastesofchicago.com/category/ 43

Offline BTB

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 09:26:09 AM »
Here's a recent article on the great Vito and Nick's pizzeria that typifies Chicago southside extra thin crust pizza.  I got to plan another trip back there this summer.

Chicago Essential: Vito & Nick's Pizzeria

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/06/chicago-essential-vito-and-nicks.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+feedmeaslice+%28Slice%29
                                                         --BTB            ;D

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 09:39:45 AM »
Has anyone actually worked up an actual "recipe" for Vito and Nick's crust? I would love to try it.... I ate there this past weekend for the first time and LOVED it!!! I was in Chicago for a show and had to my usual PIZZA overload... I tend to delve into the Deep Dish world of Malnati's etc but this time ventured into a few thin crust places as well. Originally from northern Indiana but now living in Nashville TN(for the past 25 years), it is a chicago style dead zone.... would love to experiment with chicago thin.

thanks,
Todd

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 05:12:48 PM »
Has anyone actually worked up an actual "recipe" for Vito and Nick's crust? I would love to try it.... I ate there this past weekend for the first time and LOVED it!!! I was in Chicago for a show and had to my usual PIZZA overload... I tend to delve into the Deep Dish world of Malnati's etc but this time ventured into a few thin crust places as well. Originally from northern Indiana but now living in Nashville TN(for the past 25 years), it is a chicago style dead zone.... would love to experiment with chicago thin.

thanks,
Todd

Yes, there is a well-developed V&N clone at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6368.100

For future reference, there is a list of Midwestern-style thin crust formulations at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16422.0.html   

:chef:

Offline spacelooper

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 07:19:46 PM »
Thank you so much .... I will be trying this as well as Garvey's thin crust recipe this weekend(hopefully). I will let you guys know how it went. I do love this forum.... Almost as much as I do pizza!

pizzapan