Author Topic: caputo flour question  (Read 2469 times)

Offline 12gauge

caputo flour question
« on: January 15, 2008, 12:46:39 AM »
I have done 2 batches of dough so far with my caputo pizzeria flour.
1 at 60% & 1 at 62%
60% cold fermented for 3 days & 6 days (33F)
62% about 18 hrs (prepped friday evening for sunday afternoon football party)
no suger in either.  garlic salt used at 2%.

both crust turned out better than anything i had done in the past with bread flour & before finding this site.  The 3 day cold ferment didnt rise as much as the 62% room temp ferment (60F in basement ?).  The 6 day ferment actually rose quite well, but it did see some time out of the fridge at the party(in cooler) & tasted excellent.

My question is, what can i do to increase the chew factor.  I like it more chewy, i do understand the caputo will be less chewy than a High gluten flour, but is there special techniques in handling or prep that will contribute to making it more chewy?  longer time in kitchen aid pro?  punch down in fermentation?  etc, etc?  without losing the oven spring.

thanks
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 12:49:03 AM by 12gauge »

Offline thehorse

• Lifetime Member
  • Less is more
Re: caputo flour question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 06:18:01 PM »
What temp did you bake at? I find with caputo pizza flour, if you bake at 550F or really anything under 800F, the dough tends to dry out due to a longer bake time. To get really good results w/ caputo, meaning a good combination of crispiness, lightness, and chew, you need over 800F and under 2min bake. Tip: Adding a little olive oil to your dough might preserve some chewiness.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 06:29:37 PM »
Using a thicker skin, i.e., more dough for the size of pizza, should also help. Using some oil, as mentioned by thehorse, is also a good idea.

Peter

Offline 12gauge

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 10:47:31 PM »
1st bake was at 550.

I tried again though, this time using the 2stone.  a little better, stone temp was 650 on the IR thermometer.  i ended up over cooking it unfortunately because i was trying to get the cheese & top to bake better, so it was starting to dry out.  cheese never did brown.

Offline benito

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 04:04:32 PM »
Typically a chewy crust can be achieved by a longer cook time but this would defeat the choice of the caputo flour, which would be a light soft crust with a crunch on the bite, and enough stability to hold the toppings

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 08:28:57 PM »
For a chewier crust just knead your dough longer. From what I have learned caputo can take much more kneading than other flours.  good luck!

pizzapan